Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily Dickinson Notes/Sample Answers - Anyone?

• 22-02-2005 12:42am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Im hoping somebody can post me up some good notes or sample answer on Emily Dickinson? Funny enough, I like her a lot more then Evan Boland who I find that bit more difficult! I need it by tmrow if at all possible!

Thanks in advance!

- Sully

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

You might wanna check out http://www.webenglishteacher.com/dickinson.html for some helpful links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

Sully04 wrote:
    Hey,

Im hoping somebody can post me up some good notes or sample answer on Emily Dickinson? Funny enough, I like her a lot more then Evan Boland who I find that bit more difficult! I need it by tmrow if at all possible!

Thanks in advance!

- Sully

Hey Sully dude, I know it's too late now but before the mocks I was working on a couple of poets in English (H) and I got a couple of notes on each of em' - if you ever want some PM me, although I've not everyone covered yet, but will have soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Just wondering if you have to write a letter to a poet telling them how you liked their poems etc. do you have to put 'you' in. What i mean is i did out a personal response to her poetry and where i said 'Dickinson uses the metaphor of.... can I just put 'you used the metaphor'? It's sounds weird though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jane Doe wrote:
    Just wondering if you have to write a letter to a poet telling them how you liked their poems etc. do you have to put 'you' in. What i mean is i did out a personal response to her poetry and where i said 'Dickinson uses the metaphor of.... can I just put 'you used the metaphor'? It's sounds weird though.

As far as I know yes, after all, your writing a letter to HER :)

Cheers for the notes, got them :) Thats something im gonna have to study hard, I know other stuff already but not great on poetry!

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Yes, if you're writing a letter to a poet then you have to make reference to your audience (in this case Emily Dickinson). Try using some of the following phrases/sentences:

I really enjoyed reading "...."
    My favourite of all your imagery would have to be "...."
    Your style is so unique and I admire the way you do not tend to stick to ordinary poetic structures/styles
    How did you conjure that image.....
    You have a fantastic range of writing that is protrayed quite well on the Leaving Certifcate Course....

etc etc..

On General Emily Dickinson Questions:

Any and every question on Dickinson will usually have to do with her idiosyncratic style of writing. So the best thing to do is write about each of her poems, detailing the imagery and general poetic style that defines her so brilliantly.. i.e. "I felt a funeral in my brain...." and the type of imagery she associates with each poem/emotion. All the time refereningc to what you think she is trying to say or write about..

Key To Dickinson: The way she looks at things in a totally different and original way and how she successfully lets the reader into her world (i.e. we actually understand what she is talking about by reading her poetry, no matter how obscure it is) And the type imagery she uses to explain her emotions, of happiness, pain, etc..

Hope that helps..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jelosofitch

Hey, im another person in bother with Dickinson, would you have notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ash16

Im also in need of some good Dickinson notes it'd be much appericated cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The funny thing is that the OP of this post has more than likely already graduated from University :p

Advertisement