Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP - Folder problem

• 22-02-2005 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help me, with what I hope is a simple question. For no apparant reason this afternoon, my folder icons have gone (incl. most software icons). In addition, when I double click on a folder, what would previously open the folder, I now get the 'search' facility. I have tried to manual change the icon settings, and the folder default settings, but it just won't take.

Any ideas ... all help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did you check your hd and make sure the files/programs you are looking for are still there?
    Could some one have moved/deleted files on your computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

all files, folders and software applications are still on the computer. Just the actual icons are gone - in their place you have the default icon (i.e. those icons where windows does not recognise the software). In addition, when I double click on a folder, instead of simply opening the folder, it opens the search engine. Have you any ideas what is going on - I just can't figure out whats going on here ... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Just a thought here could you not try a 'system restore' point to roll back your system to just before this ocurred ? As i know xp has this on by default and automatically creates restore points for you every so often. Found this out by chance while looking at a friend's pc who was having system problems as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try logging on as a different user in case a profile problem

older versions of powertoys for windows had a fix for this

check folder options / file types - for settings there on the off chance

Advertisement