Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they worth it?

Options
  • 24-02-2005 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Hello,

recently got a new computer, and for the first time I'd actually have the resources to play an mmorpg, so I was just wondering how much do they cost a month?

I'm thinking specificaly of Star Wars Galaxies, or City of Heroes.

Are they actually worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It really depends on whether you'll like MMORPGs on the whole or not. See if you can get a free trial of WoW off someone. The collector's edition comes with a 10 day trial, but unfortunately the CE isn't actually out in Ireland, so unless you know someone abroad that has it or can find a kind soul online to give it to you.... :(

I have a 30 day trial key for the US City Of Heroes. It'll give you an idea of whether or not you'll like the game. I'll dig up the mail later if you're interested, send me a PM if you are.

They usually cost roughly 15 euros a month (aside from the cost of buying the game/key, to start with - if you end up doing that).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

If you're getting any MMORPG I would recommend you avoid the yearly subscription and go for the first months's trial. Then work it up month by month or at most 3 months at a time.

SWG kept me going for just over a year, but when I had done everything (I messed about the first 8 months) it got boring instantly. Very little extra content added, and what was added was poor. The Space expansion was only for people who bought the upgrade (so decide if you want to buy 2 games at once). There's going to be a combat rebalance soon. But it's only 2 years after they first announced that they'd do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Preperation H is good on the whole.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']If you're getting any MMORPG I would recommend you avoid the yearly subscription and go for the first months's trial. Then work it up month by month or at most 3 months at a time.

SWG kept me going for just over a year, but when I had done everything (I messed about the first 8 months) it got boring instantly. Very little extra content added, and what was added was poor. The Space expansion was only for people who bought the upgrade (so decide if you want to buy 2 games at once). There's going to be a combat rebalance soon. But it's only 2 years after they first announced that they'd do it.

Kinda exactly what I was saying for ages only to have you jump down my throat :)

Oh i'm so tempted to dig up your old posts that you argued with me over this.

To the original poster, ppl say City of heros is good, so it might be worth a try. As for SWG - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE, please! you will be doing yourself a huge favor. Do not play any games made by SOE they are utterly horrible and even more useless.

WoW is the best mmo currently availible IMO, though it could definately use improvement in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

To the original poster, ppl say City of heros is good, so it might be worth a try. As for SWG - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE, please! you will be doing yourself a huge favor. Do not play any games made by SOE they are utterly horrible and even more useless.

Agreed
    WoW is the best mmo currently availible IMO, though it could definately use improvement in many areas.

Play WoW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Alternatively if you like space sim's or a futuristic setting check out EVE.

www.eve-online.com

The client is free to download and you can get a free 14 day trial, just ask someone on this board and they can send you a trial key.
    This being all free, you cant really go wrong.. ohh its the best mmorpg out there imho.
    But if you like the fantasy/medieval setting then yeh I'd go with WOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Vodka_Junkie

Well if its the idea of playing in a group that appeals to ye have you tried runescape? it's unlimited access to half the world for free but you gotta pay if you wanna get to the other half of the place. It's got me addicted several times and did I mension the freeness thing? It's not too graphically amazing however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

actually for a FREE game the runescape graphics are pretty good. especially since they upgraded to that 3d java thingy. Easy to learn. FREE. and a good laugh. the writers of this FREE game have a pretty good sense of humour.

oh, and it's FREE so it's a good way to test out the cesspit that is MMORPG..
    :)

CoH is a good laugh but can get repetitive. The character costume design is great fun (almost makes me want to play dress up with dolls) and the graphics are lovely.

WoW is a beautiful looking game. Good gameplay from my experience so far. well written and plotted. Dont know what the lastability of it's attraction is yet.

SWG. run. run now. dont look at it. dont even think about it. it will know and it will find you. and when it does you shall be bored to tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

cheers! gonna give Runescape a try, and will stay well away from star wars galaxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

i've a character on runescape. middling levels. high miner. pm and i'l send you the details. i've discovered WOW.

OR even if you want me to meetyou ingame and i wll give you all i have. maybe i should keep character for future ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You should try doing the bartle test as it will tell you what kind of MMORPG you would like.

COH is fun but not everyones kettle of fish (if you like PvP, it doesn't have it yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Memnoch wrote:
    Kinda exactly what I was saying for ages only to have you jump down my throat :)

Oh i'm so tempted to dig up your old posts that you argued with me over this.

LOL :) don't even start all that again hehe.

I was arguing the ability to try different things rather than simply grinding. I've added combat here because people will probably want to do that (PVP servers are very popular in WOW). But yeah, it'll get old once you've done everything. Just depends on the person how quickly it gets old. I still got a years worth of good gaming out of it.

Nothing stopping you getting SWG man, or any MMORPG - all i'd advise is to stick to a short subscription to test it - probably even just the initial month's free subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

CoH is a good noobie MMORPG, however it lacks long-term content , or I thought it did, but there's no items or anything, just spells, so you should find it an enjoyable first experience.

That said, WoW is also very good for new MMORPG players, however past level 20, especcially on a PvP svr it does get more difficult, but it is EASILY the best MMO out atm.

Avoid SWG, honestly, it's awful, there's such a painful lack of content and the PvP is awful, worst MMO I've ever played (And I've played legend of mir :p)

Advertisement