Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia announce more new phones

Options
  • 23-02-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Nokia have released details for 3 new phones
    6681 6101 6682

google for pics, but they are all basically 6600's with EDGE/1.3Mp camera and all-new fancy designs...

is anyone even that interested in new phones anymore :confused:

I have had my 6600 for over a year now and I had a lot of fun(still do) customising it, playing with new games/apps but I have to say the next time I'll be messing around with something like this, and paying thru the nose for it too, will probably be a PDA...

anyone else feel the same?
    or is the mobile market still as fresh an fun in your eyes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I actually agree to a certain degree. I love my phone... 6600 myself. I was always a 4-6 month phone man but I had the 7650 for about a year and I am now on my 6600 for 1 year 3 months. It's been the best phone I've ever had! :)

Now... next step! Going to move to a PDA. I'm looking at the i-mates. I want to get into using the free phone calls, instant messenging, email, etc. So, I'm looking at this one...

I-Mate PDA 2k - http://www.imate.com/index.asp?PageAction=DETAILS_PDA2K

In brief.... MS Windows Mobile, GSM/GPRS, Quad Band, 128MB Ram, 64MB Rom, Bluetooth, MMC Memory, 3.5" 64k screen, Camera, Keyboard, Wireless Lan (802.11b).

Main feature there is the wireless lan. So, I'll be connecting the phone to my wireless lan at home, work, parents house, all my cousins houses have wireless lans... hotspots (the free ones anyway)..... and using good old skype (www.skype.com for anyone that has been in the dark ages for the past year) to make my free/cheap calls!

I priced an import of this phone from the UK (http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/pda2k_sim_free.html) and it works out at EUR 650 including delivery (that's ex vat too cause I got meself a vat number :) )

Is that what you are thinking of doing dearg?

Yeah, a cool looking small phone is pretty nifty and great to show off but I think I get much more out of the functionality of a phone, e.g. 7650, 6600, etc. If I wasn't going the PDA route, I'd probably go for one of the new smartphones from Nokia... cause let's face it... Nokia are the best!

My 2 cents...

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Christ no! I cant stand the 6600, had one for almost a year and found it the most frustrating piece of crap I've ever used.

As seems to be usual with these Nokia Series 60 devices (had a 7650 and then 3650 previously), it worked ok for about a month and then started to slow down and spit out random errors. Plus it takes what seems like far too long to bring up texts or missed calls. The buttons started to fail within about 4 months, and by the end I had to get by without the use of the "2" or "8" buttons - which makes for some "interesting" sms messages.

Made me vow not to get Nokia again.

... now ... feel much better ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

that i-mate looks ****ing savage!!!

but no, I'm happy with my 6600, I'm just sick of seeing these incremental updates which add nothing new, most of them seem to be released just for the sake of it, or to proect a 'style' statement.

re PDA's: I was actually thinking of getting one, but maybe in about 6 months, they don't seem to be mature enough ATM

but for me, the future is defintely with the PDA/free calls as opposed to a new phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

otron wrote:
    Christ no! I cant stand the 6600, had one for almost a year and found it the most frustrating piece of crap I've ever used.

As seems to be usual with these Nokia Series 60 devices (had a 7650 and then 3650 previously), it worked ok for about a month and then started to slow down and spit out random errors. Plus it takes what seems like far too long to bring up texts or missed calls. The buttons started to fail within about 4 months, and by the end I had to get by without the use of the "2" or "8" buttons - which makes for some "interesting" sms messages.

Made me vow not to get Nokia again.

... now ... feel much better ... :D

I know exactly what you're talking about!

I've had my 6600 repaired twice within 7months of getting it!(7,8,9-buttons stopped working and screen) both of which resulted in lost work files, phonebook, messages, notes, band songs, my whole life!!!
    I had a 3200 for 3 years with zero problems!!

still have a soft spot for Nokia tho! their UI beats moto and any other maker I've tried hands down

basically I dont think the mobile has too long left before it's obsolete, so I don't understand who'd be spending a wad on a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I have my nokia 6600 for about a month now and im wondering if i should of bought it or something better,I think its a great phone with great apps and stuff but im starting to think I should of gone with a 3G phone, anyone agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

1huge1 wrote:
    I have my nokia 6600 for about a month now and im wondering if i should of bought it or something better,I think its a great phone with great apps and stuff but im starting to think I should of gone with a 3G phone, anyone agree?
    Don't know about a 3G phone in itself. My mother has one of the ones vodafone released, e.g. the upgrade to the 6600. It's a cool phone, much better features than the 6600. I'd nearly go for it myself but the 3G thing wouldn't sell it to me. It'd be the features on the phones. But nokia are bringing out some cool upgrades to the 6600...

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,70452,00.html
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,70562,00.html
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,64800,00.html
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,63733,00.html

I may buy the iMate and a nokia companion! :)

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

I'm still using a 7650 (purely for the Series 60 options) along with a normal lower rate phone for heading to the pub and such (so I don't have to hold a brick to my ear) have to say its damn handy, but a bit disapointing on the auld memory... I've heard the 3650 is good but still a bit of a lump... :rolleyes:

Looking into getting a PDA of some description in the near future, but if you're on a tight budget either of these are damn handy phones (apart from memory restrictions, great as a file transfer unit and the add on app.'s are dead handy...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Sorry for bumping this up, but has anyone got any idea of when the 6101 is out? It's supposed to be second quarter of 2005 but it doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

on the subject of the 6600 has any new apps come out for it in the last 3 months

Advertisement