Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stilo gear problems ?!?

Options
  • 24-02-2005 10:32am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive a Stilo 1.2 Active 16 valve, lately ive ahad a couple of minor problems.

The main problem is the gears, they feel creaky or notchy, they are not smooth at all like they used to be, this is only when im changnig 3rd to 2nd to 1st and vice versa, there is a significant whining noise from the engine particularly changing between 2nd and 1st. I dont mean the usual whine you get when changing the lower gears, the reason i mention is is because i can physically feel a rubbing like vibration in the gear box through the gear
    stick, ive only noticed this in the last month or so.

To top all my problems, i reversed into a low wall this morning and scraped the back bumper

Fiat want to roadtest it tomorrow morning, great, more time off work.

what do you think the gear problem may be?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Ok heres another question,

if i phone my garage and report a fault with the gearbox today, my car is still under warranty, and i make an appointment today but they cant look at it until the week after the warranty runs out, will the work be carried out under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Ok heres another question,

if i phone my garage and report a fault with the gearbox today, my car is still under warranty, and i make an appointment today but they cant look at it until the week after the warranty runs out, will the work be carried out under warranty?
    If it's a decent garage that values your custom and values its reputation, then there should be no problem. When you ring up to book in the car be very clear about what the problem is and make it clear that you expect this to be covered by the waranty even if they can't look at the car before the warranty runs out. Also, be a bit pushy to get them to book in the car asap so that the warranty expiration doesn't even become an issue. It would be a good idea to speak to someone senior when ringing (eg service manager) rather than a receptionist.

Don't take any sh1t from them. I don't know what could be wrong with your gearbox but whatever it is i'd say it'll be expensive (gearbox problems usually are and often the box needs to be replaced)

BrianD3

Thanks Brian,

I take it from looking around that your a stilo owner too?
    Im thinking of changing mine, its a red active 3 door model, very cool, but it being a 1.2 its a bit underpowered for me. Ive bought my last two cars from them and theyve always sorted my problems out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I take it from looking around that your a stilo owner too?
    Nope - but I quite like the Stilo and think it's underrated by many people.
    Im thinking of changing mine, its a red active 3 door model, very cool, but it being a 1.2 its a bit underpowered for me.
    Even so, the 1.2 has more power than Golf 1.4, Focus 1.4 or Peugeot 307 1.4. The Stilo is also lighter than all of these with the Golf Mk5 being particularly heavy in comparison. And I think the Stilo now comes in a 1.4 litre with 95 bhp which makes it better still.

Anyhow, I hope you get your gearbox sorted out ok.

BrianD3

Problem solved, some of the bushings in the gearbox where the gear lever enters it were dry. thats why the gears felt rough.

Also told me to ensure i dont go changing from 2nd to 1st that the car isnt designed for this. I dont do it that often but i wont be doing it again, they saud that the gears feel grand after they test drove it and engine noise was normal.

They lubed the gear lever for me :) kinky! but its nice and quiet now thankyouverymuch!

Also they said that if my warranty had ran out, they would still have covered me as they arent too tough on warranty issues, especially if its only within a few months of having expired.

Thankyou Barrable Motors, Fiat Ireland :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement