Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

remove a link from a motorbike chain.

Options
  • 23-02-2005 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

can any do this or recommend where to get it done.

i got a new chain in october , 1500 miles travelled.
    its fully adjusted out and the travel is at about 2 inches.

i brought it back to the shop who sold and fitted it, who said they wont replace it or repair it, i must buy a new one.
    a few places ive asked said its too dangerous to remove links.

this chain is brand new and i cant afford to get another one.
    anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you take a link out, you're actually taking two out (an inner link and an outer pair of plates.
    In theory, it should be possible to do, and quite safe, provided you don't damage the rest of the chain. Also, if you have the usual style chain (don't know the name for it) where you can clip a "false" link out to split it, twill be easy.

All the plates are just pressed into place, there are no screws and no glue. Get a large flathead screwdriver, with a sharp head (~1mm) and fairly big diameter (>5mm). Take the second to last link to remove, jam the screwdriver in behind the plate, and hammer like a madman until the plate pops off.

Worked for me before, but I was just removing a chain, not modifying one. :D
    You could do it the correct way and try to get your hands on a motorcycle chain splitter, which presses the rivets in and out of place.

They probably said it wouldn't be safe since you shouldn't really try to squeeze extra mileage out of a worn chain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

heh, cool :0

anyone got one of those chain splitters?
    ill have a look at popping a link off myself this eveing.

kinda thought they might just be trying to screw me out of money for a new kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Your bike is one of those 125 chopper thingies isn't it? Just check that the chain on it isn't an o-ring chain (they have fibre rings separating the links and plates and you can't diy adjust them) and check all the way around it to see if there is a split link. I use a bench vise and a suitable short bolt to push the rivets in and out, but I wouldn't go at this task unless you are confident of your ability to get it back correctly, or you don't mind pushing your bike home tomorrow night...

'c

yeah youre right abiout the bike ceptr.

i dont know if its an 0 or X ring or whatnot.
    im not too keen on the idea of fcking it up.

so i think ill go back to my other option.
    anyone know anyone that will do this and wont try to force a new chaina nd sprocket on me?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I keep recommending Leo O'Reillys in Drumcondra and I always used them when I needed any fancy spanner-twirling so give them a bell and see what they say.

Is there any chance the chain is shagged due to lack of oil or poor adjustment and the first place didn't make this clear enough?

Did you change the sprockets at the time, ie is there any chance dud sprockets have sent your new chain for an early bath? I doubt it is o-ring as they are very pricey and usually only used on high power bikes.

'c

• Advertisement

I keep recommending Leo O'Reillys in Drumcondra and I always used them when I needed any fancy spanner-twirling so give them a bell and see what they say.

thanks ill ring them in the morning
    Is there any chance the chain is shagged due to lack of oil or poor adjustment and the first place didn't make this clear enough?

doubt it
    my other chain lasted me close to two years and i didnt do anything different
    Did you change the sprockets at the time, ie is there any chance dud sprockets have sent your new chain for an early bath?

ive never done anything more than put oil on it and tighten as it became loose.

the chain itself loosened very quickly and the back wheel was pretty much fully adjusted out when i first tightened it up. I was moved it back but now its ful out with no more adjustment.

Advertisement