Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Airgun Championships (Irish Junior Shooter takes Silver Medal)

Options
  • 23-02-2005 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Press Release:
    British Airgun Championships
    Bisley
    25th to 27th Feb 05

Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club are sending a very strong air rifle team to compete at the British Open in Bisley at the end of this month.

The 10 person team, which consists of some of best target shooters in the country at present, will compete in the first of two matches on Saturday afternoon and again on Sunday morning. The competition consists of each competitor shooting a sixty shot match in one hour forty five. All matches are shot in the standing position, at paper targets at a distance of 10m.

The team consists of two senior female shooters, Nicola Murphy and Emma Lyons, one junior female (u21), Susan Cunningham, four junior male (u21) shooters, Liam Spillane, Damien Fagan, Ryan and Marc Lynn, and three senior male shooters, Richard Stapleton, Mark Dennehy and Daniel Fleming.

The team is accompanied by ISSF coach Matt Fox.

This is one of the strongest and most experienced teams from Ireland to take part in this competition in recent years. The team has Irish Junior Male Champions and Irish National Champions and several members have International experience also having shot in various competitions including Intershoot, the European Championships and World Cup Matches.

This match, important in its own right, also has the added significance of being a recognised match for Junior Carding.

The team, although representing the Wilkinstown Club, has an all Ireland feel to it. Nicola Murphy is from Kilkenny, Mark Dennehy from Tralee, Daniel Fleming from Waterford, (late of Cork), Emma Lyons is from Wicklow.

On the junior front this is the first major match for Susan, Marc Lynn and Damien and we wish them well. It is also Emma’s first overseas match and we wish her well also.

Good luck is extended to all our team.

Geoff Cooney
    Secretary

I'll be taking a fair few photos while over there, hopefully, and I'll post them up here once we get back. Here's hoping that we take home a medal or two!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Various shots from the range during the event:

DSCF1852.JPG

DSCF1855.JPG

DSCF1858.JPG

DSCF1897.JPG

DSCF1898.JPG

DSCF1902.JPG

DSCF1906a.JPG

Snapshots of the WTSC team getting ready for Equipment Control:

DSCF1850.JPG

DSCF1849.JPG

DSCF1851.JPG

Liam Spillane getting ready to shoot on Saturday:

DSCF1860.JPG

DSCF1861.JPG

He put in a 577 in that competition overall. I don't have more photos alas, as I was spotting for him at the time (WTSC shooters were watching each other's shooting and taking notes on shot timing, stance problems, that kind of thing).

Liam put in a 571 on the Sunday and took first place in the Mens Junior Air Rifle Championships going into the finals with a one-point lead over Sutherland and Latham;

DSCF1941.JPG

DSCF1940.JPG

DSCF1944.JPG

The pressure of shooting under the gaze of the rest of the team must was enormous, as you can imagine.

DSCF1945.JPG

DSCF1943.JPG

Unfortunately, Liam slipped once during the finals, and Latham stole ahead by 2.6 points to take the gold medal. This is the second silver in this event for Liam in two years.

DSCF1948.JPG

DSCF1950.JPG

Emma Lyons shooting on Saturday:

DSCF1862a.JPG

And Marc Lynn, also on Saturday:

DSCF1864a.JPG

And Damien Fagan:

DSCF1867a.JPG

And all three together:

DSCF1868.JPG

And the team conferring with their coaches after the match:

DSCF1869.JPG

Susan Cunningham shooting on Sunday:

DSCF1878a.JPG

DSCF1879a.JPG

DSCF1894a.JPG

• Advertisement

Nicola Murphy shooting on Sunday:

DSCF1890a.JPG

The three Irish girls shooting on Sunday:

DSCF1899.JPG

A nice shot of both disabled and junior shooters shooting side-by-side in air pistol, which is a lovely thing to say about the egalatarian aspect of the sport:

DSCF1906a.JPG

WTSC coaches and spotters monitoring the shooters:

DSCF1913.JPG

DSCF1915.JPG

DSCF1932.JPG

DSCF1933.JPG

The London and Middlesex Rifle Association, just after the Irish Invasion :D

DSCF1951.JPG

And then, just like that, they were gone...

