Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a secondhand car privately, how to finish the deal?

Options
  • 23-02-2005 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Saw you go out and see a car, like it, checks out okay with a mechanic and you agree a price.

How now do people pay, i see people are reluctant to take bank drafts now? equally no one wants to carry 6 or 7k in cash so how is it done? i was thinking if both people has say aib 24 hr banking u could do a transfer on the phone?

Also what documentation is there to pass ownership from the seller to me?

Also would you use the aa to check a car or are there better alternatives? i dont know any mechanics!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If you don't know any mechanics or that, and you're about to spend 6 or 7 grand, get the AA check. If someone refuses to allow you to do the AA check on their car, then don't bother even looking at it.

I've bought and sold 8 cars and bikes at this stage, and every single time it has been done with cash, both from me when buying something, and from others when I'm selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've only ever paid cash for a private car (but as never spent more than a couple of grand its not very very intimidating to carry round).

The seller should fill out the transfer of ownership form (RF101) with the buyer and the SELLER should be the one to send that off, but I've known the buyer to do so.

Then you get the new RF101 back in a week or two....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Cyrus wrote:
    Saw you go out and see a car, like it, checks out okay with a mechanic and you agree a price.

How now do people pay, i see people are reluctant to take bank drafts now? equally no one wants to carry 6 or 7k in cash so how is it done? i was thinking if both people has say aib 24 hr banking u could do a transfer on the phone?

Also what documentation is there to pass ownership from the seller to me?

Also would you use the aa to check a car or are there better alternatives? i dont know any mechanics!

How about a regular cheque mate? I did that buying used for €20,000. No probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no cheque book, never needed one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Cyrus wrote:
    no cheque book, never needed one!

Now you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

1 - Get bank draft
    2 - Meet seller at bank and get them to clear it
    3 - Go collect car and drive away
    4 - Give them the finger as they wave you goodbye

Steps 1-3 are fairly straight forward, step 4 is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Except that even the Banks cant tell a forgery that quick AND even if it shows up in your account they can still recall it if it is fake. That can happen a few days later, Banks wont loose out but you will !

No forget Bank Drafts, unless of course your seller hasn't a problem with it. If YOU were the seller then be very wary of drafts !

Cash is your only man, besides whats the problem taking 10 or 20g's in your pockets ??

Does it make you nervous ?? Well does it ?? Hehh ..... HEHHH ??
    One other thing I would insist onis to see the guys drivers licence, he should have it on him and you can show him yours. Its better to prove to yourself he is who he says he is and at least you can always positively identify him. If he declines this simple request then walk away !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

this is the sanest piece of advice yet. ask for 2 or 3 domestic bills in his name and a drivers license and check it carefully.
    get him to fax u a copy of the draft the day b4 and ring the issuing bank to verify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seller would be mad to accept a cheque
    MercMad wrote:
    Does it make you nervous ?? Well does it ?? Hehh ..... HEHHH ??

Yes I'd be scared :)

Nahh I 've been to buy cars on numerous occassions with a lot of cash....no big deal. Nobody knows its there only you ! Its only your subconcious making you feel like you've an arrow pointing to the cash ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yeah, sure. I'll call you in 5-10 working days when it has cleared.

Anyone that would accept a cheque and hand over the keys to a €20,000 car is insanely thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you are paying cash just get large notes. But most banks tell you to order them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

What you want to do is bring the 7g's in fiver notes, lets see him count that :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

FX Meister wrote:
    If you are paying cash just get large notes. But most banks tell you to order them.
    As most shops won't accept notes larger than €50, neither would I!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

just a quickonefor you. why not go to a dealer a buy a car from them i just bought a beaut 01 corolla yesterday for 8300. use your 7k bank draft as a down payment and pay the rest over a year that way you can demand a lot more like a warrenty and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

kbannon wrote:
    As most shops won't accept notes larger than €50, neither would I!
    legal tender???????

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

try going into a shop with a €100 note sometime bp!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If the buyer is paying by check, take the check and tell the buyer you will drive the car over to him the following day once you have cleared the cheque with your bank.

Assuming you meet at your house and not in a carpark, and that you look and are a decent person the buyer should have no problem.

Thats what I did and both parties were more than happy.

There is an element of trust involved when buying any car, and in general it is easy to spot genuine decent folk from chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

If the buyer is paying by check, take the check and tell the buyer you will drive the car over to him the following day once you have cleared the cheque with your bank..

yea I've a guy coming from Co.Tipperary to see my car tommorow, not at my house at 3pm (Friday). If the haggling takes a long time, ie until the banks close and he hands me a cheque, what do i do then

ando wrote:
    yea I've a guy coming from Co.Tipperary to see my car tommorow, not at my house at 3pm (Friday). If the haggling takes a long time, ie until the banks close and he hands me a cheque, what do i do then
    Its a bit of a tough one seeing as he lives so far away you cant just give him the "Ill drop it around tomorrow". So to be honest Im not sure, but a guy wouldnt be coming from Tipperary if he wasnt interested, Im sure he can hang on if he likes what he sees.

• Advertisement

but he could just be SAYING he's coming from Tipp !!

Personally I wouldn't accept a Bank Draft from anyone. Banks have issued warning about this stuff and it happens every day. People selling cars are a model for gettig ripped off !

I know a bank manager who got ripped off this way last year whilst selling his wifes Focus !

Dont do it C.O.D. only ........good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

MercMad wrote:
    but he could just be SAYING he's coming from Tipp !!

yea he never turned up.... What a di€k :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bp_me wrote:
    legal tender???????
    before the Euro came in £50 were rare and £100's were only seen once in a month of sunday's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If the buyer is paying by check, take the check and tell the buyer you will drive the car over to him the following day once you have cleared the cheque with your bank.

Assuming you meet at your house and not in a carpark, and that you look and are a decent person the buyer should have no problem.

Thats what I did and both parties were more than happy.

There is an element of trust involved when buying any car, and in general it is easy to spot genuine decent folk from chancers.

It generally takes a lot longer than a day to clear a cheque.

John R wrote:
    It generally takes a lot longer than a day to clear a cheque.
    I got mine cleared in a day.

Besides, if the guy is generally interested in the car, he will have no problem giving you the cheque and waiting until it clears.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ando wrote:
    yea he never turned up.... What a di€k :mad:

Fecking hate that :(

Do not take a cheque. Take either draft or cash. You can ring the bank branch that issued the draft to confirm if it is kosher
    before the Euro came in £50 were rare and £100's were only seen once in a month of sunday's

As an aside, within days of the introduction of the Euro, the most widely used note went from £20 to €50. Surely proof of Euro inflation, or isn't it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote:
    As an aside, within days of the introduction of the Euro, the most widely used note went from £20 to €50. Surely proof of Euro inflation, or isn't it?
    :D - tell the Italians about it, they went from using 1000Lira notes (50c) to 5 Euros, lots of small stuff jumped in price.

IIRC there used to be difficulties for foreign banks to repatriate Irish notes above a certain value by irish banks.

The fact that Bank machines now hand out €20's and €50's means you can really fly through money - used to be £10 and £20

Advertisement