Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing & Proofreading Courses

Options
  • 24-02-2005 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello, I'm an aspiring novelist, and I'd like to
    do an editing and proofreading course so that I can do
    some freelance editing and proofreading, and I wonder
    if anyone on this forum has done such a course and what
    they thought of it, and also if anyone has done
    freelance editing/proofreading and how it went for
    them. The course I'm thinking of doing is a
    home-study course through the National College of
    Communications in Dublin. Here is the link:
    http://www.theopencollege.com/publishing/editing.html
    I'm trying to get some feedback on it before I fork
    over €285! Any input on the subject is most
    appreciated.
    All the best...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

If anyone knows anything about this or any other courses in the area I'd appreciate it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lenny2626

Hello, I am trying to get some information on the Freelance Editors & Proofreaders Association of Ireland (FEPAI). I am considering a two-day intensive course in editing and proofreading given by the National Training Authority in association with ITEC (Irish Training & Education Centre). However, I know little about any of these three bodies and am wondering if anyone can help me with this matter. I cannot find much relevant information on them on the internet at all. Each participant of the course is offered free membership with the FEPAI and a guarantee of work after upon having successfully completed a written assignment. The cost for the two days is a rather steep 750 euro! This is perhaps a substantial reason for my hesitation.

I would really appreciate any information on this as I am keen to work as a freelance editor. Is it a feasible option? I have some experience in the field and am educated to MA level.

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fuchsiamundy

I am also looking for feedback on any Proofreading/Editing course undertaken in Ireland. Am considering UK distance learning course at present but would prefer to do something in Ireland. Grateful for any information on any related course and subsequent work availability. Tx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Hello,

I'm an aspiring novelist.

I'd like to do an editing and proofreading course
    so that I can do some freelance work checking peoples' writings.

Has anyone on this forum has done such a course?
    What did you think of it?

Has anyone has done freelance editing/proofreading?
    How did it work out?

I'm considering a home-study course
    through the National College of Communications in Dublin.
    Here is the link: http://www.theopencollege.com/publishing/editing.html
    I want some feedback on it before I fork over €285!

Any input on the subject is appreciated.
    All the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lenny2626

Hello,

I am just adding something in response to what was mentioned above by Matt. I have been trying to get some feedback from various sources on the same matters and received this report courtesy of the local adult education counselor. It is a report on some of these education bodies offering editing, as well as other courses, that was in the Irish Independent and written by the education editor, John Walshe. You, or anyone interested, should have a look.

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/students-warned-over-unregistered-colleges-1488641.html

It has left me re-considering things a little.

Hope this helps...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi,

I came across this distance learning course based in the UK

http://www.train4publishing.co.uk/distance/basproof/

and was wondering if anyone has done this. It's quite expensive so I would like to find out what people think of it before parting with so much money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maxpower0111

Matt Holck wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm an aspiring novelist.

I'd like to do an editing and proofreading course
    so that I can do some freelance work checking peoples' writings.

Has anyone on this forum has done such a course?
    What did you think of it?

Has anyone has done freelance editing/proofreading?
    How did it work out?

I'm considering a home-study course
    through the National College of Communications in Dublin.
    Here is the link: http://www.theopencollege.com/publishing/editing.html
    I want some feedback on it before I fork over €285!

Any input on the subject is appreciated.
    All the best...
    Ha! its like McD's...."i'm loving it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Editors' Choice

Hi, I'm a university lecturer (English and Psychology) and an experienced editor, working with publishing companies in Dublin, London, and New York over the past twenty years. I also have a busy editing web site with a constant need for good freelance editors.

I offer a course in proofreading and copyediting in Dublin and Newbridge, Co. Kildare. There are a few places on the next courses, starting April 24th in Dublin and April 25th in Newbridge. If the numbers justify it, however, I can arrange for second classes to open up at each venue. I also offer courses throughout the year, and I'm sure we can find a time and place to suit everyone (well, nearly everyone!).

The course is offered over three days and costs €198. Every student who successfully completes a written assignment at the end of the course will be added to my list of freelancers.

If you're interested, email me at EditorsChoice@email.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mmeade

Hi

I am trying to email you at EditorsChoice@email.com but your email keeps bouncing back. Do you have another address where you can be contacted?

M Meade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Martom

I have just finished a course in Copyediting and Proofreading with ITEC.I got my diploma in December 2009. It was promised in the course that you would be invited to join the FEPAI once you got your diploma.I had to contact ITEC three times before I got the form to join. I decided to google FEPAI before I joined to see what it was all about. That's when I came across these boards. I saw the link to the article in the Indo from 2008. I was not really surprised that ITEC was one of four 'colleges' which were not real colleges and were not recognised anywhere. The FEPAI seems to be the same because they are all located in Cornelscourt and so is the FEPAI. Coincidence or what!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hi, I'm a university lecturer (English and Psychology) and an experienced editor, working with publishing companies in Dublin, London, and New York over the past twenty years. I also have a busy editing web site with a constant need for good freelance editors.

I offer a course in proofreading and copyediting in Dublin and Newbridge, Co. Kildare. There are a few places on the next courses, starting April 24th in Dublin and April 25th in Newbridge. If the numbers justify it, however, I can arrange for second classes to open up at each venue. I also offer courses throughout the year, and I'm sure we can find a time and place to suit everyone (well, nearly everyone!).

The course is offered over three days and costs €198. Every student who successfully completes a written assignment at the end of the course will be added to my list of freelancers.

If you're interested, email me at EditorsChoice@email.com

Hi,

LATE reply to this post, ha ha!

I'm midway through my proofreading diploma with CMIT.

I would like to get into freelance proofreading/editing with a view to full-time work.
    I currently write learning material for a large pharmaceutical company, however would like to move from industry.

Any advice/comments would be very much appreciated.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canteringh

Late to this thread. Just wondering if anyone out there has any up to date information on proofreading courses worth applying for in Ireland or the UK.

Advertisement