Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange sighting in the western sky..

Options
  • 21-02-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

Was out wlaking my faithful sniffer hound when I saw a large glowing "ball" with a long trail out of the back slowly making its way across the horizon, seemed to big and slow to be a shooting star although I saw 3 tonight the sky was so clear here in Roscommon. Anyone else see this in the western sky tonight? Or am I finally going mad after drinking bleach..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Hey I saw something here in Cork, lower than a satellite, it was going too fast to be a plane but slower than a shooting star and flew the length of the sky.

A few people pulled over to get a proper look. It was heading north/north west. Only maybe 20 minutes ago.

Just cam here to post about it, anyone know what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well im glad we both saw it so unless were both drinking bleach...

Would love to know what it was for a brief second I thought it could be a plane on fire on the approach to knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It sounds like a satellite.

Maybe a satellite crashing to earth. I've seen plenty of satellites in orbit, this was way faster and definetely sub orbital. There was a trail of smoke behind it too.
    I remember seeing the footage of Mir crashing to Earth and I'd say that's the closest thing to what I saw earlier tonight, only it wasn't falling to pieces.

Is it common for a satellite or other space debris to fall out of orbit?

Only realised afterwards that I had binoculars in the car at the time but I completely forgot about them :( It was gone within a matter of seconds anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It seems to have aroused a bit of interest and confusion.

Really? Why and where?

Advertisement