Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd-Milan (prob contain scores)

• 23-02-2005 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Well, the nerves are setting in now. Such a big game. I have a horrible feeling one of our lads at the back (looking at either Micky or Carroll) will make one mistake, letting Milan in. I really hope not. I always get pessimistic before the big games though. I also hope we don't let them in on the counter. They've only conceded 4 away from home in Serie A this year apparently. So the away leg could really suit them. Let's hope not. Clean sheet is major for us tonight I feel. We really need Giggsy and Ronnie to shine tonight - although I have a horrible feeling about Ron. Generally, from what I've seen, if he gets a hard challenge on him early on, he can disappear. and we know the Italians know every trick in the book. But we really need those two lads to do it - they're up against very experienced full backs, but hopefully the age will count in our favour! COME ON YOU REDS!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I have a vision of a 2-0. But that counts for nothing as I'm always wrong. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Silvestre to give away a peno, does Inzaghi still play for Milan? If he does we get to watch him dive as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im hoping they can do it. Its vital that they take a couple goal lead to the san siro and dont conceed. So important not to conceed.

Either way im really lookign forward to this match. Have been for a long time.

Draupnir wrote:
    Silvestre to give away a peno, does Inzaghi still play for Milan? If he does we get to watch him dive as usual
    He does but he's out I think. Crespo is the lone striker up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rooney playing? He'll be guaranteed to blow his top.

• Advertisement

Hey are you the new mod guy?

I don't think he'll blow his top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

United are on top form at the moment, I'll be quitely confident we can get a result this evening. It's important not to concede more than one goal but hopefully sylvestre will keep his concentration and not make any silly mistakes.

Really looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Hmm, i still have no confidence in the defence / keeper to keep a clean sheet tonight. Both Silvestre and Ferdinand cannot keep focussed for 90 minutes (especially Silvestre) and they will be punished as they have before in Europe. Even if they somehow prove me wrong then you have to hope Carroll is at the top of his game, but i'm never sure how he is going to play. The main thing tonight is United have to take whatever chances they get attacking (they aren't going to get many), especially Ronaldo and Rooney who although have been scoring fairly regularly in recent weeks are probably taking more attempts to score than Andy Cole ever did. I don't think Van Nistleroy will start, he has no match fitness, I remember him at the start of the season when he came back from injury and the ball was bouncing off him.
    After saying all that, I believe United will win 2-1, but we will have to score over there to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Milan have the better defence. United are stronger in midifield and attack. I dont think Milan will score - unless its handed to them on a plate.

I've a small fear that Ferguson may pick the wrong team (e.g. Phil Neville in centre midfield), which might lead to 0-0.

Interesting fact: Paulo Maldini made his senior debut for AC Milan before Wayne Rooney was even born. :eek:
    just noticed the list of smilies on this board is particularly poor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I fancy utd to nick this maybe 1-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

0-1 or 0-0 , but either way advantage Milan , failing to score an away goal may seem important but ive no doubts that they'll win at the San Siro .

I predict a 0-1 , Crespo the scorer .

I remember him at the start of the season when he came back from injury and the ball was bouncing off him.
    Yer i remember that as well. I was hoping he'd get some sort of run on saturday and was disappointed to see he wasnt even a sub. Lets hope he makes the sub bench for tonight tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ronaldo will be the dangerman if he gets his crosses right like against everton and is van the man starting or on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's really important for Utd. to not conceed and if they do, not to conceed more than one. However, going on Utd.'s current form I reckon they should nick the win. Any news as to whether RVN is starting?

B.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I hate calling this one as I support both teams, but I have been supporting United longer and have never been to San Siro so I will be swayed to support United.

Milans defence is really solid, BUT they have not been scoring a lot of late and have been tripping to wins in the Serie A. United have scored a nice few goals.

I actually think it will be a no score draw with some great football. ( I predicted the same result for United and Arseanl ! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

is RTE showing this ? what time is it on at ??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

is RTE showing this ? what time is it on at ??

RTE2 @ 19:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I expect Milan to sit back for the whole match and try and bore United to death.
    Milan have been struggling to score of late and look dodgy at the back.
    If Rooney and Ronaldo run at them with pace I can see big problems for them.
    Need a good ref .
    I hope Milan dont get away with the persistent fouling Juventus employed last night .
    The Juve defenders had their hands all over Real players any time the ball went near the penalty box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

A win is most important regardless of the scoreline,conceding a goal will hardly be our downfall.We have beaten italian opposition away before so we should be capable of getting the desired away result that would complimenrt our home win if we get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

brown is playing, RVN isnt. rooney up front on his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Looking at that Milan team (minus Stam apparently injured in the warm up) I just think they have the edge. United have been playing great though, so Ill go for a 2-1, I wont stick my head out and say which team however.

I think Crespo will do well tonight. I think he will feel like he has something to prove, and there is no doubt about his class.

Looking at that Milan team (minus Stam apparently injured in the warm up) I just think they have the edge. United have been playing great though, so Ill go for a 2-1, I wont stick my head out and say which team however.

I think Crespo will do well tonight. I think he will feel like he has something to prove, and there is no doubt about his class.
    LOL United it is so.

Keeper all over the place, Fortune narrowly wide

talla wrote:
    Even if they somehow prove me wrong then you have to hope Carroll is at the top of his game, but i'm never sure how he is going to play. .

I hate being proved right :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Big Ears wrote:
    I predict a 0-1 , Crespo the scorer .
    I have a horrible feeling one of our lads at the back (looking at either Micky or Carroll) will make one mistake, letting Milan in.
    You guys were spot on, frighteningly so!

The only difference in the game was Calamity Carroll's howler.

