Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to pick a History special topic. Any ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I plan on doing mine on the 1968 Paris Student Revolt. I have about 6 sources on it, but finding it pretty hard to find some primary ones. Le Monde's archive doesn't go back that far, so I'll have to settle with articles from Time Magazine and the UK Times.
    Excellent! There's some great books and web sources about that. I honestly wouldn't delve in deeper than you need to in order to get three or four pages written. I think the key to writing about the 1968 revolt would be to set the general context in which it happened (post-war economic prosperity, consumerism, political and cultural disillusionment, disillusionment with post-Yalta international world-order, ascendency of left-wing critical philosphers) and the fallout from it (general strike and repercussive protests around the industrialised world). Then you could just explain the sequence of events that led to it - Cohn Bendit etc. Interesting that some of its ideologues, the Situationist International, were inspired by the Paris Commune of 1871, and that the motives that underlay the 1968 revolt are being reinterpreted for today's context. So it's a good topic.

If I was 17/18 again, I'd be doing my special topic on this.

You can PM me for books, info etc if you want. What sources have you got so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I plan on doing mine on the 1968 Paris Student Revolt. I have about 6 sources on it, but finding it pretty hard to find some primary ones. Le Monde's archive doesn't go back that far, so I'll have to settle with articles from Time Magazine and the UK Times.

Doesnt the course end in 1966? They're crazy strict about it being inside course parameters! I did mine on Bloody Sunday in 1921. But didnt think it was that great and did one of the essay questions from section e. Ended up with an a1 so I think it paid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

beanyb wrote:
    Doesnt the course end in 1966? They're crazy strict about it being inside course parameters! I did mine on Bloody Sunday in 1921. But didnt think it was that great and did one of the essay questions from section e. Ended up with an a1 so I think it paid off!

Depends what year your in. The new course, which is what 5th years are doing, allows any topic anytime throughout history. There are no more time frames to fit within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chubbenblobb

Cousin it wrote:
    ist aslo important thta youu kan spel corectly in yer test. PHB - try lurnin unglich bee4 poastin :) :rolleyes: :( :mad: :cool:
    u must be thee most amused person in here., loser

Advertisement