Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

has anyone got a longhorn?

• 23-02-2005 5:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I recently acquired microsoft windows longhorn beta and was wondering did anyone try it out yet? Im a little hesitant to install incase some of my drivers dont work, etc. Has anyone got any feedback on this?

<obligatory disclaimer = I subscribe to the MSDN and downloaded it legally off M/S>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i have it too but have not gotten round to installing it..

But it is a BETA so i wouldn't recomend installing it on your primary PC. Put it on a pc you dont care about first to test it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Well ,the Beta version I had was utter dung, you had to disable pretty much all services to get it to a usable state. It may have come on since then, but as already said - I wouldn't go switching over to it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

backup yore hd and then try it out. what harm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I dual booted with XP and Longhorn Beta 4097 [i think it was].

Some promising things with it, but it was still filled with holes and memory leeks. If you leave it running for a good few hours Explorer will start gobbling up your ram.

If your looking at running it make sure you have at least 1GB Ram, and a decent graphics card aswell. And be prepared for a long wait on the startup time. I think it took me a good while for bootup.

I dont have it installed anymore. One thing I can thankfully say is that they FINALLY included Windows support for a second taskbar when running multiple monitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

*sniggers at topic*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

azezil wrote:
    *sniggers at topic*

Quiet you. We were all thinking it, took you to say it... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Quiet you. We were all thinking it, took you to say it... ;)
    LOL :)
    I wasn't thinking it... I am now though... thx azezil.
    Think I mentally skipped the "a".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I cant install it for a week more probably, im out of the country and only have my Laptop. one of my machines will be arriving soon, and ill give it a go then. 7074 is supposed to be fairly ok. i think it only came out recently. I know that there has been an alpha version out for quite some time, and it is supposed to be dire.

Oh yeah, the topic. Hmm well it was a "typo". Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dream Driven

Hi :eek:

Build 4074 of Longhorn is an Alpha build, it was given out at a programmers show last March, I have dual booted it on a system, if you do put it on a system make sure you format the partition to NTFS, as a good few features wont work on a FAT32 partition. It takes a long time on the finding new hardware screen when your installing it so give it about 20min or more, it is a bit sluggish at times, you will have 60 days once you install it, then you will have to format your hard drive again and reinstall it again if you want to use it again, its worth a look. Micro€€€€ will have a Beta version out in the summer, should be more stable and you would get updates for it too, the Alpha there is no windows update available for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I had it myself and I had to say that it was interesting. It's like an improved version of XP really on the surface but it was undeniably slow. As far as I know it's not just ram that you'll probably need but a 64-bit processor as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement