Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent excessive dialups with ISDN router?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

hey its just simple winxp settings. Just set it to "never dial" or anything but "always dial". And if you want disable the option to let every computer dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its an ethernet based setup, hence ICS in the first case and an ISDN router in the current one.

as a result, all the machines will be set to never dial a connection, hence it looks for it through the network and the router (or ics server) starts the connection.

this is fine, and, normal. The problem is that XP espcially seems to access the internet a lot in the background, initiating the connection too often, without user intervention and costing a shed load of money.

With ICS you can allow the users to initiate or terminate the connection, but this means a PC has to be left on. AKAIR, a PC costs about 300euro per year to run on electricity! In any event, ICS is not an option for this application.

Im guessing I have two options:

1. An ISDN router with a connect threshold in addition to the traditional disconnect on

or

2. An ISDN router that confronts the client with a dialup page when you first acess the internet through a browser and requires a login or simply a click on a dialog box to confirm the connection. This would be a pain in the ass as you would need to open a browser window to start the connection if you wanted to use an email client prog or IM application.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The problem is that XP espcially seems to access the internet a lot in the background, initiating the connection too often.
    Network connections - Advanced - Dialup Preferences, tick the boxes "Always ask me before auto dialling" and "disable auto dialling when i am logged on"

as for the rest... *wooosh* :)

azezil wrote:
    Network connections - Advanced - Dialup Preferences, tick the boxes "Always ask me before auto dialling" and "disable auto dialling when i am logged on"

as for the rest... *wooosh* :)

im not sure how this solves the problem? It has no effect on the client machines, and requires user intervention on the ICS "server".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I had this problem back in my ISDN days, using a Cisco 1603. I was a Cisco newbie at the time, but eventually I figured out that the dial-up was being constantly triggered by my network's netbios traffic. So I got down and dirty with the IOS, and put some ACLs on to block it. Worked like a charm after that.

I might still have a copy of the config around somewhere, if you're interested.

• Advertisement

hi tomk, if you have the config handy, that would be great.

dont go to too much trouble, the comment on netbios is an interesting one. What if i blocked all netbios actvity with SP2's (admitedly crap) firewall?

SMB should still work without netbios right? as long as I assign a master browser to help things along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Shortly after I stopped using ISDN, I stopped using Windoze too, so I'm afraid I'm no longer qualified to answer those questions!

I'll see if I can dig out the config for you tonight - it was for IOS 12.2, AFAIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

why not get a flat rate package so it does not matter how many times it dials up the net?
    i dont see why anyone would go to the expense(rip off) of isdn and not get a flat rate package to go with it

tuxy wrote:
    why not get a flat rate package so it does not matter how many times it dials up the net?
    i dont see why anyone would go to the expense(rip off) of isdn and not get a flat rate package to go with it

hmm thats an interesting point. Still means you are one line down when you may need two, but at least its not costing a fortune.

always the simplest solution innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Make sure you've got RIP broadcasts and the like turned off on the router. That would cause a dialup about once a minute if enabled.
    Your router might not even support RIP, I'm only going on what I know of Cisco isdn routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Would it be just too inconvenient to unplug the ISDN line or power off the router when not in use?

Advertisement