Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4ghz with my new Rig :O)

Options
  • 22-02-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭

and a 30 second SuperPi 1M

P3.4e @ 4.012ghz
    2 x 512mb G.Skill PC-4400 LE
    ABIT IC7-G Mobo
    MSI GeForce 6800GT TD256
    2 x 200GB Seagate Barracuda IDE
    Aircooled by XP120

SuperPiscore.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

nice. have you done a burn in test, Ie. like running 3dmark05 in continuous mode for some time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No I am not claiming 4ghz stable, only stable enough for Windows and some benchmarks, not Prime95 12 hours stable.

I ran the Prime95 torture test last night at 3.9ghz with no errors for 12hrs so is defo stable at 3.9. Too much load heat at 4ghz, should easily be able to achieve a 4ghz stable 24/7 when I go watercooled next month.

Ran 3D Mark 05 this morning and scored 5000, that's without O'C or tuning the Graphics card. I only put the lot together last night.

Looking good tho :O)

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

if you get your-self some good cooling you might get futher on that chip i get 4.25ghz stable with a bog standard watercooling set-up have you uped the voltage when your overclocking it it will make it more stable but it will also make it hotter ....very good all the same ...it a great feeling seeing that 4 ghz on you screen :eek: congrats man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

like dub said up the vcore and you will see 4ghz stable maybe even up to 4.1 stable. B.t.w nice ram , how much that set u back and were did u buy it???

Got the ram from [URL=http://]pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk/[/URL]

Cost me €300, they are located in Celbridge, Kildare and deliver by registered post for free.

The CPU I have can drop the multiplier, I believe, if my Bios supports it (am investigating) which would mean I could really give the RAM a workout 260FSB x 16 Multi for 3.9ghz would give awesome memory performance.

Inqui

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote:

The CPU I have can drop the multiplier, I believe, if my Bios supports it (am investigating) which would mean I could really give the RAM a workout 260FSB x 16 Multi for 3.9ghz would give awesome memory performance.

Inqui

Yeh that would be cool if you can drop the multi, get the ram running nice and fast lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well you can only drop the multi on engineering samples or on some mobo's older bios's can trick the mobo into thinking it's a lower speed chip. I never heard of that on the Ic7 range though.

Nice overclock btw ;). Did you try upping the voltage like the others said? You safe to at least 1.5vcore for 24/7 use providing temps are alright. Keep your load below 60-65c and your fine.

BloodBath

Some of the newer prescotts can be Multi dropped to 14 as mine can :O)

see [URL=http://]forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=151336[/URL]

so last night I dropped it to 14 from 17 after flashing the BIOS on my IC7-G to the latest version.

The G.Skill PC-4400 LE I have does exactly what it says on the tin. At an FSB of 265 It delivered timings of 2.5-3-3-7 @ stock voltage, which is not to be sniffed at.

14 x 265 = 3.710ghz, so when I try again tonight I need to attempt to get it to perform with those timings at even higher FSB's. An FSB of 286 would constitute 4ghz with massive memory bandwidth. I shall be upping the VDimm to see if I can gain some more stability and achieve this.

SuperPI remains locked on 30secs, though I did break 5000 on 3D Mark 05 and there is still lots to come from the 6800GT.....need to fit my NV Silencer using AS5 and dump the stock cooler.

Some Asetek Vapochill XE cases going on Ebay in the UK for around £200.....might be tempted in a couple of months.

Inqui

2 x 512mb G.Skill PC-3200 / PC-4400 LE
    2 x Seagate Barracude 200gb HD (IDE)
    Aircooled Thermalright XP120
    Thermaltake Shark Case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Thats right all the new high end mobos.."775 and the newer 478,s ".. will allow you to drop your muiltpier but i think you have to have at least a 3.2ghz or 3.4 ghz to do it with ...asus was the first to do this with there p5xxx range of mobos ...as far as i know other mobo makers have followed asus,s lead ...you can go from 14 up to the chips normal but not above....as you said its a great way of of pushing the hell out of the ram ...it would be nice to see some of your sisoftsandra memory benchmarks... if you could post ...best of luck with it enjoy ..but if i was you id get myself some watercooling ,then the fun will really begin :D

