Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to pick a History special topic. Any ideas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Is there any particular area you are interested in about WW2, you could try El Alemain or a part of D-Day or Kursk. I suppose you could do Rommel or another General if you are interested in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I recommend something like Mussolinis rescue by Hitler from the allies in WW2.
    I did Hitler in WW1.
    Its very important thaat you dont do anything which has any relevance whatsoever to a question you might want to anwser

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

ist aslo important thta youu kan spel corectly in yer test. PHB - try lurnin unglich bee4 poastin :) :rolleyes: :( :mad: :cool:

Indeed, its actually to do with my spacebar unfortunately, can't afford a new one, want to buy me one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭AllStar

pick somthing off the wall because then the examiner wont know anything about it and will prop just give u full marks. i did "new weapons and technology of ww1" went back to look at my paper and i had got full marks
    best of luck :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I did a nice tasty one on the siege of Waterford during the Irish Civil war. I presume the examiner didn't know anything about it and probably didn't care so I got an honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea i did the Sack of Balbriggan and got full marks. Was able to get loads of info also because its a local topic......the guy in the library does like to waffle though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

If you want to do ww2, then I suggest steering clear of any "popular" aspects of the war; D-day, stalingrad etc; perhaps instead write something on the invasion of Poland (you would get much kudos for dispelling the "polish cavalry" myth) or France, or the longest conflict of the entire war: the Finnish-Soviet conflict...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I spent a few summers correcting history papers for the Dept. of Education, and if you want my advice, go for a local topic as fade2black and peachypants did. A friend did the life of Noel Browne for his LC, the man himself lived in the country and was willing to be interviewed, great angle to take TBH.

But don't do anythign that limits you in your course in general.
    For example don't do a project on DeValera in the 30's since you could then not do a question in the exam on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I recommend something like Mussolinis rescue by Hitler from the allies in WW2.

I did that very topic (having steeled the idea off someone from this forum in an old thread of this) and it served me well. Good topic, not an over-abundance of information on it though. Starting 5 minutes early in the exam helped too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I recommend The Lost Colony At Roanoke it would be abit unusual and it should stand out.

some links
    http://www.nationalcenter.org/ColonyofRoanoke.html
    http://www.coastalguide.com/packet/lostcolony01.htm

and this one is very intresting...

The Melungeons
    http://members.aol.com/bbbenge/page15.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Leisha101

;) Hiya, im in the middle of looking for someone for my special topic 2 and we have a great teacher.. her best advice was to pick someone really obscure but important.. Enrico Fermi is a great one!!! he invented the atomic bomb and lived in italy under mussolini and had to flee because his wife was jewish!! if he hadnt fled hitler would have more than likely been able to use the atomic bomb in ww2!! i thought u miht like this idea as you suggested ww2... just a though.. (",)

In 1587, over 100 men, women and children journeyed from Britain to Roanoke Island on North Carolina’s coast and established the first English settlement in America. Within three years, they had vanished with scarcely a trace. England’s initial attempt at colonization of the New World was a disaster, and one of America’s most enduing legends was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

I find it a great pity that the History honours paper is set out in the way that it is. It might have changed since the last 2 years, but when I was studying history in school I just knew I wouldn't be able for the honours paper. All the other subjects, perfect (to a certain extent) but this one was tough.

Time limit being the biggest concern. 4 or 5 essays in a very limited amount of time is pathetic. How is one supposed to enjoy the subject with such constraints? Goes for all subjects really. I would have loved to have done the special topic, pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

F Fiesta wrote:
    I find it a great pity that the History honours paper is set out in the way that it is. It might have changed since the last 2 years, but when I was studying history in school I just knew I wouldn't be able for the honours paper. All the other subjects, perfect (to a certain extent) but this one was tough.

Time limit being the biggest concern. 4 or 5 essays in a very limited amount of time is pathetic. How is one supposed to enjoy the subject with such constraints? Goes for all subjects really. I would have loved to have done the special topic, pity.
    That's cos the Leaving Cert is a (speed writing) memory test - nothing more - nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

yea i did the Sack of Balbriggan and got full marks. Was able to get loads of info also because its a local topic......the guy in the library does like to waffle though!

Just came across this thread and thought i'd throw my tuppence in, most likely a bit late though...

I did the exact same topic , and went to the exact same source, Jim in Balbriggan library, to be honest though he's a fantastic source of knowledge on local history.

I've been told by a few sources (a few different history teachers and leaving cert survivors) that they like to see 'local history' topics done, it shows a willingness to dig into a topic (or to listen to a local librarian)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

F Fiesta wrote:

For the leaving '06 it is changing I think its down to 2 or 3 essays written in the exam and you research topic handed in before the exam. I'm happy, there is no way I could write 4 - 5 essays in a couple of hours.

EDIT: It is probably right to do someone obscure yet important, thats what I've settled on. Examiners probably get bored reading the same topics year in year out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TrickyDicky

I did "the Rape of Europa", the cultural devestation left in the wake of WW2, it was pretty hard but it helped get me an A1 :). Btw it was really interesting, covering such topics as the fate of Europes prized art work and famous monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I did the "History of the Irish Army in WW2" real facts and figures stuff, you find a good source of infomation to start with here http://www.military.ie/introduction/history.htm It got me an A2 in 92, happy days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Jees,

Doing it in '92 must have been pretty difficult considering the availability of information to students today?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I did rural electrification of Ireland and and wrote about the conparison between life before and after electricity, as well as people's misconceptions about electrical power. The ESB was a good source of information.

it was the part of the history paper where I got the highest marks.

that was back in 1995 I had to write to them, although you might be able to find most of the stuff on the web nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I did Gheorgy Zhukov and i found at times getting good sources apart from books on stalingrad was a wee bit difficult.

I ended up getting a lot of the stuff from a massive tome about him that was written in the 60's. Library > Interweb btw folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

F Fiesta wrote:
    Jees,

Doing it in '92 must have been pretty difficult considering the availability of information to students today?

dont know how, its the same information but its on the net now, "back in my day" information like that was in books, the net is a glorified book...

Arabel wrote:

EDIT: It is probably right to do someone obscure yet important, thats what I've settled on. Examiners probably get bored reading the same topics year in year out.

Your right....as I said above do it on something strange like

The Lost Colony At Roanoke

Or better still do it on The Melungeons...its a great story

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

try to do it on something your interested in or something that might be useful for you in the future.
    I did mine on the on leon trotskys role in the russian civil war, am still glad i did as he was one of the few decent communists and i'm glad i know about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Decent communists

hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

I did the Battle of Stalingrad, easy to do and a great quote I used to describe the death. "The street was no longer measured in yards but in corpses". By a German Lieutenant. I got 79 out of 80!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, try to get your hands on a copy of Purnells History of the 20th Century, a serial published in the 70's. Luckily, my dad was an avid collecter and I have about 2 dozen large volumes of it. Covers everything in WWII, try your library, its an indespensible series of books for a special study topic. I can't recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Try "Hitlers Irish Voices", a book about the Nazi propaganda station broadcasting to Ireland in Irish during WWII. I got an A1 in LC history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

I plan on doing mine on the 1968 Paris Student Revolt. I have about 6 sources on it, but finding it pretty hard to find some primary ones. Le Monde's archive doesn't go back that far, so I'll have to settle with articles from Time Magazine and the UK Times.

Advertisement