ROY CARROLL AAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That's All.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

two people cost united that game. ryan giggs cos he stayed in the dressing room. he didnt give a monkeys, gave the ball away cheaply and generally looked like he couldnt be arsed.

roy carroll for obvious reasons, i.e. taking a few grand a week from united and not being able to catch.

three players were outstanding for united, heinze keane and fortune. otherwise it was lacklustre. theres always a chance, but it looks bleak.

Terrible performance by United. They were given a football lesson by Milan tonight. Giggs and Rooney, absolute disgrace, couldn't even do the basics right. Only players that played halfway decent tonight were Fortune, brown and Heinze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

United were brought back down to Earth tonight. English football was put in it's place and we were all given hope with the impossible things that we aim to achieve in life by the fact that Roy Carroll continues to get his game for Man U

• Advertisement

You've just seen the last Champs League at Old Trafford this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

United were terrible, worst ive seen them play in years.Couldnt even string 2 passes together. Only players who played well were Heinze & Fortune. The rest never showed up .Giggs and Scholes were awful

Anyone want to make an original point?

talla wrote:
    Terrible performance by United. They were given a football lesson by Milan tonight. Giggs and Rooney, absolute disgrace, couldn't even do the basics right. Only players that played halfway decent tonight were Fortune, brown and Heinze.

Agreed, Scholes passing was very poor too. The best team won but we're not dead and burried united can still do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

what formation was Ferguson playing? Giggs up front. Rodney on the wing.

I think he was hoping for ManU to catch the 'aging' milan defenders on the break..

poor match.

fade2black wrote:
    Anyone want to make an original point?

No need to be smart, people are expressing their opinion on the game. That ok by you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

An up hill struggle faces us in milan in 2 weeks time. As was pointed out in the thread already, too many of our players did not preform tonight, especially giggs, rooney and scholes. Heinze was again outstanding and I thought Fortune tried his heart out. I am not going to comment on Carroll other then we need to break the bank in the summer for a keeper.

We will be capable of scoring in Italy but I think that they will also score. So at this stage I think the premiership will only have one team in the quarter finals and that will be liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I wouldn't necessarily write UTd off yet

Count your bessings it wasn't wrose - late on Kaka had two golden opportunities to play an unmarked crespo in, once Ferguson had switched to 3 at the back, and the greedy little shít squandered the opportunites.

With Horse back and a must win situation, Utd are still more than capable of doing it in the 2nd leg. Have to play better than tonight though.

Bring back Ricardo i say :)
    Did Carroll sign that contract extension??

L5 wrote:
    No need to be smart, people are expressing their opinion on the game. That ok by you?

I don't want to read the exact same point four or five times. That ok by you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

woeful performance form utd. carroll should be dropped immediately. i called for his head after spurs, he must take a backseat now. stupid error that cost utd dearly.

0-0 and a poor performance and you'll take the result, happy you didnt concede. 0-1 is a poor result and leaves utd with a mountain to climb.

the only plus is that utd are now forced to attack in the 2nd leg which is what they are most comfortable doing. saha should start along with van, when he came on he made a difference (saha), rooney should be dropped.

keano and scholes played their usual selves. the rest was poor. not acceptable if you want to win the champions league. however it may, just may be a blessing in disguise. 1-0 gives milan what they want, something to hold onto. they'll try and frustrate utd, foul, dive, wind up people and take a 0-0. if utd can get a goal it's game on and both will be forced to attack.

if ronaldo, giggs, scholes, van nistelrooy and saha start, utd will get goals in milan.

• Advertisement

After the first half i was actually pretty confiendt but the second half was horrible.
    Man u actually had more possesion in the second half than the first but looked nowhere near as dangerous. Lets hope Milan feel that the tie is finished tho id find that unlikely. :(

Still nice to see RvN back

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

It'll be tough. I'm ridiculously downhearted. My prediction came true. And how often have I defended Carroll in here in the past? He isn't the answer, and I've never said he is, I just don't think Howard is either. As has been said, break the bank Fergie. A schoolboy error. Embarrassing. We were taught a lesson tonight, Milan were far superior. They bossed the game. I still think we can do it, but if the likes of Giggs, Rooney and Scholes again don't turn up, we may aswell just forfeit now.

fade2black wrote:

Fade to Black, i'm going to give you one warning only - drop it now!

I don't like our chances against a Milan that are going to all out defend. They attacked us tonight and still looked comfortable at the back, and they still have Staam to come back. I really think it's a monumental uphill task from here. We have a habit of throwing ties away at this stage of the competition.

heizne had a great game, fortune was good aswell. unlucky not to score i nthe first half.

giggs, scholes, rooney, ronaldo were terrible. Saha and rooney should be on from the start. Milan werent really put under any huge pressure.

if schevcenko is back for the 2nd leg united will have a massive task. if they concede, which they probaly will, they need to score 2 goals(not 3!). gonna be very tough.

funny looking back on the predictions, 3-0 to united, haha not quite.

fade2black wrote:

go somewhere else then. Its an open forum, people have a right to post their own views. You have the right to piss off somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pity about Carroll. Milan shaded it on football ability and Man United shaded it on chances. I can't see Man United getting the win in the San Siro

L5 cool it! Back to talking about the match

if they concede, which they probaly will, they need to score 3 goals. gonna be very tough..
    No, Only 2

smemon wrote:
    they'll try and frustrate utd, foul, dive, wind up people and take a 0-0. if utd can get a goal it's game on and both will be forced to attack.

if ronaldo, giggs, scholes, van nistelrooy and saha start, utd will get goals in milan.

when did milan dive tonight?

i think they will go out to score, and kill the game off. going by tonights performance they dont really have much to worry about from united attack.

cheers brian, edited it

• Advertisement
Advertisement