Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in Italy

Options
  • 22-02-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I am heading over to Italy - Amalfi Coast region for my summer holidays and am going to rent a car. Everybody keeps on saying to me - "Don't do it. They are all mad over there !!"

How bad can it be - I am going to take out the full insurance on the car and I am a competent and confident driver so I don't see the problem.

Anyone agree or disagree ?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Jildy wrote:
    "Don't do it. They are all mad over there !!"

Having driven in Italy a fair few times in the past, and 'discovered' Irish driving over here since September '04, I'd say there's a good case of charity mocking the hospital : They may drive a bit more 'nervously' than here, but at least they know how to! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They are a bit crazy. They tailgate a lot and drive very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They are a bit crazy. They tailgate a lot and drive very fast and overtake to on blind bends.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are a bit crazy. They tailgate a lot and drive very fast and overtake to on blind bends.
    are we now talking about Ireland or Italy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ul b ok, they do drive insanely. just rent a mid sized safe car. most of them drive ****tty seicentos and renault 5s so if they crash into u it will be them that are dead/ injured and not u :D also their parking leaves ALOT to be desired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Look, I'll give you the same advice I've always given my foreign m8s when they visit & drive in Paris (because the driving is very comparable, when you're not used to it):
    whatever you drive,
    wherever you're going,
    do NOT, EVER, hesitate while driving.

If you miss a turn, or you're not sure to go left or right or whatnot, better you go wrong and turn around later, than diddle-daddle at 10 mph or pile on the brakes - that's when the local fauna is taken by surprise and bad things happen. So long as locals can tell what you're going to do in your rental car in the next 2 seconds timescale, just be on your way and keep the blinkers on, they'll know what to do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

All sound advice and what I had more or less anticipated.

Thanks.

Will probably rent a focus or stilo sized car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

It's not that bad! I've driven an Alfa Romeo 156 around Tuscany without and problems. Italian roads are far better than Irish roads and are a joy to use. If you're used to driving in Ireland you're capable of driving anywhere in the world in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its not a bit mad - I drove around Italy for two weeks on business last year and didn't see any difference between there and here. The motorways (autostrada) are a bit fast but I was able to keep up in my 1.2 Punto. City driving is no more nuts than any other country which has rush hour traffic - 'hesitate and get beeped at' applies everywhere.

'c

Advertisement