Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speeding fine...

Options
  • 22-02-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

So I got pulled over yesterday by an unmarked car.. took my reg, and licence details, but i was issued with no ticket (or any sort of receipt).. but told it would be a EUR80 fine and to drop insurance details into my local police station (I'm currently waiting on uptodate insurance disks to be sent out, as the insurance company sent me out the wrong year!).. so two questions basically.. will a fine most likely appear in the post and will there be points issued?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kali wrote:
    So I got pulled over yesterday by an unmarked car.. took my reg, and licence details, but i was issued with no ticket (or any sort of receipt).. but told it would be a EUR80 fine and to drop insurance details into my local police station (I'm currently waiting on uptodate insurance disks to be sent out, as the insurance company sent me out the wrong year!).. so two questions basically.. will a fine most likely appear in the post and will there be points issued?

Depends, the 5 points is for not having insurance (not having your disk missing)...

Unless you were stopped for speeding too there would be no points (assuming you were insured and do bring it to the station)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Depends on a few things you haven't explained, really:

Did they have anything to measure the speed (other than their car speedo, that is)?
    What did they say the fine would be for?
    For that matter, did they categorically & clearly state what the fine would be for?
    Did you ask for a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I read somwhere ( on this board ) that oif the cops don't produce photgraphic evidence then theres no crime.

Do a search..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ambro25 wrote:
    Depends on a few things you haven't explained, really:

Did they have anything to measure the speed (other than their car speedo, that is)?
    What did they say the fine would be for?
    For that matter, did they categorically & clearly state what the fine would be for?
    Did you ask for a receipt?

1. Not to my knowledge.. although they could have a dash-mount camera.
    2. Speeding... but not categorically, as in he mentioned an 80EUR fine, and in the context it was clear it was down to the speeding, rather than insurance.
    3. Hell no :)

The insurance thing is just a standard go down and show your details (which they will always do if they find you're not covered).. I've had to do that before, its just the non-issue of any ticket which I'm confused about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

2 points and €80 fine winging their way to you in the post

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Peace wrote:
    I read somwhere ( on this board ) that oif the cops don't produce photgraphic evidence then theres no crime.

Do a search..
    Further to Peace's linked thread, there were some instances where (two?) Judges dismissed cases because a permanent record was not kept. However, most judges did not follow this route and promptly convicted many speeding motorists.
    The law in question there was changed, the change coming into force on January 20th and this law does not require a permanent record. Whether this is legal has not yet been contested though.

Out of curiosity, what speed were you doing and what was the limit?

If there was a dashmounted camera, only argument might lie in the calibration/absence thereof. But then I didn't think there were any over here? :confused:

If there was nothing but their speedo, argument might lie that
    1) it isn't calibrated to record speed offences
    2) because of 1), difference of calibration between theirs and yours might well account for their (wrongful) conclusion that you were speeding...

All well and good so long as you get a solicitor to argue that for you, and that you didn't overtake 'em doing 60 in a 30 zone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 joedublinka

unmarked garda cars rarely stop people unless they are really flying, if this is the case u would do well to may the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

No ticket - wtf is that about? If he didn't actually issue a ticket I don't see how he can prosecute. I'd get the insurance details asap and sprint down to my local friendly garda to try and sort it out.

This story remoinds me of a friend... over taking a truck & car and got pulled by an unmarked.

The cop was just putting the ****s up him... althought he was doing maybe 80-90 in a 60zone. Lucky to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ambro25 wrote:
    If there was a dashmounted camera, only argument might lie in the calibration/absence thereof. But then I didn't think there were any over here? :confused:

If there was nothing but their speedo, argument might lie that
    1) it isn't calibrated to record speed offences
    2) because of 1), difference of calibration between theirs and yours might well account for their (wrongful) conclusion that you were speeding...

All well and good so long as you get a solicitor to argue that for you, and that you didn't overtake 'em doing 60 in a 30 zone :D

Well perhaps the poster might try and recall what speed they were going out. If he was in excess of the limit perhaps they should take their punishment and get on with it instead of bothering with technicalities of calibration blah blah.

Having said that, I though in the case of intercepts they issue a ticket with the fine to follow. Your insurance is valid so no fears there but you could get a fine for not displaying a valid disc. Show it a garda station and I doubt you'll hear much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Anybody else think "speeding fine" should be a compliment and not a punishment?

Anybody else think "speeding fine" should be a compliment and not a punishment?

Only if BrianD issued it :p;) (and if the photo's good enough for framing and the clocked speed is worth it - mine's 243 kph :D )

Well perhaps the poster might try and recall what speed they were going out. If he was in excess of the limit perhaps they should take their punishment and get on with it instead of bothering with technicalities of calibration blah blah.

That's possibly the most pompous thing I have ever heard in my whole life, surpassing even your normal standards of self-righteousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Dont worry about it, just drop in your ins details and forget it. The only way they can get you is with a dash-mounted camera attached to the speedo in which case they would have had to give you a ticket on the spot.
    kbannon wrote:
    The law in question there was changed, the change coming into force on January 20th and this law does not require a permanent record. Whether this is legal has not yet been contested though.
    They do have to show you the gun though...

magpie wrote:
    That's possibly the most pompous thing I have ever heard in my whole life, surpassing even your normal standards of self-righteousness.
    Why?
    For once Im inclined to agree with him.
    Nowadays it is much more difficult to get off a speeding fine due to recent legislation. The fact that an interceptor pulled him over (rather dubiously*) indicated the obviousness of his speed IMO. I have often passed garda cars (marked and unmarked) at speeds higher than the prescribed limit but (IMO) safely and never had any problems.
    If you want to speed (as I frequently do!) then be prepared to get caught and when it happens then be a man and accept the punishment.

*Im inclined to think it was a standard unmarked car and the occupants just wanted to make you poo yourself!

be a man and accept the punishment.

Yes Fr.

Advertisement