Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any one here using a sat nav system?

Options
  • 23-02-2005 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

and which one? does tom tom mobile have an irish map? im hopeless with directions, one would be really great for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

I have a navman running SmartST version 2.
    It only has the N-roads on it.

I saw a "Tom Tom Go" which didnt have Ireland at all !

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK TomTom has no coverage for Ireland at all. Some others, notably those using map data from Navteq, do, but it is at the moment pretty much restricted to the big cities and main roads. Coverage of Dublin is quite good, although the main problem with all of these products is getting hold of up-to-date maps. Navteq, and other map suppliers update their databases quarterly, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their customers, i.e. the satnav s/w manufacturers will always take (and pay for) that data, convert it o their own proprietary format, and pass it on to their customers. In fact usually, they only do it annually, and combine it with a software update for which they charge.

FWIW, I've used both Mapopolis and Navigon Mobile Navigator 4 here, and they're quite good, considering. Don't expect perfection though, and they can come up with some pretty bizarre routing sometimes. In this regard, rapid re-routing in case you either miss, or deliberately ignore a turn is essential. Mapopolis is great at this, Navigon, less so.

Advertisement