Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable housing schemes south of Liffey?

Options
  • 23-02-2005 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I'm single, earnt less than €35000 last year which I beleive qualifies me for one of these schemes (shared ownership I believe?)

Can anyone advise of where to apply as I can't find much out by googling, maybe using the wrong words?

I'm happy to live in commutable distance to south co. dublin. Unfortunately i guess this rules out anywhere west of the M50, as that adds about an hour a day onto normal travel time.

Anyone got any links to schemes I can currently avail of in south dublin city/south county dublin/ wicklow?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/affordable_housing_scheme.html

How the hell do you determine if someone is "in need of housing"? I'm "in need of housing", but I rent, so I assume that disqualifies me. I assume you'd have great difficulty wrangling affordable housing if you're a single man who earned €35,000 last year. You could rent somewhere for less than 35% of your wage. It probably refers to single parents, the handicapped and possibly the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks

fired off an email to the south dublin county council - according to their site anyone earning less than €36000 pa qualifies - however, its not clear if there are places available at the moment or what.

Thanks for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You generally need to live in the area where you are looking for housing or have other strong links (family, work, etc.)

They got back to me already which I was pretty surprised and pleased about

I've lived in south dublin (rathfarnham/rathmines/terenure) all my life, so I'm figuring I could be ok on this....

We'll see how it pans out.... jaysus, I'd be delighted if I can get somewhere... so sick of renting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mrs.Babalady

Check out my thread "Affordable Housing SDCC"
    sorry i don't know how to paste the link to you.
    Hope it helps.

• Advertisement

thanks - read that - I've got the applciation form and everything now so I'm hoping things move from here.

By the way - are your personal circumstances special in anyway? I'm kinda figuring as a single male that I mightn't get much in the way of favouritism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

Anyone who is earning less than the stated amount can apply. Regardless of whether you are single or not - here are some of the criteria which the council use in deciding who gets what and when:

Whether you are surrendering a council house (top points)
    How long you are on the waiting list
    If you have lived or if you work in the immediate area you are looking for
    How many units for sale in a given area - if demand greatly out ways the supply - you could be entered into a draw - if not next on list will be offered a unit.

Dont count your horses too early - it may be a while! At least you are on the way to becoming on the list!!

Advertisement