Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car v Moped

Options
  • 23-02-2005 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Ive been told that a moped can be bought almost new and insured for 2,500, is this correct?
    How does this compare with buying and insuring a car for 22 year old with no experience of driving either?
    What are the costs of the car?
    Heres what I can think of
    petrol: €45 per week? (I'll use car for to/from work in Dublin and small 'shop' runs!)
    loan payments: €45 per week?
    How much is that annual motor tax fee to government? €300?
    Insurance? How much per year for young driver with second hand car in Dublin?
    I realise that the figures Ive asked for can flutuate a fair bit but I'm curious to see how much more it'd cost than what I do now.
    At present I Spend €80 per month on the LUAS, and about the same in late night taxes (per month).
    How would the €160 I spend now compare with the costs of running a car?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i've worked out my car costs me about 700 a month. thats everything included, petrol, tax, insurance etc. that said i do about 500 miles a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is proberly hereasy but if you have been getting by well without owning a car so far you might as well continue as you are. €160 a month for all your transport needs is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of running a car.

You said yourself you'd spend 40 a week on fuel which sounds like alot if you live and work in Dublin. Add as you note annual motor tax, insurance, maintainance, depreciation, other sundries and you're talking about €100 minimum a week I'd say...and thats assuming a small engine car which is'nt worth too much to start with (so less depreciation).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yep mopeds are cheap but unsafe?
    you wont get any change out of 4500-5000 a year at your age even if u run an older car ie a 97/98 one.
    parking also plays a role and is dear obviously in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I'd be in a similar boat in terms of experience and the cheapest I've managed to get was 2k on a 99 Fiesta Zetec (1.25L). My view is a car is going to cost a hell of a lot, but to put it in perspective, at the moment I'm getting 20 buses a week minimum. I'd rather ride a donkey to work. Jesus I'd rather ride Michelle Smith to work!

It comes down to how much a car is worth to you (time, convince...etc)

Advertisement