Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Make sure your PSU is the new ATX v2.2, as it has 2 seperate 12V rails - One for noise sensitive stuff - cpu, gpu etc, and one for Drives, fans etc.

The coolermaster you have chosen is one of these, the other one I don't think is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Ya that Heatsink fits Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Have a look at the Thermalright XP120, very light, looks good and is the best heatsink I've ever had by a long way. That said it's main rival is the one you have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The TT butterfly is a nice psu but it ain't no butterfly. It makes quite a lot of noise in my machine. That said I don't know what the coolermaster one is like. Check out some reviews.

Go with western digital or hitachi drives for top performance. Go with samsung or seagate for silence.

Go for some low timing pc3200 ram. You will get better performance out of it when not overclocked and it usually overclocks to high levels with looser timings.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Wouldnt recommend the Thermaltake butterfly, weak 12v rail as far as I remember.
    I've heard that ATI chipset motherboards cant overclock for a damn. Dont hold me to that...
    The Tsunami is an absolute hoover of case and looks hideous from anywhere but the front (Nail varnish imitation paint job :S). If you dont mind noise and you'll only be able to see it from the front I guess it's pretty nice.
    I got an NEC Dvd in my latest rig. I'm not sure if it's a setting ive done wrong, but it's woeful at ripping DVDs. Works fine for everything else though. A lot louder than the MSI drive I had in my last rig. When accessing a CD it's incredibly loud.
    Also, If you're not going to overclock, that memory is total overkill. Low latency PC3200 would be a better bet, as some people already mentioned.

Enjoy that fine new machine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I owned the Butterfly and this evening I'm building my new machine with the Coolermaster. So I'll report back later. ;) I never had any problems with the rails on the TT though.
    The NEC drive is a little loud when accessing discs, I put one into a friends machine last night. The Tsunami looks good, and TT cases are very easy to mess with, usually no screws etc.
    Get cheaper memory as everyone else has said, esp. if you're not going to OC it.

The TT butterfly looks good but has some dodgy reviews. Coolermaster one iv read loads on and all good. The Tsunami is a mixed bag good and bad,different people. Might get cheaper RAM alright,know about the mobo no OC but not pushed right now,will get new one in summer(availabilitys a bitch)

Want all main bits from Komplett (Vodka And Tonicwink.gif)

EDIT: Sh1t looks like Komplett pushed back the order of that PSU again - now is it worth the wait. Anyone else see it around besides xcase(fortune on tax&dev)

I owned the Butterfly and this evening I'm building my new machine with the Coolermaster. So I'll report back later. I never had any problems with the rails on the TT though.

The 12v rail can be weak when it comes to a power hungry system but it's usually only a probblem with overclocking. I had the same problem with mine. It's not a psu i'd recomend for overclocking. Mine was drooping to 11.5-11.6 when I went to 3.6ghz and sometimes caused the system to power off. I turned up the 12v pot and managed to get the droop down to 11.9 at 3.6ghz but that's still not good.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Looks Good Nukem, if ya wanted to go another 50quid on the psu you could get this one which ya probably have already seen, but it look very good value, might get one myself, 17dBA hard to beat that considering its 680w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Never, ever believe thermaltake's quoted sound figures. I think they might measure them through 2 feet of concrete! They say that the tsunami uses 21dB silent fans.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Id try go for an ocz powerstream psu, they are one of , if not the best. I know komplett dont do them , but there are other european online stores that sell them , and i think they are around 100 for a 480w model. As the lads have said ram is a bit overkill, and also as was said, i use the nec dvdrw drive and it is a bit noisey and dodgy ripping certain discs, creates bad images sometimes.

Just a point - i didnt think hitachi were good drives to get, i thought they were dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

www.pc-upgrade-memory.co.uk sell OCZ Powerstream PSU. I'd prefer to go with XP-90 rather than Zalman. Zalman are meant to be quite but doesnt keep it cool enough if you decide to overclock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

neokenzo meant http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk I'm sure!

There you go an 420W OCZ PowerStream Power Supplyfor €104 on the above site, worth every penny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

WizZard wrote:
    neokenzo meant http://www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk I'm sure!

Oopsie, thanks mate :)

Just a point - i didnt think hitachi were good drives to get, i thought they were dodgy.

Look up some hard-drive reviews and you'll see the hitachi drives winning quite a lot of them for performance in the 7200rpm bracket.

BloodBath

jessy wrote:
    Looks Good Nukem, if ya wanted to go another 50quid on the psu you could get this one which ya probably have already seen, but it look very good value, might get one myself, 17dBA hard to beat that considering its 680w.

Ya thats a sweet PSU but its not available. Getting everything (or the most from Komplet) as explained why *cough* VAT *cough* so its easier.

Might go for the a cheaper 1gb corsair 3200 as the mobo is not good for OC. Can always upgrade later. As a PSU was impressed with the Antec True Blue but its from Elara and a bit ching ching.What are they like reliable wise,Elara and the PSU?

Thanx for all the help.keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Got My Laptop from Elara And cant complain about them, I hear nothing but good stuff about Antec so can really go wrong there. Another Pus you might consider is the fortron 400w from komplett very good value.

Nukem wrote:
    Ya thats a sweet PSU but its not available. Getting everything (or the most from Komplet) as explained why *cough* VAT *cough* so its easier.

Might go for the a cheaper 1gb corsair 3200 as the mobo is not good for OC. Can always upgrade later. As a PSU was impressed with the Antec True Blue but its from Elara and a bit ching ching.What are they like reliable wise,Elara and the PSU?

Thanx for all the help.keep it coming.

Antec pretty good, never dealt with elara but their prices seem to be a bit ott

I ordered my case and psu from elara. Delivered in 2 days so can't complain but you expect good service for the price you pay. Delivery was only 9 euro though. You can't really go wrong with a good antec psu.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote:
    I ordered my case and psu from elara. Delivered in 2 days so can't complain but you expect good service for the price you pay. Delivery was only 9 euro though. You can't really go wrong with a good antec psu.

BloodBath

But you dont want to be ripped off when you can purchase things cheaper elsewhere, komplett usually deliver in 2 days and so do a lot of european online shops and komplett is usually 10euros delivery. Irish shops i find are a ripoff, plain and simple.

Decided to go with the Antec True Blue got good reviews and its a good brand. And sticking with that cheaper RAM - hopefully ordering in the morn so last min ideas would be good.

Cheers Nukem

But you dont want to be ripped off when you can purchase things cheaper elsewhere, komplett usually deliver in 2 days and so do a lot of european online shops and komplett is usually 10euros delivery. Irish shops i find are a ripoff, plain and simple.

Yeah but komplett or jes didn't have the psu or the case in stock so I had no choice. It only worked out to be about 20e more in the end. I know most of their stuff is overpriced compared to the likes of komplett or jes.

BloodBath

Advertisement