i had a vapochill my reason for selling it was because the was a lot of mobos that wont work with nearlly all the asus mobos didnt work ..but abit seems to be ok but there are all sorts wire tricks and also the opion of using a second psu so if i was you i,d go to the forum and youll find a sticky telling you of which mobos work and which dont before spending that much cash ...as i didnt and payed the price

dubdvd

SiSoft Sandra Memory Tests @ 270FSB and 2.5-3-3-7

270 *14 = 3.78ghz

sisoftmembest.jpg

This score was 5% below the best I got, and I think there is more to come. Windows fell apart on me and when I get to the XP Welcome screen, there are no accounts for me to logon with, tho the mouse pointer moves with the mouse, so it's not frozen.

PC boots fine to Linux and all HD are still there, so no hardware issues. Don't have a Windows XP CD to troubleshoot with as I am using the OEM windows that came with my old Packard bell PC.

Inqui

• Advertisement

Those scores are nearly the same as mine with my pc3500 ram, LOL :D

True, but there is a good way to go yet, once I fix XP.

290FSB is not unheard of for this memory, and my Mobo and CPU can live with that so I am hoping for 7500-8000 tops :D

Inquitus wrote:
    True, but there is a good way to go yet, once I fix XP.

290FSB is not unheard of for this memory, and my Mobo and CPU can live with that so I am hoping for 7500-8000 tops :D

good luck with 8000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

what was your vcore @ for the 270FSB?

Vcore was 1.50
    VDimm was 2.65

Then windows lost the plot :O(

Will repair XP tonight and push for a higher FSB up to a max VCore of 1.57 and a max VDimm of 2.9

Inqui

Will publish some screenies

I wouldn't use over 1.5v vcore for 24/7 use. 1.55-1575 is fine for benchmarking but your asking for trouble leaving it at that vcore.

Your ram should be fine and still waranted up to 3.0v.

BloodBath

thought those cpus were 'ok' till vcore-1.65v????

From my research anything above 1.60 and you are risking your CPU, OK for a screenie and a quick benchmark........but risky, and certainly not 24/7.

Everyone seems to agree 1.5V for 24/7

Anyway in my OC'ing the other night I fecked the Windows Registry, probably all the failed boots etc etc as I tweaked it, and can no longer log on :O(

I have a linux boot disk - Knoppix, so I know all the Hardware is working fine. Will slave up my boot HD rescue all the data, then do a re-install.

Inqui

Inquitus wrote:
    From my research anything above 1.60 and you are risking your CPU, OK for a screenie and a quick benchmark........but risky, and certainly not 24/7.

Everyone seems to agree 1.5V for 24/7

Anyway in my OC'ing the other night I fecked the Windows Registry, probably all the failed boots etc etc as I tweaked it, and can no longer log on :O(

I have a linux boot disk - Knoppix, so I know all the Hardware is working fine. Will slave up my boot HD rescue all the data, then do a re-install.

Inqui

Yeh it happens when oc'in a lot, if you mess around too much it fecks windows up

Just repair it with the windows disk if you can. It's happened to me before while overclocking but I managed to repair it.
    thought those cpus were 'ok' till vcore-1.65v????

On a Prescott? Definitely not.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    Just repair it with the windows disk if you can. It's happened to me before while overclocking but I managed to repair it.

On a Prescott? Definitely not.

BloodBath

Whats their default?? 1.45???

Default is 1.385V

Inqui

so up to 1.6v is fine on watercoooling 24/7????

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

No don’t think so Gline, Heat is not the issues at those volts. I think those volts will damage the wires them selves

I'd say you would be alight to about 1.55 on wc. I's not an exact science but 1.6 is risky. Chips have fried in short spaces of time at this voltage, others haven't. It's up to you if you want to take the risk.

BloodBath

if it lasts me a year il be happy, LOL

Advertisement