Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do... Help!

Options
  • 23-02-2005 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine got a loan and there was a split payment - 1 to clear credit card and the rest to go into her bank account. The bulk of the money was to go into her bank account but what has happened is the bulk of the moey has gone into the credit card plus the same amount has gone into her bank account as well!!

I'll give an example:
    This was suppose to happen: 2,000 to credit card - 8,000 to bank account
    What actually happened: 8,000 credit card - 8,000 to bank account

Is she entitled to keep this?? I dont think anybody has spotted this yet.....
    Doe she need to wait a certain amount of time before she is legally allowed to keep it?

Any help would be great....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

keith123 wrote:
    A friend of mine got a loan and there was a split payment - 1 to clear credit card and the rest to go into her bank account. The bulk of the money was to go into her bank account but what has happened is the bulk of the moey has gone into the credit card plus the same amount has gone into her bank account as well!!

I'll give an example:
    This was suppose to happen: 2,000 to credit card - 8,000 to bank account
    What actually happened: 8,000 credit card - 8,000 to bank account

Doe she need to wait a certain amount of time before she is legally allowed to keep it?

No she isn't. It would only get spotted at routine audits, maybe once a month or maybe weekly depending on the branch. Needless to say, the bank *will* spot 6 grand missing and look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

They'd notice if you owed them 1 cent. Eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

keith123 wrote:

No she is not.
    The bank made a mistake and are entitled to their money back.

I'll bet if she was left short she'd be the first to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    No she is not.

spoken like a true banker

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    No she is not.

It happened me once with £600 of old money - took them 2 months to find out and then they whipped it out of my current account leaving it overdrawn - for which I was charged. I hate banks ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

You should let them know and don't touch the money.

If you go ahead and spend it then they will whip out 6k leaving a massive unauthorised overdraft - which means you'll have an effective interest rate of nearly double what there is on a credit card - on this amount about 75 per month or more.

Just call the bank and explain thats happened. You're not entitled to benefit from their mistakes, just as they are not entitled to benefit from yours.

Advertisement