Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introduce yourself?

Options
  • 22-02-2005 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

thought I would give this a go.
    I'm 29, been involved on a spiritual level for the last 6 years, thats to say, I'm empathic/clairsentient moreso (or at least I was), borne out of a desire to heal, familiar with most metaphysical aspects, might go into in detail someother time when I have more confidence.

Lost interest after a vicious attack by some ego's..I mean mediums and not sure in which direction I'm going at the moment..just trying to go with the flow and heal.

I used to say love and light a lot.
    ;)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi solas, weve met elsewhere ;) Am spiritual, looking for direction! I am shut down at the moment, as I have a lot on, and am a bit negative, so its the best thing to do (you draw in what you are).

Thanks for pointing me to this forum, eh, love and light back at ya! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please read the charter and you may find the stickie on the new age spiritualism intresting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

In the same boat myself katiek. Doing my best to just accept my lot and just move on or deal with it or something.

still a bit shaky on the legs after being thrown off balance a while back, must be something in the air eh?
    you draw in what you are
    I think that works both ways, but its a good topic for discussion.
    I tend to just amplify whatever is in the air.
    It's like that saying good things happen to good people, which in essence is portrayed as in do unto others etc..but even the Jesus bloke said that and they crucified him, seems to me like lots of good people suffer.
    I'm having issues with that at the minute.
    I understand the basic concept that you can choose to be or see whichever polarity you are (what you draw in) and thats a responsibility... but I have questions.

btw katie, are the foothills of mountdoom out in killrossanty? Do I know you?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

thanks thaed, I dont think I'll break the charter unless thru ignorance :o Just gently skimmed the new age thread, and its definitely my area, just Im completely self taught, and have not done any real 'research'. So will learn as I go.

Solas, we talked in a thread before, must change my location, thats awfully negative :D had just reread lord of the rings....

My way of looking at the draw in what you are aspect, is very literal, if spirit surround us, (which I believe they do) negative spirit will be drawn to a negative mind and visa versa.

• Advertisement

My way of looking at the draw in what you are aspect, is very literal, if spirit surround us, (which I believe they do) negative spirit will be drawn to a negative mind and visa versa.
    thats the bit I question. I do agree..to an extent, but I also think in terms of electrons, a negative charge is always drawn to a positive charge. I'm reminded of instances where children who are very highly charged (aware) can pick up spirit like velcro, just because they carry the charge and energy to do so.
    For three years I had no issues with negativity until someone placed a suggestion in my head, and it was along the lines of "reach out to those in the darkness". I was working with children with behavioural problems at the time and often had to deal with awry energies.

It was a bit challenging. If you are strong enough spiritually you will always be able to reconcile with that energy, or find a way to "transmute" it in spiritual terms., and it's not that I was in a "dark" state of mind, quite the opposite in fact, which is where the negative positive charge makes sense.

hope I'm making sense.

<edit>also..just wanted to add, being empathic is very much (as you may know) feeling vibrations, it would be great to only feel good vibrations, but reality is not like that, it's good bad and ugly, for me it was just a question of acknowledging and letting go...

think I'm just recharging my batteries. (paranormal just wasn't a place to do so)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

hi since we are on introductions im catastrophy and im brand spanking new :p if i were a product id still have the plastic cover on. but I'm well at a point of seeking out information and making connections in the pagan community

ill appologise in advance if i make any silly comments :o please put it down to inexperience but i have to say the forum is a good source of information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I'm delighted to see this forum, just came across it. I read the new age spirituality sticky and must say that I have very much evolved into new age thought, I'm interested in crystals, energy work and holitistic health, both physical and mental health.

Solas, with regards to the build up of negative energy, I have a friend who is very knowledgable, she practises Reiki and may know some stuff on how to rid yourself of it, I'll ask her and post it up here. I do know that being in nature, gardending or being beside the sea can help. I use crystals to help clean my energy, also if you meet someone with lots of negative energy, when speaking to them, avoid standing face to face to them, if you turn your body to one side, the flow of their energy passes you by. (I've tried this and it really, really works). As I say this is a new thing for me, it's just little tips I've gathered along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

A nice meditation technique I was shown which works quite well at getting rid of negative energy that has built up is to get into a comfortable position in a quiet place etc. Then once you've settled into your usual meditative postion start to focus on your base/1st chakra. Visualise energy flowing up from the earth into your base chakra and then flowing back down and through you. Work your way up each chakra, don't rush, take your time going as quickly or slowly as you want, spending time on each chakra as you reach it. You should visualise a column of energy flowing up from the earth through each chakra and flowing down and around back into your base chakra. When you eventually reach your top/7th chakra visualise the energy forming a protective bubble as it flows up through your chakras from the earth to your 7th chakra and flows down around you back into your base chakra. So your building up more and more energy. From this meditation it is then very easy to go on and do journeying meditations as you have raised a lot of energy in you (replacing the negative energy you had built up as you do it), aligned your chakras and you have created a nice protective shield. Once you've finished your meditation including another other forms of meditation you do after raising the energy don't forget to ground and bleed off any excess energy you don't need.

