Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New SuSE install queries

• 24-02-2005 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just installed SuSE 9.2 on my PC and have a few queries about its operation.

I have installed libxine using the binary rpm, but can't find where it is! I've tried the find function, but it doesn't seem to find any executable files - where does the rpm operation put programmes? How do I include in my path? (I ask this question generally about rpms, rather than specifically about libxine).

How do I change the window manager - I'm running gnome; is this the window manager itself, or can I choose another one that runs above gnome (such as afterstep or enlightenment). A previous distro I have used, which ran KDE, allowed me to change the window manager simply with an option in the right-click menu?

When I double click on a hard-drive in the 'Computer' window, rather than getting a Windows Explorer type window, I get a message stating that no program is associated. Which program should I associate? How do I find it and specify it?

The previous distro I mention above also implemented virtual terminals, which were accesible via CTRL-ALT-1/2/3/4 (or something similar to this). X would run on console 1, the others would be like a full-screen terminal, each requiring individual login - is this not implemented in SuSE? Is it possible to install this feature as I used to find it quite useful?

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

RPMs install different parts of their contents in different directories, libraries in /usr/lib, config files in /etc, executables in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin, other resources in /usr/share, logs in /var/log.
    In suse if you click on an rpm you should be presented with the description, changelog and default install locations. You can use rpm -ql packagename to view the filename/path of an installed rpm.

So the binary will be available by default, unless it places itself in /opt, which is the default for some, and in which case you might need to add a link in /usr/bin pointing to the appropriate binary.

You installed libxine. This is just the libraries that make up the xine engine. You also want xine-ui to provide a UI to the libraries. This or a link should then appear in /usr/bin.

Gnome is a window manager. On the login screen (to 9.1 anyways) there is a Menu button. Under that is Session Type, which should let you choose between installed windows managers

In suse/redhat, by default X session is available under CTRL-ALT-F7, terminals from F1 to F6.

Advertisement