Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stepping down as Soccer Mod

• 23-02-2005 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Ok just a quick note. Due to the increased workload from Politics and being a Category Mod for the Society section (and real-life) I am stepping down as moderator on this forum effective from today.

Talla and Thanx as well as the Vagga have been great lads to co-mod with and I am sure you will all give them the support they need in future.

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to hear that Gandalf you'll be missed. We've had our moments :) but you have always been approachable and fair. Big loss to the forum IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would like to put my name forward for consideration..

Ah yeah, best of luck Gandalf.. Knew I was forgetting somethings there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would like to put my name forward for consideration..
    Rule 1 on getting mods:
    If you request it, you do not get it :)

---

Cheers for all the work gandalf, much appriciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

As i said last night best of luck Gandalf, take a well deserved break from crap around here. JTG, myself and Thanx 4 the fish will be discussing possible mods over the next couple of days, cheers will keep you in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Aye, best of look Gandalf. Excellent job controlling us lot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Well done to Gandalf for the great work he has done, also I think EireBhoy should become the Mod. Any time I am ever on hes there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Willem D wrote:
    also I think EireBhoy should become the Mod.
    Appreciate the heads up but (1) I don't think I deserve it and (2) I don't think I'd want it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Willem D wrote:
    Well done to Gandalf for the great work he has done, also I think EireBhoy should become the Mod. Any time I am ever on hes there.

there's prob more to being a mod than that ;) but eirebhoy wouldn't be the worst choice all the same.

Might need an expeirenced head though - cos soccer has consistently been the hardest brief for a mod as long as I've been on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sorry to see you go Gandalf - I know last night's result was hard to take, but resigning? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My god, don't give it to jesus...

anyway... he forgot to say 'amp test'... that rules him out in my book :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best of luck Gandalf, tough job, not made any easier by some of us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Adios Amigo!
    One of the better mods on Boards imo.
    Although I always did wonder how you managed to mod two of the busiest forums in Soccer and Politics.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Slan leat. Go raibh maith agat. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Really sorry to hear this, but thanks for everything you've done Gandalf. Your sub will have his/her (boards.ie is an equal opportunites employer... :D ) work cut out.

My vote (not that I get one) is either eirebhoy or The Muppet.

Does mean Gandalf will have to apply to Post on the Soccer forums now?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Really sorry to hear this, but thanks for everything you've done Gandalf. Your sub will have his/her (boards.ie is an equal opportunites employer... :D ) work cut out.

My vote (not that I get one) is either eirebhoy or The Muppet.

Is there a need for a replacement mod?

I'm not is sure but if there was I can only say good things about eirebhoy.
    (or course, I haven't tried to say bad things yet).

I'm still laughing about the muppet bit though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

There will possibly be 2 new mods, as the Vaggabond officially resigned from Soccer last week as he hasnt been around the soccer forum for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

'Tis the end of an earhole, *sniff* :(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

In that case, if anyone asks (I understand tehy are not asking now but I may not be around to read when they do and I hate missing out).
    I'd think p.pete and eirebhoy are the two best candidates on soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

sorry to see you go gandalf. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Can't believe you'd give up this for *real life*! ;)

Good luck and thanks for all your hard work Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'll miss ya G-man. You were the only one who cared enough to ban me *tear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I will take the mod job....seeing as I don't support any of those useless so called "BIG" teams....Shef Wed all the way!! :D

Sorry to see you go mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Cheers Gandalf. You'll be missed. Can't imagine how much work it took, and didn't realise you also do the Politics forum, along with no doubt having to do stuff in "real life". All I can say is, in my best immitation West Cork accent "You're a horse of a man....you could sh!t walking!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'm sure you'll still find time to post here occasionally, despite your enormous .. ehm .. workload
    :D

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Bye bye Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

cheers for all the work gandalf. Is mucho appreciated. Lets hope your replacement can step up into your big shoes. Will be a hard man to replace and follow.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

syke wrote:
    Is there a need for a replacement mod?
    ;)

