Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Grafton St Closing!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do game even have a website where i can preorder stuff to collect?
    it completely re-juvenised the public's interest in games, as opposed to the relatively small amount of people who had a Megadrive/SNES
    :confused: Maybe it rejuvenated your interest, but I never bought anything there in my life. The huge leap forward in consoles, games and most importantly, marketing increased sales in games.

Not some overpriced high street retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They do have a website, http://www.game.net, but they deliver when you order stuff from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

CiaranC wrote:
    :confused: Maybe it rejuvenated your interest,

when posting about yourself, do you say 'the public' :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

dearg_doom wrote:
    There were loads of rumours about GAME et al taking bribes/incentives off sony but I don't know if any of that is true or false.

I think it's pretty much common knowledge that GAME let companies buy their way into their charts and floorspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I for one shall never forgive them. Just like I shall never forgive Michael Jackson for keeping the Beatles' Free As A Bird off no. 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Its not Game not being willing to push ninty boxes, its ninty not being willing to play the marketing game and purchase the shelf space. Ninty wont pay Game to push the software while Sony will.

Its standard practice where a retailer is large enough to dictate terms to the supplier, as such is the case with Game, that they charge the supplier (either directly or through discounted product) for prominent shelf placing or POS material.

Heres a link to a similar article on cd sales in the US.

http://www.oligopolywatch.com/2003/09/22.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

flogen wrote:
    oh I know, and I don't take it personally, I know GAME is a sh1t company :D

I wouldn't have thought they made the decision to drop sega and nintendo, I think they made the decision to sell whatever makes the most money. They're giving the DS a big launch because they see it (and the psp) as the only real money spinner between now and the next generation of consoles. GBA has always had a decent display in the stores because it sells, if the PSP outsells the ds and gba by miles, then that will become the main handheld display in the shop.

flogen

not if i have anything to do with it!

ps i hope you get fired! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

calhob_ie wrote:
    that they charge the supplier (either directly or through discounted product) for prominent shelf placing or POS material.

and that's my point :D

it's just a ****ty business attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

True, but also a profitable one.

Purchasing leverage is used throughout the retail market though, its one of the main ways supermarkets can sell stuff so cheap, and one of the main reasons why small suppliers/retailers are being forced out of the market.

Back on the topic of Grafton St though, I'd be surprised if anything other than BT made any money on Grafton St, there all flagship stores. There for the presence factor alone. As an example I worked in Burger King at the top of princes st in Edinburgh when I was at college at they lost approx 2k Stg a day just staying open. The combination of rent and rates in the area made it completely uneconomical to stay open but they stayed because the exposure the area gave them, and they were terriefied McDonalds would lease it if they moved out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fmckenna

All i have to say is Derrick and Adam should BOTH be fired for their sheer herecy.
    for shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Game dawson street is fabulous and that chick fiona who used to work there ROCKED and knew everythin anyone needed to know, even quantum chemistry! i miss her :confused:
    Game grafton street was cursed ever since perhaps the first and most incompetent manager of them all worked there and decided to make it one floor, due to the price of security and her laziness with regard to climbing stairs hint: initials SP.
    ciao for now. no wait, forever, i only accidently ended up here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

hey listen here missy at least i didnt get fired for shaggin in the stock room!(lies, yes i know but funny all the same!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

Argh......evad_yaG, i know you have problems with thief-ery!!!!! :p
    yet my 'heart'(cough) goes out to you, for wee miss fiona broke ur heart!!!!
    ps i like ninjas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

dearg_doom wrote:
    I remember when GAME grafton st. had an upstairs!! many a Saturday afternoon was wastedplaying Primal Rage/ AvP on the 50" screen!! huge GB/PC space too :)

HAHA, Them was the days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It closed fairly sudden didn't it? The other one behind it is staying?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I haven't bought a game on the high street in ireland for many many years. Play.com, pay the sterling price, save a packet. 59.99 for a new xbox game on the high street in ireland. 29.99 sterling for same. converts on www.xe.com/ucc to €43.53, free postage and if you pre-order it it is delivered on the day of release. Even with a cc fee for foreign currencies you save a packet, (at least a tenner). If you do use play.com already - don't pay using the euro price - they add a bit on their own conversion - you get a better rate off your credit card if you pay in sterling.

Advertisement