Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Boy

• 23-02-2005 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Anyone else see this film?
    http://www2.cdwow.ie/detail_results_2.php?product_code=16203

Great movie and well worth a look. Completly twisted revenge movie, with great acting, scenes and overall quality. Some great Korean films around and this is one of the best...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Ah boo! Does anyone know if it is available on DVD to rent anywhere yet.
    I was on my way to see this in the Film society in Sligo when my car trye exploded so didn't make it in time and I was really looking forward to it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's a great film.

Unfortunetly I've never seen the whole thing. I brought my girlfriend along to it and she'd seen one tooth pulling scene too many and we had to leave. boo...

I'll have to pick up a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Keano_sli wrote:
    I was on my way to see this in the Film society in Sligo when my car trye exploded so didn't make it in time and I was really looking forward to it. :(
    Keano..

You're in luck!

Seen it today in ChartBusters (formerly Video City) over on your way into Wine Street Car Park. They'd plenty of copies of it in there.. in the new release section, near the end of the aisle.. and it's one of the bottom rows of the shelves.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Old Boy is the best film of last year, brilliant plot and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Really good, and completely twisted indeed. This should be in films though, rather than Film Reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Keano_sli wrote:

Xtravision have it too, it's well worth a look.they seem to be getting pretty good for asian movies recently, they had Zatoichi and Infernal affairs 1 & 2 in stock last time i looked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Gave this film a go there yesturday based on the fact it was getting a 100% thumbs up here, got it rented from the local Xtra Vision, and jaysus, what a brutal show, superb stuff all round, anyone interested in asian films in the slightest should definately look into this one, the actor who plays lead in this suits his role utterly perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I rented this in my local advance vision in Bray
    really really excellent movie , great story , action, acting , humour
    its just so hard to describe , one word of warning though its not for the faint hearted!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Whilst I'm not normally a fan of alot of violence or action in films this one blew me away with is clever plot twists and beautiful cinematography. You must see this film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Have it at home. I couldn't watch past the cockroach coming out of the guys body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Great film. Was expecting a straight forward revenge film with a good premise. Was blown away at how good this film is. Looks great and it has a pretty tasty plot too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

did i miss something,,,,when i finished watching this film i turned to my partner and asked what was that all about ,,lots of korean dialoge,but little sub titles,,was a great film,,yes i also watched the motorcycle diaries,great film,and i know no comparisons.?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

my favourite film from last year. definitely top of my purchase list once i get my cc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

awesome film, definitely the best I've seen from Asian!! The ending was a real kick in the face.

Anyone who liked Kill Bill should seek this film out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I enjoyed the references to Oedipus Rex. Great film. Anybody seen the extras, like your man having to apologise to the squids before eating them cause he's a Buddhist.

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

What were your interpretations of the hypnosis scene? The end one that is. Better talk vaguely we don't wanna spoil it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

couldn;t see it in Xtra Vision Rathgar.
    It had infernal aaffairs 1 and 2 though. Are they good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

one of the best movies i have seen in ages. heard about it on boards a few months ago. amazing movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

pwd wrote:

Yes they are. First one is excellent, but the second one not as great, but still worth seeing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pwd wrote:
    I recommend both. The first is more tightly plotted than the second, which is a little more derivative of a famous Mafia movie. Definetely worth your time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Maybe some staff in that store read my post because it's there now.
    Superb film!
    So is infernal affairs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

pwd wrote:
    Pfft, go to Chartbusters :)
    But yeah, Oldboy is a fantastic movie. I've only seen it the once, I haven't rented it since it came out because I don't think it will have the same impact.
    The Infernal Affairs are great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

*sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but i see that they are remaking this. Stupid Hollywood!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I think it would be best for everyone if I stayed out of the debate on the remake of Oldboy this time. You'd understand if you remembered the last topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I'm only 30 mins into it and I fricking love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ixoy wrote:
    I recommend both. The first is more tightly plotted than the second, which is a little more derivative of a famous Mafia movie. Definetely worth your time though.
    Infernal affairs 1: Brilliant, What a cast, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, Eric Tsang (ACE!!!) Anthony Wong!!! Second one was pretty good (Eric Tsang is even better than in the first one. Film could've been a bit tighter is all Third one was excelent too..... Wait for the scene in the Shrink's Office. Won't say any more.... You'll know it when you see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

get JSA if you like this in Chartbusters its the director of Old Boys first movie !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Saw Oldboy a few days ago there. Everyone who'd seen it would not shut up about how brilliant, etc. It was very tightly scripted and well acted and everything (did the lead guy remind anyone of else of Gary Oldman? Might've just been the hair), but I have to say I saw every single twist coming well in advance. No spoilers and all that, but I really found it awfully predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ExOffender wrote:
    Saw Oldboy a few days ago there. Everyone who'd seen it would not shut up about how brilliant, etc. It was very tightly scripted and well acted and everything (did the lead guy remind anyone of else of Gary Oldman? Might've just been the hair), but I have to say I saw every single twist coming well in advance. No spoilers and all that, but I really found it awfully predictable.

well spotted in Korea he is know as the Korean Gary Olman! think he studied Leon closely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

Weird!

Advertisement