Neil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

NeilJ wrote:
    Once you've finished your meditation including another other forms of meditation you do after raising the energy don't forget to ground and bleed off any excess energy you don't need.
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if someone didn't ?

• Advertisement

Nausea, blinding headaches, nose bleeds, hyperactivity leading to any of the above. General crash and burn mood and apparently or so I've been told, in very extreme cases psychotic episodes. But as long as you ground you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. A common technique to do this is to imagine you're a tree and visualise the excess energy flowing down your roots back into the eart. Eating after meditation also is a natural form of grounding, chocolate is especially good at this, I kid you naught!!!!

Neil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hmmm, I was thinking about trying to build up as much energy as possible to see what happened but that doesn't sound very pleasant so I might have to reconsider.

Think of it like this. You're raising lots of energy that you're not using. It has to get used up or at least leave your body someway and energy tends to follow the path of least resistance. If that means flowing through you and damn the consequences it will if you don't ground properly.

Neil

I really should probably introduce myself seeing how as I've made two posts so far on this thread and neither has been an introduction. So anyway, I'm a 23 year old Biochemistry graduate from UCD. I'm from Dublin where I still live with the folks. I follow a mainly wiccan path but do use some Shamanic practises which I'm trying to develop more and more. I'm also the founding Auditor and co-founder of the UCD Pagan Society.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Building up engery is not the problem it is what you will don with it once you have generated it.

From simple mediation you are not going to suffer such the extremes as listed above. Grounding is a little like pinching yourself when you come out of
    mediation which can be a form of lucid dreaming. You need to wake into the real world and close down some the sesnses you were using.

Any big building up engeries can have side effects.
    Think on it as spinning arround and arround with your arms out straight
    ( which can also raise enrgy) you have to take the time to sit and sort your head out, otherwise if you try walk you will fall on your bum or land and twist an ankle.

Eating having a cup of tea starts off your bodys natural functions that may be
    put on hold while you mediate.

Yeah would agree, for simple meditations you don't need to do much by way of grounding so something like eating should do the trick. But I have to say I've never known anyone who didn't at least end up with a headache when they raised a lot of energy and didn't ground afterwards. I probably overemphasis on grounding a bit when talking to people. But that's just because I feel that it is something people often leave out in their meditation routine despite it's importance. This year when we first started talking about meditation at meetings of the ucd pagan society one of the first things that had to be explained in detail to members with little experience was what grounding was and how to do it. Most had never heard of it and had already wondered why they sometimes got headaches and didn't feel well after meditation. And in fairness when you look at a lot of the beginners books out there you find that while most will discuss meditation is some detail and talk about visualisation and raising energy, almost none talk about grounding afterwards.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

NeilJ wrote:
    But I have to say I've never known anyone who didn't at least end up with a headache when they raised a lot of energy and didn't ground afterwards.
    Done it, got a bit "spacey", really it's not that different to what anyone might mean if they say someone "wasn't grounded". No headaches.
    NeilJ wrote:
    And in fairness when you look at a lot of the beginners books out there you find that while most will discuss meditation is some detail and talk about visualisation and raising energy, almost none talk about grounding afterwards.
    Not my experience, though one or two, while including some work for grounding at the end don't differentiate it from the rest, and explain that it's a grounding thing. Really though I don't think I've seen anything leave out grounding unless its aimed at an advanced enough audience that they can just say "now ground".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rothen

Im rothen, i have practiced magic (depending on who you ask) for nearly two years now or else 6 months :D
    Okay, so thats a little confusing but you'll get to know me in time I'm sure. As for a spiritual path - well...i dont really have one, I tried wicca :rolleyes: but soon grew out of that. Its a pick n' mix for me and that suits me to the ground.

Re: grounding, I agree Neill that not enough books on meditation mention anything about grounding, I've been doing light meditations for years and never grounded, like Talisman I get a little spaced out after, and sometimes I am extremely tired, so much so I've often gone to bed after it, but I like the chocolate idea after meditation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Well, chocolate is always good, though I find something starchy works best myself.

Cigarettes are grounding if you're addicted to them, working via the repetition of smoking an addict has, but quite the opposite if you're not. Obviously that doesn't make getting yourself addicted to cigarettes a good idea (it can interfer with the actual meditation or energy work itself anyway), but I find it interesting that when you do have an addiction then feeding it brings you back down to ground.

I've occasionally wondered whether people like Heyoka ("contraries") in Lakota culture are deliberately preventing themselves from ever grounding by constantly acting against social norms. Of course they lived in a culture that made room for people doing so, and we do not, so even if my musings there are near the mark it still isn't a good idea!

• Advertisement

"people like Heyoka ("contraries") in Lakota culture are deliberately preventing themselves from ever grounding by constantly acting against social norms"

Who are the Heyoka, and in what way do they differ?

Advertisement