Definately, especially with the increase in idiocy around here lately (from newer users it seems, obviously none of us established folk :D ). hopefully none of the trolls are ready this thread cos they might see this as a weak time and pounce when the mods are overstreched.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Shef Wed all the way

I think that rules you out straight away, you obviously dont know enough about football to be effective :D

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    I think that rules you out straight away, you obviously dont know enough about football to be effective :D

Or he will suffer from the football version of penis envy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do not give it to Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Stekelly wrote:
    hopefully none of the trolls are ready this thread cos they might see this as a weak time and pounce when the mods are overstreched.
    Damn them and their gorilla tactics ;)
    Seems strange to have a soccer forum without Gandalf's moderatorship - definitely appreciate the work you've done on the forum :)

Stekelly wrote:

I am the only one that does know about footie!! not one of these glory hunter fans that only support Utd/Arsenal/Pool because they win things.....anyway Shef Wed are on the way back up!! PL in 3 seasons with PS in charge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Did a fine job, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

<no a side note>

I would like to put forward my support for mike65 as the new mod.

or if not then Amz
    </no a side note>

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    only support Pool because they win things

Cheers for the optimism :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Big Nelly wrote:
    I am the only one that does know about footie!! not one of these glory hunter fans that only support Utd/Arsenal/Pool because they win things.....anyway Shef Wed are on the way back up!! PL in 3 seasons with PS in charge!!
    where PS = PlayStation

Imposter wrote:
    where PS = PlayStation

Paul Sturrock! I guess that put you out of the running! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Bad news Gandalf. You were a great Mod. did a great job !

Big Nelly wrote:

See.. Penis Envy..

And Cheesedude, I am slightly offended...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sorry to see ya go Gandalf , many considered you a very strict moderater , but your decisions always seemed to be justified , thanks for your fairness and assesment of what should be done in situations .

As for any new mod that would be appointed , I would also think Eirebhoy is the perfect candidate , although im struggling to think of a second one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Probably as well Paul what with Arsenal's season collapsing and all... good luck :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"I would like to put forward my support for mike65 as the new mod. "

I would 2nd that, cannot think of once that he has flamed or incited other fans, a level head in a sometimes jungle of mayhem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I second Eireboy, I think far and away he has shown restraint and level headedness.

Johnny and Yop thanks for the vote but I'd sooner buy a Man Utd away strip than Mod this bear-pit! I've discovered with Motors that a busy forum is a suprising amount of work, so modding a frantic forum like soccer would be quite beyond me.

...me bows out.

But I think eireboy would be very good (sorry eireboy!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I'd add my voice to Mike65 for soccer mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

sure dont the mods always decide who to give these jobs to themselves, and boards is probably the most incestuous place around, so i reckon we will have new mods that are not even involved with soccer right now, just buddies of other mods or the devs.

in a perfect democratic system i would vote for Eirebhoy and seansouth. Eirebhoy because the chap pulls stats out of his arse and is more interested in the online aspect of soccer than anyone ive ever known or met. he has plenty of experience of soccer boards from here and many other places and he never gives anyone grief either.

seansouth because hes about the most dedicated EL fan around here, and it would be nice to see boards recognising the Irishness of the board and encouraging more EL posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Draupnir wrote:

seansouth because hes about the most dedicated EL fan around here, and it would be nice to see boards recognising the Irishness of the board and encouraging more EL posts.

not a valid reason to let someone be a mod infairness.

Draupnir wrote:
    Eirebhoy because the chap pulls stats out of his arse

You heard it here first! Ouch...:p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah posting as a civilian, mmmm nice :D

Thanks for the kind words all. The Soccer mods will be deciding who the mods are and they are looking at the names here. I will also be sending who I think would be good. Draupnir there is no way a mod who has nothing to do with this forum would go near here :D

The admins will have the final say but hey its their party we are just guests !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement