Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g sim cards

Options
  • 24-02-2005 12:51am

does anyone, perhaps anyone who works for vodafone have any idea when they
    are going to release ready to go 3g sim cards?
    its really annoying that they havent, i think it would be a lucrative market for them.
    thanks in advnce for any info, good luck

Comments

Every provider would prefer their customers to be postpaid, hence why there are so many benefits for paying a monthly bill. The operators will always introduce features on postpaid first. Although Meteor seem to be an exception to this rule in many ways.
    RTG 3G SIMs are planned for later this year, should only be a few months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I wish they'd hurry up... I'm dying to give them my money :(

I've got a 3G SIM, but I'm using it in a 2G phone, lol.

But it's not RTG... :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

i was in vodafone today, and one of the lads offered me an under the counter 3G sim card on RTG, but he said i couldn't use it as a 3G sim, but you won't have the signal dropping problem as you do with the GSM sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

i was in vodafone today, and one of the lads offered me an under the counter 3G sim card on RTG, but he said i couldn't use it as a 3G sim, but you won't have the signal dropping problem as you do with the GSM sim.

There's no way you can get a 3G sim card to work on RTG at the moment. When you ring up to do the sim-change, Vodafone would notice straight away that you were trying to apply a 3G sim card to a RTG account and so wouldn't allow you to do the sim change.
    You can get an unassigned 3G sim card, no problem but it'll be no use to you.

RachG wrote:
    There's no way you can get a 3G sim card to work on RTG at the moment. When you ring up to do the sim-change, Vodafone would notice straight away that you were trying to apply a 3G sim card to a RTG account and so wouldn't allow you to do the sim change.
    You can get an unassigned 3G sim card, no problem but it'll be no use to you.

yeah i know that :rolleyes:

what i ment was the guy in vodafone offered me a 3G sim for use in my 6630 instead of my RTG sim, and he said i couldn't use the features of 3G but i would'nt have the signal dropping problem as you do with the GSM sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the problem with the 3g phones is that it looks to connect to the 3g network when it detects it, so the issue is with the phone not the sim. If you had a sim that didnt allow you to use the 3g features surley that would include locking a 3g signal so it woldnt work.

on the 6630 you can switch off the 3G system on firmware above v3.

but anyway, the guy in vodafone offered me a 3G sim card on RTG !!!

he said i can't use the 3G features but i wont have the signal problem !!!

ie searching for 3G because it would be on 3G !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the app mentioned in this thread can allow you to toggle between GSM/WCDMA/Dual Mode on a 6630 with the option removed from Network Settings

• Advertisement

on the 6630 you can switch off the 3G system on firmware above v3.

but anyway, the guy in vodafone offered me a 3G sim card on RTG !!!

he said i can't use the 3G features but i wont have the signal problem !!!

ie searching for 3G because it would be on 3G !!!
    A 3G sim without 3G features is just a SIM... :)

ciaranfo wrote:
    A 3G sim without 3G features is just a SIM... :)

A 3G sim without 3G features is just a SIM...>> without the signal dropping problem :p

Advertisement