Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'War Of The Worlds'

• 22-02-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who've been living under a rock and ain't heard of it yet... :)

Starring: Tom Cruise, Tim Robbins, Miranda Otto, Dakota Fanning
    Director: Steven Spielberg
    US Release Date: June 29, 2005
    Synopsis: A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells's seminal classic, the sci-fi adventure thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it.

I think it's fairly safe to say this film will make an absolute fortune at the Box Office. Doesn't look too bad either.

Teaser
    Superbowl TV Spot
    Japanese TV Spot

war_of_the_worlds.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What happened to the other one that was being made? Is that getting a release?
    I couldn't really care less about this film TBH.

...your 'War of the Worlds' poster is fecked btw. Looks like impawards.com don't appreciate folk linking their images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can't see anything wrong with the poster this side.. clear my cache and all still seems fine. Could possible be your side.. maybe your browser?

Didn't realise there was any other version being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Heh.. the picture seems to be working now. Cool poster.

The other version was low budget and set in the same era as the book (the Spielberg version is modern day). I'm not sure that it ever got finished though. I'd google up some info but I'm too tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Goodshape wrote:
    Heh.. the picture seems to be working now. Cool poster.
    Noted... cheers for the heads-up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Might as well ask ...
    What pet project is Spielberg jobbing for now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

The low-budget one is still on-course for a late march release. I checked their website a little while ago and they've put up a theatrical trailer, which includes some effects shots.

Oh my.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, saying that this could surely be redeemed by the effects, because all they had given us so far have been the shots of the boring, non-action parts.

These effects were done in MS Paint, I'm sure of it.

Anyway, official site of the low-budget one is here:
    http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

There are 3 War of the Worlds films in production atm.

1. Spielberg's one, due out over here July 8th (Cant f*cking wait!)

2. Pendragon's really low budget, special-fx-made-by-a-5-year-old version (the trailer looks pants)

3. And Jeff Wayne is producing a CGI movie based on his excellent musical. You can see clips of the fighting machines in action at www.waroftheworldsonline.com - this should be really good.

Spielberg's film is one of the only blockbusters I'm looking forward to this year. From the looks of it, he's back on top form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've been looking foward to this for some time. it is a little scary thinking of tom cruise in a film that's potentially brilliant, but we shall see....

oh and spielberg's next project is as a producer.... in TRANSFORMERS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At least, I´ll be very interested in seeing both these version of WOTW. The low budget one just to see the different time era and how they portray the whole thing in this respect. Thank god it IS set in this era, its probably the only interest generator in the movie now, if it was set in modern day as is the spielberg one, they´d be screwed.

The spielberg one I cant wait to see!! Gonna be blockbuster.

Okay, I just watched the trailer for the low budget one. I must say, the first CG shot looks great, the soldiers firing the artillery and the giant legs striding overhead looks great!

Except from then on it gets pants. Like, REALLY pants. Still though, I really want to see it after watching the trailer, looks like it could be a bit of fun to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tom Cruise really wrecks my head, but the kid seems like a good actor from the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Heres a new longer trailer for war of the worlds..
    its shows much more of how the film is going to go ..
    and it looks like there's going to be a fair lashing of cheese on this one..
    im still looking forward to it though/..

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/waroftheworlds/new_japanese_trailer_qt.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

The way things are going I'm wondering if theres actual aliens in the movie. I know theres going to be a lot of action, but the trailers could of shown us a bit more.

Also I'm dying to know how the aliens will be defeated. I really hope Spielberg sticks with earth defeating the aliens instead of humans, which he probably will. But how is he going to do it? Most 9 year olds wouldnt buy the original ending, it was great back then, but it wont fly now. Maybe a natural disaster or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I think them not showing the aliens is a good thing, very Speilberg, remember you dont see the shark for ages in Jaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I wonder how well it will go down in the US.

If it is done correctly then the US military are going to be utterly defeated by the "martians". As opposed to Independence Day were their fighther jets were more than a match for the alien spaceships.

I'm still not too crazy about the aliens not being from Mars though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

I hope he get's Jaws to eat them.

If it is done correctly then the US military are going to be utterly defeated by the "martians". As opposed to Independence Day were their fighther jets were more than a match for the alien spaceships.

Yeah, the whole idea of inevitable defeat and helplessness to great.....we don't need a repeat of Independance Day thank you very much, Hollywood.

Talking about Independance day, something made a fantastic post about all the things that were wrong with independance day in relation to the human v futuristic alien ideal....

Try find it, its brilliant. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

As opposed to Independence Day were their fighther jets were more than a match for the alien spaceships........

hope there's no gung-ho 4th of july american president speech scenes in it either. God that independence day scene kills me. I can still picture all the red-necks in the cinema shouting - "Yeeaaaaaaaaaaah" and "You the man"!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

this should be good, the trailer's great.

definitely could be a cheese fest... :)

Advertisement