Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow watch II:Snow Harder

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Scene at the train station this morning:
    DSC00068.JPG

Enough for the first train to Maynooth not to run this morning, and the return train not to go. :rolleyes: Points failure in Connolly and Pearse too!

Light dusting on the ground, light flakes falling steadily in Dubin 2 right now, this new stuff doesnt appear to be sticking, but if enough of it falls....

Cloudy skies here now but with some sun and blue.
    Extensive snow cover but with a temp of 2c now a rapid thaw has set in

Still the snow is lovely and crunchy under my feet :)

theres a few showers in the Irish sea that are likely to head in here if they maintain present course and speed.
    Boy the whole of Eastern UK looks peppered on the radar!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just rang home and alot of the snow which fell during the night is melting away very fast, unless it snows again very soon it will prolly all be gone within the hour.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Has anyone any thoughts on the system moving towards the UK for tomorrow, seems it will produce major snow. Will this move over to Ireland?

http://www.chmi.cz/meteo/sat/SDUS/index.php?&lang=en&auto_nahraj_pocet=15&rep_index=3&add_index=4&obnov_index=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

some pics of the snow..... http://cheeurs.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Gonzo wrote:
    just rang home and alot of the snow which fell during the night is melting away very fast, unless it snows again very soon it will prolly all be gone within the hour.
    Don't know about that. I'm in Navan and it's fairly stuck. About 2/3 inches and it ain't going anywhere just yet! :) Now, back to building my snowman army!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the thaw is on but not that quick and theres a light shower of snow falling at the moment, interesting looking clouds to the east as well, could be a nice shower on the way. Heres a pic taken about 7 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

closing in again in Leopardstown, reckon it'll be snowing again in a few mins, some little flakes fluttering down now, visibility getting bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yep it's snowing again in Leop, big white flakes.... yay! snowball fight for lunch!
    can't even see the racecourse!

edit:
    very very heavy, quite windy, blowing in at quite an angle.
    no-one playing golf today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Heh heh, I'm enjoying the Snow threads, actually enjoyed sitting in the jams leaving Bray this morning too. Love the Snow, keep it coming.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

Just had a 5 minute snow shower in Leixlip. The ground in wet and any lying snow is melting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Pelting down here again, really heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Hail falling in Dublin 5. I slept in so I missed all the snow. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Have been a few moderate hail showers here in D13 (just a mile or two from Weathercheck!) and they seem to be all going to the north oh here and a few to the south and just the edges are passing over here - Just like Weathercheck has been saying. I can see lying snow near the top of Howth so the snow line does appear to be at just a few hundred feet today :) As I llok out the window, there's another big anvil topped CB getting ready to roll in off the sea - PLenty of thick hail streaks coming from the bottom of it but again it looks like it'll pass just to the north - I'll keep you informed.

Yep this is looking like a straight on hit - Should be some serious hail banging on the window in a minute - sorry, no snow here!

Just had a heavyish snow shower here in Finglas, more clouds on the way.

The snow shield around various areas in Nth County Dublin was certainly effective, driving in to work this morning the nearer I got to finglas, the more snow I saw.

Na that was absolute crap, AGAIN! Just moderate sleet and ice pellets. I may officially give up unless someone can gaurantee decent snow here on the east coast by tomorrow morning - I'm due back to work in the morning.

Constant feed of lightish snow showers in off the Irish sea now.
    There is a thaw but at 2c the snow cover is still extensive here and between 2 and 3 inches deep.

Given that the sun hasnt appeared at all,I'm expecting the cover to stay despite the thaw and thats going to keep the temps locally quite low here with ice probably after dusk.
    It's flat calm here too but winds are forecast to pick up later as is the shower activity.

The radar is showing a lot of showers to my east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Astro1996

About 1" here in Tallaght with showers on and off for the last few hours. God be good to the days when snow showers would bring 2-3ft of snow with 82 adding a couple of zeros to that :D

• Advertisement

Earthman, what do you think of the system approaching the UK? - it seems to be moving fast and on the satellite it looks as if it could be on course for us too.

http://www.chmi.cz/meteo/sat/SDUS/index.php?&lang=en&auto_nahraj_pocet=15&rep_index=3&add_index=4&obnov_index=6

Well Met Éireann are keeping quiet about it...
    Reason being they probably dont want to get caught out calling what it will do.

It's got some cold pools of air caught up in it and I think theres a risk it will sit in the Irish sea and affect us.
    It is set to affect west wales and I saw a UKMO fax chart yesterday that put it in a line touching the East coast right the way across to England.

Now if you want snow and it did that, it would be constant as the front would be slow moving getting caught flat in the Easterly.

Hard to put a probability on it-its one to watch like a hawk.

Temp here has dropped back to 1c now, it peaked at 3c for a short while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

just started snowing fairly heavily at the moment in clane, sky starting to break a little to the east but behind it more snow clouds hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just thought it was worth emntioning that while everyone is getting excited by the snow please spare a thought for the two people who lost their lives as a result of the weather conditions.

just thought it was worth emntioning that while everyone is getting excited by the snow please spare a thought for the two people who lost their lives as a result of the weather conditions.

Thats very true. Easy to forget amongst the excitement the harsh reality for some in this weather.

• Advertisement

Closing this now-all aboard the new train :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement