Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on choosing a good & reasonably priced solicitor?

• 22-02-2005 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m looking at purchasing a property soon (in Leixlip). Any tips on choosing a good & reasonably priced solicitor?

Regards,
    Jonathan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I'm also purchasing a new house in north county dublin. I don't have a solicitor yet.

We just put the deposit on today. The sales agents reccomended a solicitor off their panel and said it would cost approx €1900 in solicitors fees.

Does this sound reasonable for a new property, value €240K?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

A new home is the most straightforward of transactions - you're looking at an outlay of about €700 & the rest is professional fees & VAT. Some solicitors try to charge 1% of the price of the house - that's just thievery IMHO

Try to bargain them to a rate of outlay plus a fixed fee - €500 incl VAT would be my suggestion. The Credit Union have a deal for members on legals, as do Prima Finance if you need a mortgage.

Shop around, don't use the auctioneers solicitor unless they're giving you a sensational deal on the price and ask friends/family for recommendations. Some of the best "big firms" are ****e at conveyancing and hungry local solicitors can be your best bet.

I deal with them every day & have a list of goodies & baddies!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

babaduck wrote:

Try to bargain them to a rate of outlay plus a fixed fee - €500 incl VAT would be my suggestion. The Credit Union have a deal for members on legals, as do Prima Finance if you need a mortgage.

Credit Union deal

Also, if you get your mortgage through PrimaFinance they'll give you another €500 off the cost of the legal fees, so you pay €499+vat+outlay.

I used both, and on a €310,000 house (€285,000 mortgage) I paid €1778. Most of the outlay was accounted for by stamp duty on the mortgage (1% of mortgage if over €254,000, so I paid €285)and Land Registry fees of €725.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shop around and ask them what the costs would be under the various headings. If a local solicitor is doing a lot of the transactions on one estate, they might give you a good deal.

Take a look here to see what someone paid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=228016

Advertisement