Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 22-02-2005 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I need some advice. I am moving to Galway from Dublin (at last) and will be working in Parkmore East Business Park(near racecourse). I will be house hunting soon...well room hunting actually and need some advice on where to look. What area is closest to the racecourse, what is traffic like out that way?

All advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Will you have your own car?
    If not, then an apartment around the city center would be good. Rent is not so expensive plus the bus service out is actually ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jester77 wrote:
    Will you have your own car?
    If not, then an apartment around the city center would be good. Rent is not so expensive plus the bus service out is actually ok!
    what the hell are you talking about?
    you'll get raped in the ass for rent if you live in the city centre :confused:

I was paying €315 for my own double room in an apt. overlooking shop street before I moved out a year ago and it was a good 3 bedroom apt. I wouldn't call that getting raped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jesus :eek:
    who was your landlord?

i'm paying €400pm for a not especially nice double room near dominick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I will bw driving. I am currently paying €430 in Dublin. I am looking for a double room. Don't want to be stuck in traffic for an hour though to get to work...life is too short that is why I am moving out of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Sounds steep... just sent a PM!

darabbit wrote:
    I will bw driving. I am currently paying €430 in Dublin. I am looking for a double room. Don't want to be stuck in traffic for an hour though to get to work...life is too short that is why I am moving out of Dublin.

I work the other side of town, so not sure what the traffic is like out that side in the morning, city center might not be such a good idea! Ballybritt, Renmore and Wellpark would be good places to look. There are new apartments just gone up in Wellpark so I presume there could be some rooms up for rent!

Thanks for that. I will check out thos appartments in Wellpark. Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

the gf works out there .. and depending on the time ... traffic isn't that bad ... going out there .. before 8:30 is grand ... all depends on your times ...

will be starting work at 9. It can't be any worse than Dublin I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

If distance to work work is the key factor you won't get much closer to Parkmore than Doughiska. Its less than a mile from the Ind Estate you're going working. You should be home (With Traffic Factored in) within 10/15 mins every evening and should take 5/10 mins in the morning to get to work.

There's loads of apartments/townhouses/houses gone out there over the last 5 years and there's always rooms available. Off the top of my head you should get a room for 55-65 a week.

If you need any more help give us a shout .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Have a look at Mervue. It's only a five minute drive from Parkmore. I've just bought a house there but no I don't have a room to rent!

I'm looking for a job in Galway at the moment. But my best chance so far is in Gort!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deirdre249

darabbit wrote:
    I need some advice. I am moving to Galway from Dublin (at last) and will be working in Parkmore East Business Park(near racecourse). I will be house hunting soon...well room hunting actually and need some advice on where to look. What area is closest to the racecourse, what is traffic like out that way?

All advice much appreciated.
    Hey!!

Im 23 and moving up to Galway, found a place over the weekend and took it!! Have a spare double room, its in renmore. I will be working in parkmore aswell and i already checked its about 5 min drive from my place and avoids the busy roads. So even if u dont have a car myself and the other roomate do and are both working there aswell. The apartment is very snazzy and the price per month422euro. Its a penthouse apartment with a large balcony that u will have access to from you room!! starting work the 17th so moving in the 8th.. Anyway give me a post back if ur interested!

Deirdre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

pix

(sorry drake, I got in first this time :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

As long as you get to Parkmore before 8.30 am, and leave either before 4.30 pm or after 7 pm, you're grand (going into town, that is.)

Remember, school starts again soon - and traffic will be ****e, guaranteed. Especially on rainy days (which is all the time...).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

pix

(sorry drake, I got in first this time :))
    BLAST! Foiled by an hour :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 faonway

I totally agree with you Darabbit, life is too short to waste time in the traffic!
    It is possible I am going to move to Galway soon, it depends on my job interview !!!!!
    In case I will have to find an accomodation, can someone give me an help?
    Thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Deirdre249 wrote:
    Hey!!

Im 23 and moving up to Galway, found a place over the weekend and took it!! Have a spare double room, its in renmore. I will be working in parkmore aswell and i already checked its about 5 min drive from my place and avoids the busy roads. So even if u dont have a car myself and the other roomate do and are both working there aswell. The apartment is very snazzy and the price per month422euro. Its a penthouse apartment with a large balcony that u will have access to from you room!! starting work the 17th so moving in the 8th.. Anyway give me a post back if ur interested!

Deirdre :)

Didn't spot this thread at the time, but talk about bumping an old thread! I'd say he found a place to live by now, seeing as its 2.5 years later... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

faonway wrote:
    I totally agree with you Darabbit, life is too short to waste time in the traffic!
    It is possible I am going to move to Galway soon, it depends on my job interview !!!!!
    In case I will have to find an accomodation, can someone give me an help?
    Thanks!!!!

I work in Parkmore and live in the city centre. 3 bed apartment, secure parking for the car, €325 a month. The drive to and from work rarely takes more than 20mins, usually about 12, once you know the ratruns and the times of day to avoid :D

I've been renting from the Fahys, a large property agency, in a couple of different flats for about 7 years now. Their office is "City Property Services" on Bohermore, just drop in and ask them if they have anything going. Course, it would be a lot easier if you had 2 or 3 people to fill a whole place, but you never know, sometimes one tenant leaves a gaff and they just need one fresh body.

I'm always amazed at these stories of people paying stupid sums on rent. There's plenty of decent flats within 10 mins walk of Eyre Sq going for under €350 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I work in Ballybrit and my housemate works in Parkmore, we're living in Dun na Coiribe, it takes me less than 10 minutes to get to work in the morning, the other lad just over 10 minutes...there always seems to be little to no traffic before 8:30...we've got parking and its a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre...the rent is a bit steep at 450 for a single...but I'm happy with the lack of traffic I have to cope with, I leave work at 4:30 aswell and theres sweet feck all traffic coming home :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement