Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying from the Forecourts

Options
  • 22-02-2005 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm about to buy my first (secondhand) car in this country and have a few questions about buying from the forecourts.

I know that the dealer prices listed on CBG and elsewhere are all inflated. But how inflated? In other words, how much should I hope to haggle off the price in percentage terms? Or, if the car is listed for €20,000, what should I expect to pay, how should I proceed, what should be my initial offer, etc.?

Also: I wouldn't buy from a private seller without having the AA check the car out first. But do I have to take the same precaution if I'm buying from a dealer?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

What kind of car are you looking for ?

My car was 23,300 new last June.
    I brought it to a dealer last week and he offered me 17,250 for it. I reckon he would re-advertise it at 22,000 and you probably get it for under 21,000.

My car is still for sale if your interested !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since you are buying for the first time you are in a great position, i.e. you have cash in your hand and have no trade-in.

On a car that cost €20k you should be looking at getting between €1,200 to €1,500 cash discount. If you are getting no joy with this then do not be afraid to walk away and go to the next garage.

I know somebody like yourself who bought their first car recently, looked at a 03 Opel Zafira 1.8 auto, dealer was looking for €21,500. He was willing to take €20k cash. My colleague offered €18k not a penny more and gave the dealer his number if he changed his mind and went away. Two days later the dealer rang him and said he would accept €18,500 bottom price. He bought the car. Granted an automatic is harder to move but you can get a good deal out there, just be prepared to patient.

Ideally if you know somebody who has experience of buying cars or knows a little bit about cars then my advice is take them with you. You should get a warranty with the car, propably 12 months depending on the year of the car which should cover any mechanical problems.

For extra peace of mind you could get the AA to do a detailed check of a car you have your heart set on but this can be pretty expensive. Again if you know someone who is a bit knowledgeable then they could look at it for you, just buy them a couple of pints in appreciation. A garage should have no problem with you getting a car checked out, if they do then they are hiding something and walk away.

Advertisement