Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for Honda Integra, and other sporty types

Options
  • 24-02-2005 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I'm 24, full license, 2 full years as a named driver, no claims.

I'm considering getting a second hand honda Integra (around €6000), just wondering what should I expect to pay for insurance and tax (roughly - say, compared to a 1.6L 1990 Toyota Carina)? Is it through the roof? I'm on a low budget so perhaps I shouldn't even be considering getting an integra? I would be going for a 1.6.

Also, is it true that 2-door Honda Civics (hb or coupe) are in the "sports category" and are thus quite expensive to insure, despite small engine size? I've heard lots of people talking about this but different people say different things. Anyone know for sure?

And if I was to buy something like: http://cars.msn.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=176267
    would the tax or insurance be expensive on account of this car being a 20 Valve GT model?

Thanks for any info, cause I'm quite clueless when it comes to insurance "ball park" figures. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ahhh... the Honda Civic/Integra insurance nightmare.

From lots of insurance experience with this I've owned plenty of Civic's in my time it's not that the Honda's are targetted as such. It's down to a number of factors. Wrt to cars:

1. The first factor that the ins. cos look at is displacement. Bigger engine = more power = more likely for driver to boot it = higher risk (sorry but that's how it works). In the UK they use Group Insurance ratings. Insurance companies know about VTEC, Turbos, NOS, etc all add power to a car and as such will simply assess a VTEC car as a "higher" performance car than the displacement would suggest.

2. The type of car. A family 4-door with a VTEC engine in it is considered less of a risk than a 2-door coupe with the similar engine. The 2dr is considered sporty and such has a loading (more likely to boot it = higher risk).

3. Theft protection. Civics/Integras prior to 1996/7 were so easy to rob that you could get them going with a stick and pin. For the insurance co = risk. More premium (if you can get the cover).

So if your situation,

24 year old male = high risk
    Honda Integra (if that's the car) = high risk
    1.6 DOHC VTEC engine = high risk
    1995 Model (if that's the year) = high risk

Add it all up and you've got Premium = through the roof!! (if you even get quoted)

No for me and my 04 Type R - €1000 for fully comp and commercial insurance. The joys of getting older! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Doh...!!

Oh well. But thanks loads for all the info, at least now I can stop even considering getting one of those things.

At this rate, I suppose even a 2-door Corolla 1.3 VVTI would be considered high-risk?

Am considering going for something like a Civic saloon 1.4L now, without the VTEC engine. And another question - does the VTEC or VVTI engines make much for a significantly more exciting driving experience, or is it just more bhp?

thanks again for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i had a 1.6 4dr integra and insurance was the same as 1.6 2dr integra. Insurance rulez just don't make sense as i was paying more for 1.6 Teg then 2.0 V6 XEDOS 6 with 160BHP engine(which is higher group in UK but looks like is in lower group in Ireland)

had 5 Honda's and they were never cheap on insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

jayok wrote:
    No for me and my 04 Type R - €1000 for fully comp and commercial insurance. The joys of getting older! :)

what is this commercial insurance you speak of?

Am considering going for something like a Civic saloon 1.4L now, without the VTEC engine

You should get a quote for this. The bro-in-law bought one last year for €3k. It was a 97 and had 80k miles on the clock with a full Honda service history. It cost him €1,500 pa to insure (he was 23 then with a full license and 2 years driving time on his Mum's car).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

i looked into insurance on a Subaru Impreza STI Type R .

24, of the female variety, full no claims, full license.
    Worked out at €3200 ..

I asked her to quote me, if i was 25 - it dropped €400 ... wait the year...
    This was with top quote up in Donegal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

DOn't sk how much the insurance on my '99 2 door nissian skyline 3.0 costs >>>

Lenny wrote:
    DOn't sk how much the insurance on my '99 2 door nissian skyline 3.0 costs >>>
    How much Lenny , i'm paying €900 on a new beetle at the moment 1.6.... a whooping 102BHP :( frustration. dont know what came over me buying that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Dagon wrote:
    Doh...!!
    Am considering going for something like a Civic saloon 1.4L now, without the VTEC engine. And another question - does the VTEC or VVTI engines make much for a significantly more exciting driving experience, or is it just more bhp?

VTEC engines are wonderful things. I don't own one because I could never afford the insurance on one. Variable Timing and Electronic Control. Basically it gives you more power as you need it. Honda perfected this. Toyota followed suit with their VVTi engine later on.

VTI is another story altogether. It's a beast of an engine with a whole shedload of bhp (can't think how much at the moment). Very expensive to insure, but they go like the clappers. Think Mark 2 Golf GTI, with better handling.

I have a 1.5lsi civic coupé from '95, and the insurance for me is just under 800euro (27years old, been driving as a named driver for years). It's not vtec or anything, but it's still pretty nippy. My next car will be a 2.2vtec prelude.. but insurance-wise, it'll be a couple of years before I can afford that.. :(

you could also look into getting a 1.5 dual carb ... quick car.. i dont think there's much of a loading on them either... Kev - i know where there's a 2.2 vtec prelude for sale .. ;)

• Advertisement

what is this commercial insurance you speak of?