DSCF1953.JPG

So, a good time had by all, much learnt, Liam Spillane won the Silver medal in the Junior Men's Air Rifle, Susan Cunningham and Marc Lynn won their class in their competitions, Damien Fagan finished fourth in his class, and both Marc Lynn and Damien Fagan recorded new personal best competition scores.

Some coverage in the Meath Chronicle here.

• Advertisement

That link doesnt work sparks - you need to be registered

Here you go O_P
    Wilkinstown club fare well
    333675_thumb.jpg

Target Shooting

LIAM Spillane (Wilkinstown Target Shooting Club) won a silver medal at the British Championships junior men’s open competition in Bisley on Sunday when he was narrowly beaten by Chris Latham from the UK.

Spillane qualified for the final in first place, one point ahead of Latham, and at the eighth shot of the 10-shot final Latham moved narrowly ahead. Despite some excellent shooting, the Meath man was unable to regain the lead.

This was a superb performance from Spillane who shot extremely well under pressure in the final. He also finished second in this event last year.

Mark Lynn and Susan

Cunningham both won their respective class events. Damien Fagan and Lynn recorded new personal best competition scores and Fagan finished fourth in his class.

The Wilkinstown club sent a 19-strong team to this event, consisting of 10 shooters, accompanied by coaching and back-up support.

This is the first time the club was able to send a fully-supported team to a major overseas match and all gained greatly from the experience.

Three medals and two personal best scores made it a competition to remember for the club.

Also, the results are up on the NSRA website here:
    http://www.nsra.co.uk/news/uploads/AIRGUN%202005%20W.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 foresight

I want to congratulate the Wilkinstown Club for their great showing at that match. and good luck to the lads won the medals. : :D

Thought this might be of interest to people, so here are my shooting diary pages and the Suis Ascor printout from both day's shooting (that printout is what you get when you use an electronic target instead of shooting on paper targets).

Saturday:
    Match Plan:
    MarkDennehy1_3a.jpg

Pre-Competition Notes:
    MarkDennehy1_4a.jpg

Suis Ascor printout:
    MarkDennehy1_1.jpg
    MarkDennehy1_2.jpg

Post-Competition Notes:
    MarkDennehy1_5a.jpg

Spotter's Notes:
    MarkDennehy1_6a.jpg

Sunday:
    Match Plan:
    MarkDennehy2_3a.jpg

Pre-Competition Notes:
    MarkDennehy2_4a.jpg

Suis Ascor printout:
    MarkDennehy2_1.jpg
    MarkDennehy2_2.jpg

Post-Competition Notes:
    MarkDennehy2_5a.jpg

Spotter's Notes:
    MarkDennehy2_6a.jpg

(And in case anyone's wondering, no I didn't do well at all :( Not happy with that performance in any shape or form, more range time and more training needed before the next trip I think!)

Nice timely reminder, what with the 27-strong team now in training for the 2006 Airgun Championships in Feburary...

The NSRA have just released a colour brochure entitled "The NSRA and You" explaining what the NGB actually does for its members (*looks pointedly at some Irish NGBs*). We were looking at it and then spotted page three...

NSRAandYou.jpg

Look more closely at the photo...

NSRAandYou_detail.jpg

In the coloured space, left to right, that's Susan Cunningham, Marc Lynn, Emma Lyons, Damien Fagan and Liam Spillane from the WTSC team :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

I need to ask, I dont know anything about AirRifles or Airpistol shooting, But whats up with the gitup they are wearing.

Is there a placement of colors i mean if you wear Blue dose that mean someone wearing Red is not as good as you or is it all the same?

Nema wrote:
    I need to ask, I dont know anything about AirRifles or Airpistol shooting, But whats up with the gitup they are wearing.
    It's for support. You've seen weightlifters' belts? Same idea. Those air rifles weigh up to 5.5kg and you're holding them in what the doctors refer to as an asymmetric offset loading. Not good for the spine in the long term without some support to distribute the load around the body. It's even worse for .22 standing, where the rifles go up to 7kg and the recoil is greater. And as to the 300m standing shooting with the same rifles in 6mmBR...
    Is there a placement of colors i mean if you wear Blue dose that mean someone wearing Red is not as good as you or is it all the same?
    Nope, the colours are completely your own choices. In the 70s, all the colours were very dour and drab; today you can have any colour you want so firing lines are like an accident in a paint shop. Which is actually far more aesthetic than it sounds!

Advertisement