Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratches on a heatsink

Options
  • 23-02-2005 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looking for a little advice:

I'm putting together a new PC, I got a sempron 2200 and new motherboard and extras. I have to use an old AMD heatsink from an AthonXP 2100..

It works fine, but while I was cleaning the old grease off I scratched it. they are not very deep. Do you guys think if I have applied the grease nice and thin that there will be any problems??

Side Note: I thought I had fried the CPU, becuase the Diagnoise LEDs told me the CPU was damaged or not installed. I double checked everything and couldnt find the problem. But I googled today and found the MSI board I have has a separate 12v power suppy for the CPU that I never connected up, so I'm hopeing that is the problem.... Stupid manual didnt go into that..

Pablo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I may be wrong but thats what the paste is for, filing the gaps to maintian good contact.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jozi wrote:
    I may be wrong but thats what the paste is for, filing the gaps to maintian good contact.

Jozi

Your right, it fills in microgaps, i dont think it is supposed to fill in big gashes though, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

well they are not really deep... But it depends on your scale I suppose.

I have some sandpaper at home would that smooth it down some?

I really dont want to fry this CPU:)..

Pablo..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A few small scratches won't make much of a difference. You will gain a few degrees but nothing serious. I've used severly scratched heatsinks in the past with no problems.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

pablo321 wrote:
    well they are not really deep... But it depends on your scale I suppose.

I have some sandpaper at home would that smooth it down some?

I really dont want to fry this CPU:)..

Pablo..

If its very fine sandpaper then it will do no harm to smooth it down a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If its very fine sandpaper then it will do no harm to smooth it down a bit

Only if he sands it perfectly flat. If he doesn't it could be worse than it is now. You want at least 4000 grit paper to do it.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

thanks for all the advice:)

I couldnt find any really fine sandpaper and on second look I though t it would be okay..

So I put it together and its working fine..

I have an old heatsink and its hovering around 32C.. I havent setup the processor FSB in the bios yet, but it is going at a fair clap...

Pablo...

Advertisement