I use my car for business purposes i.e. travelling from customer site to customer site. As such I've to actually insure the car for this - i.e. commercial insurance. Not the same as a commerical van insurance etc, but its class 2B Commercial Insurance! Whatever that means to an insurance broker?
    VTI is another story altogether. It's a beast of an engine with a whole shedload of bhp (can't think how much at the moment). Very expensive to insure, but they go like the clappers. Think Mark 2 Golf GTI, with better handling

D16B1/2 - 158bhp in the 6th gen 0-60 8-0 secs for a 3dr. Mad, mad, mad fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

VTEC engines are wonderful things.
    My next car will be a 2.2vtec prelude
    I like the Prelude (4th generation especially) but I've been told by a few people who have owned the 2.2 vtec Prelude that the H22 engine isn't very "vteccy" as such and that overall they weren't particularly impressed with the performance. The rev limiter is at something like 7300/7400rpm so it's not very high revving at all compared to the B16 or B18 in an Integra or Civic. With the longer stroke of the 2.2 litre engine I suppose stupidly high revs aren't really practical though.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals, much appreciated!!

So I take it a 1.3L or 1.4L VVTI Corolla would still be a fair few hundred more to insure than the regular model? Does anyone know how much more? Just wondering if it would be worth it... :D

Also, would there be much of a difference in insurance between a 2 door Honda Civic Coupe, and a 4-door saloon (non vtec)?

You really do pay for power at my age!!

But I'm 25 in June, so I think I'll take your advice Alison, and wait until then :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ahh, its company insurance...
    But I could imagine how much the insurance would cost me being on 20 and on a prov, I have clocked 194MPH in this car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 1.4 Corolla whether VVTi or not will cost the same to insure. The VVTi engine while lively is not classed as a high performance engine. The Yaris has a VVTi engine, that's hardly high performance is it?

The Honda VTEC and VTi are on the other hand. Civics are more expensive to insure mainly due to a number of possible reasons:

1. Even a 1.3/1.4 Civic is no slouch and can move.
    2. The early 1990s Civic had terrible security, you may as well have left the doors unlocked.
    3. Because of the above 2 reasons they were popular with thieves and joyriders.
    4. Jap imports came in with all sorts of modifications under the bonnet which were not known by insurance companies until some teenager crashed it into a wall.
    5. The Civic has a bad reputation due to being very popular with boy racers.

By the way my father has just traded a 00 Corolla 1.4 VVTi in for a 03 Civic 1.4 and finds it great.

Also, would there be much of a difference in insurance between a 2 door Honda Civic Coupe, and a 4-door saloon (non vtec)?

Well for a start the Coupes only come in a 1.5 for 5th gen and a 1.6 for a 6th gen. So you've a bigger engine here. But also they are classed as a "Sports Car" and would be loaded as such. Some of the 6th gen coupes are VTEC where are the majority are not - so there could be more insurance loading!! :(

This would be different from a 1.4 (6th gen I assume) saloon which would be classed as a family car and wouldn't suffer the loading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

I think if you call up the insurance company looking for a quote on an integra with your age etc, they'll probably just laugh at you :)

If you have a choice over a non vtec civic I'd go for the dual carb over the injection, like alisonb suggested.

I'm on my third civic at the moment which is a JDM 1.5 vti (130bhp). I'm paying 950 3rd party on it. But get this, if I swap it for a 1.6 vtec an extra 30bhp my insurance *doesn't* change. However, if I get a civic type r, an extra 15bhp ontop of that again they won't even quote me!!! I'm 29, full licenece 10yrs and no claims, 1yrs ncb and 3yrs continuous named driver experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Lenny wrote:
    Ahh, its company insurance...
    But I could imagine how much the insurance would cost me being on 20 and on a prov, I have clocked 194MPH in this car
    In the 3.0 skyline ? (which doesn't exist) :rolleyes:

lol.. hmm i was questioning that mysellf.. .. i know there's a gts . gtr and a 2.0l.. i could be wrong.. i was just doubting my car knowledge being a girl and all.

R31 model is 3 litre 6 cylinder

• Advertisement

oops :D

Lenny wrote:
    R31 model is 3 litre 6 cylinder
    and you got 194 out of it .. sounds good ;) but would hate to get a blow out doing that speed. Ever come up against a Supra (3.0l twin turbo) if so how you get on ?

looks more like a silvia\stanza\sentra hybrid, good for around 200mph ya reckon ?

http://www.r31skylineclub.com/gallery/?display=Cool_R31_stuff%2F7th3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

hey Dagon
    im current driving a honda Interga 1.6 ZX
    Last year i gave the same details as you to quinn direct my insurance was 976euro third party

this year its 564

not to bad considering the year before i got the interga iwas driving a Mirage and the insurance was a wapping 1800 euro and it was only 1.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

From this thread I decided to get a quote on a 00 Golf GTi 185 BHP. €1400 Hibernian wanted with 3 years NCB, full license, 27 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

Look into the integra as it is classed a liftback no a coupe so the insurance is cheaper.
    Also if you are going to buy one go for the 1.6 ZXi over 1.6 ZX.
    The ZXi had fuel injection so more power compared to carburated ZX.
    The 1.6 integra does not come with the DOHC engine that is in the Vti and SiR, it comes with an SOHC engine like the one in the esi civic except none vtec.

528i, yea it looks like the sentra hybird, the car doens't look as much like that pic that one is a bit shabby. its superchiped and a few extras added on to it,
    I don't race randoms, just brings attention to the car getting robbed(live in tallaght)
    also that speed was a once off, if a blow out or I had of hit a grain of sand at that speed the car would proberly have taken off
    I really like the 00/01 golfs model, how many door is it fx?

Hhhmmm.. well, after Joefaces post, now I'm considering getting a few quotes on an Integra 1.6 ZXi just out of interest. Under €1000 is, in my book, very good for someone my age! I really find this quote hard to believe, but I'll check quinn, even though I usually go with Axa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Lenny is blatantly telling porkies there guys. :lol:

• Advertisement

thats the playstation generation for ya ;)

Advertisement