Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD to radically change next year

Options
  • 23-02-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Next year UCD will be fully semesterised across all faculties according to sources from the college, the semesterisation will also be accompanied by a change in the way postgraduate studies are conducted. Postgrad students will now be regularly assessed on their projects money making potential for the college or their projects overall contribution to their field.

This move is likely to have a negative effect on some of the minority postgraduate subjects such as those studying uncommon subjects such as specific celtic languages or other obscure academic interests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

This move is likely to have a negative effect on some of the minority postgraduate subjects such as those studying uncommon subjects such as specific celtic languages or other obscure academic interests.
    That's terrible.

Ye, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Next year UCD will be fully semesterised across all faculties according to sources from the college
    Don't know much about the postgrad thing but I think the full modularisation is a great idea. It means you don't have summer exams in subjects you haven't seen in months, like I had last year.

I think the main reason many students (most of them arts students) don't like it, is because they aren't able to doss around until easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Postgrad students will now be regularly assessed on their projects' ... overall contribution to their field.

Up with this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I do think semesterisation is good idea. Honestly no one in my course is do anything and there is a lack of motivation amongst the students. Now I 'm the first one to admit I absolutely hate exams and studying :mad: but semesterisation will get people working and I personally feel it will encourage students to work and prevent decrease failure rates.

Out of interest how will semesterisation affect repeat exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

We all leave in a corporate regieme, and Brady is the queen, Brady is the queen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Ugh, horrible horrible idea if its implemented in all faculties..the whole point of arts is being able to do nothing for 7 months then cram for two weeks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Postgrad students will now be regularly assessed on their projects money making potential for the college or their projects overall contribution to their field.

Money grabbing bastards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Exams twice a year :eek: , thats a nightmare. I like the way the first semester is stress and worrie free, theres a much better atmosphere about the place.

Anton17 wrote:
    Exams twice a year :eek: , thats a nightmare. I like the way the first semester is stress and worrie free, theres a much better atmosphere about the place.
    I think it's good as it encourages one to study throughtout the entire year. And my classes change in second semester so I have exams in a subject when I'm finished that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

ha, i'm in final year so I'm ducking this whole fiasco.

In engineering they're implementing it so it won't change a thing, it's a drastic change, so it will take a while to phase it all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

No apparently electronic is merging with computer science, and electrical is merging with mech (and this came from Prof dP so tis probably true!). I cant even imagine it - my department merged with scientists! :D

disclaimer: I'm a nice person, please don't threaten to kill me in any way science people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

blondie83 wrote:
    No apparently electronic is merging with computer science, and electrical is merging with mech (and this came from Prof dP so tis probably true!). I cant even imagine it - my department merged with scientists! :D

disclaimer: I am only kidding, please don't threaten to kill me in any way - I'm a nice person!

Say it ain't so, threats don't scare me, i'll not have my degree sullied by dirty, smelly D&D playin', Unix lovin', long hair warin', Marilyn Manson listenin' 733t speakin' CSers...

Acutally, while the faculty's are being merged, it won't effect anything, all the electronic subjects will be compulsory, so you can't pick n mix your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it will affect the faculty days I gather. What with there being no more faculties n all. I gather Sci Day boys are brain storming a way around it - they've been told in unofficially that they mightened be able to. This will be crap for moral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well i don't know about how people in different faculties would feel, but i think that it'd definitly be a good idea for us arts ppl, particulary for people doing subjects like english and history, what with the massive reading load and "high turnover" in topics...but then again i dont do either of these subjects so i wouldnt kno...

As for languages, I'm doing a foreign language which i started abanissimo (sp) and i defintly think that it would help-jeez not looking forward to re-translating stuff...however verb stuff would be a smidge difficult at the start of the yr in comparison to the end...

defny would encourage me to study a bit more when i av my five hr breaks or that...grr to fridays...

wow realising the screwed factor at the moment...esk better sign off sn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Alana wrote:
    particulary for people doing subjects like english and history, what with the massive reading load and "high turnover" in topics...but then again i dont do either of these subjects so i wouldnt kno...

yea i totally agree.....i'm doing English and History and would absolutely love to have had my first semester exams over and done with. theres stuff i cant even remember doing last september!! (although that has a lot to do with my laziness!)

4 history essays due next week and then one english one during the break.....then can study. yep i think i'll be back this summer!! :(
    ah well.

theCzar wrote:
    Say it ain't so, threats don't scare me, i'll not have my degree sullied by dirty, smelly D&D playin', Unix lovin', long hair warin', Marilyn Manson listenin' 733t speakin' CSers...
    It's funny how true this is... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*sees Syth checking off the traits of the average CS student*

*sees Syth checking off the traits of the average CS student*
    Everything except Marilyn Manson. Honestly. And leet speek. Hackers only use it to insult the script kiddies.

Advertisement