Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd-Milan (prob contain scores)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

David19 wrote:
    Well man utd is a business. They can't spend as much as milan.
    I think ManU could outbid Milan if they want to. Certainly that wouldnt be a good excuse for not having a top keeper, especially given:
    Ferdinand 29m
    Heinze 7m
    Ronaldo 12m
    Rooney 20m+
    VanNist 18m
    Saha 12m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

PHB Milan are a business but they're owned by a multi-billionnaire as im sure you know. They don't operate as a strict profit making business like united. They make losses but still spend a fortune on players. Berlusconi can just open his wallet if they need a player.
    Rooster i don't think man utd could outbid milan considering Berlusconi could buy united several times over. Im not making excuses for united, they should have a good keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

David19 wrote:
    PHB Milan are a business but they're owned by a multi-billionnaire as im sure you know. They don't operate as a strict profit making business like united. They make losses but still spend a fortune on players. Berlusconi can just open his wallet if they need a player.
    Rooster i don't think man utd could outbid milan considering Berlusconi could buy united several times over. Im not making excuses for united, they should have a good keeper.

Silvio is no longer president of AC Milan http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=2554

Apparently his son has taken over and is a lot less willing to open the families wallet to buy new players and operate at a loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ehhh, didn't Rooney eat into the next seasons transfer money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yeah i heard his son took over but id say his financial backing would still be there if it was needed. Fair enough though, i know they're less inclined to spend huge amounts of money these days. Anyway this is all off topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If it's any consolation, things looked a lot worse after Juventus' visit to OT in '99 and Milan are not unkown to implode through overconfidence (see the Riazor last year).
    Also Shevchenko should be out for at least a month with that gruesome double fracture of cheek and eye-socket (apparently he was millimetres away from almost certain death, had it connected with his temple, but that's neither here nor there).

Whoever reckons Dida is not a good keeper should watch him more often - he's a fantastic stopper, with some of the best reflexes in the world game, and his positioning is not too shabby either.

Anyone know what ball they're using in the Champions' League? I've seen a lot of basic handling errors from otherwise quality keepers, and Roy Carroll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It seems to me that some are overly confident that utd can almost score at will at the san siro!

When is the last time that Milan lost a competitive game in europe at home?

This season they kept a clean sheet against the brilliant attack of Barca and they scored one too to beat them 1-0. And with Seva back they are going to be much more dangerous up front. If he was playing last night i think the tie could have been over and Milan would have given Utd a lesson in football, not that they really didnt anyway but they would have had the goals to show for it.

But the tie is not over at all but its a huge huge huge ask to go beat milan in their back yard

I actually kinda hope all the english teams get knocked out this round as it might be a wake up call to the english press to show that the premiership is far behind the likes of la liga and seria A.

No doubt its all them forgieners fault :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

[Dida's] a fantastic stopper, with some of the best reflexes in the world game, and his positioning is not too shabby either.

Yeah, so is Dudek. But like Dudek, nothing sticks, and when crosses come in and he's under pressure he'll flap.

He was badly at fault for the great headed chance that Saha had as soon as he came on. (I know its unclear whether it would have counted or not, RTE reckon a foul was called, Sky reckoned no foul was called - either way he most certainly was not fouled).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jank wrote:
    I actually kinda hope all the english teams get knocked out this round as it might be a wake up call to the english press to show that the premiership is far behind the likes of la liga and seria A.

No doubt its all them forgieners fault :rolleyes:

I know why you are saying that. Because Arsenal are almost definitely on their way out.

I think Man Utd will win 2 - 1 in Milan. As for Ferguson defending Carroll, he can do nothing else but that because, quite simply, if he comes out saying it is Carrolls fault, Carroll will have absolutely no confidence and it is not as if he can just swap keepers around...because all he has is Howard and Carroll...both dodgy keepers under pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

how wrong were you lot about milan being boring?
    If anything last nights match proved once and for all that you all have backwards views of italian football and dilusions of grandure with regards to the EPL, Milan are a cut above united in every department when thier full squad is out.

FORZA MILAN!

• Advertisement

Silvio is no longer president of AC Milan http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=2554

Apparently his son has taken over and is a lot less willing to open the families wallet to buy new players and operate at a loss

He is still the major shareholder and the person who will give out the transfer kitty, he just doesn't have a hand in the day to day running of the club anymore.

Milan are still owned be the most wealthy football club owner in the world
    ;)

I think ManU could outbid Milan if they want to. Certainly that wouldnt be a good excuse for not having a top keeper, especially given:
    Ferdinand 29m
    Heinze 7m
    Ronaldo 12m
    Rooney 20m+
    VanNist 18m
    Saha 12m

Small money to a club like milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that carrol how does he sleep at nights knowing how he mess uniteds title up and proply champsions league

****ing waster of a goalie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Yet again too many players didn't perform when it mattered against a top team.From a 1st half in which we didn't do too badly to the 2nd half were milan took control and had us on the backfoot for almost the whole half.When you create 2 half decent chances in 90 minutes against a quality team at least 1 of them has to be put away.Rooney up front on his own against an italian defence was hardly the thing to do considering he had little support.Giggs was awful and for a couple of seasons seems to be going through the motions with the odd decent game apart.It will take something along the lines of juventus away in 99 for united to progress and as i much as i want it to happen judging by that performance it doesn't look likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Big Ears wrote:
    I predict a 0-1 , Crespo the scorer .

well im happy with myself...........its not often im right :o .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

almost 120 posts on this match, a little tiring now. with utd/milan it's a big game but lets not blow it out of porportion.

i get the feeling everyone's jumping in because utd lost. it's not over yet. it's a 2 legged tie. it's too early to be writing anyone off or sticking the boot in when theres still 90mins to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

smemon wrote:
    almost 120 posts on this match, a little tiring now. with utd/milan it's a big game but lets not blow it out of porportion.

i get the feeling everyone's jumping in because utd lost. it's not over yet. it's a 2 legged tie. it's too early to be writing anyone off or sticking the boot in when theres still 90mins to go.

Smemmon you should know every large profile United game gets a lot of posts wheather win or loss .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Roy Carroll has to go. United need to spend money on the likes of Toldo or Buffon if they're to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Not a good week for goalies of British teams; Dudek, Carrol, Lehmann and Douglas all making mistakes.

Milan played very very well. Did what they needed to do, but the game is far from over.
    Milan stopped Utd from playing their typical game with attacking flair. Keane was kept quiet by a stern and controlled Milan midfield.

The worrying thing from a Milan point of view, is that given they had the better of midfield, Man U were able to open up our defence and should have scored. A good team can create with majority of possession, a great team can create from scraps.

Cafu was excellent on the right, I was dissapointed that Stam got picked before him, before the injury. Centre defence was strong, but was permeable at times.
    Kaladze was great, also, showing his class. Hopefully he will stay at Milan (rumours of a swap deal with Chelsea for Crespo).

Pirlo had an excellent game, Kaka played well, but the player who impressed me was Genareno "the bull" Gattuso. Best Milan player!
    Crespo should good positioning throughout game.

But, I have to acknowledge one of the best defenders in the world at the mo, a typical Argentinian-no-nonsense, no-****-taking, Heintze. He's fooking excellent. Good defense, and came forward on occasions trying to ignite an attack.

It makes for an excellent 2nd leg, possibly one of the best games in recent CL history IMO. Sheva-gol may return, and Van Nistelrooy should be near fully fit.

Fergusen will have to change tactics and have 2 up front. Rooney was isolated and stood small chance against Maldini and Nesta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

utd need paul Robinson as our next goalie

Advertisement