Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay character on Corrie

Options
  • 22-02-2005 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Ok, donno what his name is but the blonde guy on Corrie that is Gay and living with Elieen and her son, is he really gay in real life?

I think he's hilarious, and a really great actor, but is he really GAY??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Very.

He was in Queer as Folk UK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

LOL

I suppose its fairly obvious really!! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Fancy a part along side him maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭c3van5

hes not my type, but he is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I think he's annoying and he honestly does my head in. It's the ott campness, purely cause the english public can't digest anything but a hyper active queen. How is he a good actor if he's just playing the role he normally plays in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

He used to have his own show where he played a hair dresser that had his own sallon... it was very, very funny and it was largly due to him. I think it was on ITV.

• Advertisement

to be fair they did have todd on corrie and he was anything other than the stereotypical queen. the only reason sean is in the programme is that they are putting a dose of realism into the programme, there are a load of camp men in the uk and they are believe it or not quite entertaining.

Todd was a tool and how anyone could praise that storyline is beyond me. It shows gay men as immoral, manipulative, deceitful randy bastards, who lead women on and shag anything they can behind their backs. They didn't portray him in a good light. also I've no problem with camp men, it can be hilarious, but his acting just seems very forced and artificial, maybe I just haven't encountered people that camp yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

there are a load of camp men in the uk

Mmm. A high proportion of them live in Manchester. Logic dictates that some would eventually make it to the suburb of Weatherfield..

Boston wrote:
    It shows gay men as immoral, manipulative, deceitful randy bastards, who lead women on and shag anything they can behind their backs.

Do you not think it portrayed him as a confused soul who could be forgiven his sins becaus of his inner turmoil. (sudden=ly my leaving cert macbeth is coming right back at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tigerwex

i think this situation was very very realistic and i have to say fiar play to corrie very good storyline and why not get a laugh out of sean i love it why he calls jason "J BOY" lol drives him mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

His name is Anthony Cotton and yes he is gay in real life. He has responded to claims about playing a "stereotypical gay character" by saying he doesn't give a **** because he knows plenty of real gay men who are similar to Sean and he's having fun.

Of course he was also invovled in QAF, a show that famously gave the one fingered salute to any lobbying groups who felt the show had a duty to depict gay life in a certain way.

c3van5 wrote:

Do you not think it portrayed him as a confused soul who could be forgiven his sins becaus of his inner turmoil. (sudden=ly my leaving cert macbeth is coming right back at me!

It shows him as a man that left his wife and new born child for someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Boston wrote:
    Todd was a tool and how anyone could praise that storyline is beyond me. It shows gay men as immoral, manipulative, deceitful randy bastards, who lead women on and shag anything they can behind their backs. They didn't portray him in a good light. also I've no problem with camp men, it can be hilarious, but his acting just seems very forced and artificial, maybe I just haven't encountered people that camp yet.
    It shows him as a man that left his wife and new born child for someone else.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wasn't impressed with the storyline - would it have been that difficult to get a single character to be going through the turmoil of figuring out his sexuality, rather than implying that gay men while masquerade as straight for long enough to make sure they can cause the biggest heartbreak possible to those around them. And yer man that "led him astray" was a downright assh0le, he was really selfish and uncaring and wanting nothing but to get in Todd's pants. No, no I didn't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Yeah of course......cos men and women who have childern can never turn out to be gay....that just cant happen!

Sure it portrayed gay men in a terrible light but it did portray what some men have to go through!

This might be of interest.

Can't remember where I read it, but I think it was also on digital spy, but yer man what lives with Eileen(I cant remember his name either) is soon to find Adam Baldwin(no not a U.S actor:D ...Ken Barlows Grandson/Mike Baldwins son) in a gay club in canal street, starting a new story line in coronation st.

solice wrote:
    Yeah of course......cos men and women who have childern can never turn out to be gay....that just cant happen!

Sure it portrayed gay men in a terrible light but it did portray what some men have to go through!

Nobody is saying they can't, just that they shouldn't get a free pass, just because their gay doesn't make it right to leave from wife and kids the way he did. Nobody would expect a gay man to stay with his wife but it was so underhanded the way it was done in the show. And as pointed out, the other guy was protrayed as a sex mad home wrecker, that ****ed up todds family life just for his own ****es and guiggles.

Todd came across as a very confused bloke, and I think he protrayed the role very well. I myself have been in a simular situtation, and could relate quite well to the storyline. In fact, I think Todd was more Bisexual than actually a full blown Gay.

Whatever about Sean, I wouldn't have minded a role along side Todd!

Earthman wrote:
    This might be of interest.

Can't remember where I read it, but I think it was also on digital spy, but yer man what lives with Eileen(I cant remember his name either) is soon to find Adam Baldwin(no not a U.S actor:D ...Ken Barlows Grandson/Mike Baldwins son) in a gay club in canal street, starting a new story line in coronation st.

ha ha ha! does that mean that sarah lou fancied ANOTHER gay man? pricelessness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

As far as I know, the writer of Beautiful Thing (Jonathan Harvey?) is one of the writers for Corrie now, and writes the storylines for Sean alongside someone else who I can't remember... interesting tidbit I thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Daran Little is the other write and is also gay.

Jonathan Harvey is also the creator of Gimme Gimme Gimme.

• Advertisement

So, yet another gay character to join Corrie. He's kinda cute too!

Advertisement