Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy activated charcoal

• 23-02-2005 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy packets of activated charcoal and how much does it cost?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not too sure..vets should have some. What do you need it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Not too sure..vets should have some. What do you need it for?

I was going to make a filter for my septic tank outlet with it for the smell :)
    Only place i heard of getting it was the pet shop though, so thats why i asked in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Aquarium shops usually have it in granular form 500g cost about 2-3 euro.
    Septic tank filter huh?! Thats a new one.I have heard it being used to reduce all types of odours but not a septic tank.
    Interesting

CJhaughey wrote:
    Aquarium shops usually have it in granular form 500g cost about 2-3 euro.
    Septic tank filter huh?! Thats a new one.I have heard it being used to reduce all types of odours but not a septic tank.
    Interesting

I dont know if it'll work yet but worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it works for you let us know how you made it..got a bit of a stinky spetic tank here too...mabey it would work for hubbys socks as well lol phewy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Septic tanks only smell when they are not active.
    Are you putting too much cleaning fluid in your washing machine?.
    Are you using domestos in your toilets?
    Are you washing the drains with bleach?
    Have you got smellies hanging in the toilet bowl?
    All of the above kill the natural bacteria in the tank in quantity.
    Stop using them in great quantities, use bleach instead of domestos, take out the bloo loo thing and hang one on the wall.
    Leave your tank for a week then put in some Biostart(flithy little bugs that eat s t) and the smell will disappear in a few weeks. And if you want some of that you know where I am. The activated carbon will only reduce the Nitrite in the tank but will have no affect on the smell.

Semell is completely gone.
    Here's what i did.

The outlet pipes were about 200mm hight and 4inches in diameter.

I got activated charcoal a short piece of 4in pipe and a coonector to connect the pipes. Put gause into the connector, drilled lots of holes in the side of the new pipe, poured in the charcoal and covered the top with plastic. This way the air gets out the sides but the rain doesn't get in on top of the charcoal.

You can test to make sure air is still flowing through it by using a pluger. If you can push it into the pipe the airflow is fine.

Even when i put my nose up to it i cant smell anything.
    I'll have to get some plastic gause because the material stuff will rot eventually and the charcoal will fall into the tank.

All in all a worthwhile excercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

Glad it worked never heard of that one before!!!

Basically it was the same as what the ones were selling on the net were made of.
    This probably belongs in DIY now.

Advertisement