Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Modding?

Options
  • 24-02-2005 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

OK guys where do the Car Modifiers get their gear?

I'm toying with the idea of modifying my fiesta for a laugh, looks pretty lame at the moment so was thinking of jazzing 'er up a little, looking for how to find out about body kits mostly, but alloys & other options are of interest,

sound,
    Bren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

looks pretty lame at the moment so was thinking of jazzing 'er up a little

You will never got that money back - a body kit must cost a couple of grand, why not put that money into upgrading your car? (edited: By upgrade, I mean change cars, not modify the existing one)

If you are still looking for ideas, I suppose you could pick up a copy of "Max Power" magazine in most newsagents...

Here is a site that shows you how NOT to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I have a lovely set of three spoke alloys for a Fiesta - combined with some flashing washer jets and DTM mirrors your car will be the envy of everyone. PM me for details...

Most car modders (the ones in Max Power or Flush Bus) spend incredible amounts of money on their cars and as eoin points out, you won't get the money back when you sell it. On the other hand, there are lots of modded Fiestas so second hand goodies are plentiful. I'd start with an ad in the Wanted section of the Buy and Sell and see what shows up. Keep an eye to the breakers yards too.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

I have a lovely set of three spoke alloys for a Fiesta - combined with some flashing washer jets and DTM mirrors your car will be the envy of everyone. PM me for details...

Please do not put three spoke alloys on your car... or flashing water jets..(makes the car look cheap). Start with the road upwards. I'd say look in the buy and sell and pick up a set of 5 spoke rims (you can't go to wrong with Kahns). nothing too big. 15's should be big enough - you don't want to pull the b%^^&%x out of your fiesta. Then pick up a nice set of sideskirts and front and back splitters.. a set of subtle number plates too. and i mean subtle... East Coast Alloys should be able to sort you out with rims (but look in buy and sell) and number plates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

Hey thanks guys, clearly "for a laugh" doesn't mean I'm gonna spend a shedload of money on the little car, but thats why I'm posting!! sound advice Alison, 3 spoke wheels look a little erm... super sporty (sorry interceptor) but yeah the idea of skits etc. would be cool,

What are splitters? (something like skirts but for the front?)

Also, what kind of issues do you come up against with colour matching etc.

Brenner wrote:
    Hey thanks guys, clearly "for a laugh" doesn't mean I'm gonna spend a shedload of money on the little car, but thats why I'm posting!! sound advice Alison, 3 spoke wheels look a little erm... super sporty (sorry interceptor) but yeah the idea of skits etc. would be cool,

What are splitters? (something like skirts but for the front?)

Also, what kind of issues do you come up against with colour matching etc.

Yeh Brenner splitters are just an addition to the bumper that's already on the car. there's various types you can get - you can get a splitter all in one or two separate splitters that sit on each corner of the bumper. Have a look around.. as for the colour coding. If you have colour coded bumpers kool just get the splitter sprayed up with a local panel beater. If you dont have colour coded bumpers and you're strapped for cash you might get away with leaving them untouched. Also, your splitter doesnt have to be specifically for a fiesta, alot of people use the splitter of a laguna and just cut it down to size. Different strokes for different folks. It all depends on the money!

• Advertisement

AlisonB wrote:
    Also, your splitter doesnt have to be specifically for a fiesta, alot of people use the splitter of a laguna and just cut it down to size. Different strokes for different folks.

This is what I'm talkin' about - thats the "knowledge"!

I'm presuming when you say "have a look around" you just mean in autoparts shops etc. its just seems to me that there is a world of this going on somewhere and I'm green as b'jaysus!

My bumpers aren't colour coded, they're ye olde black rubber-esque stuff, want to get rid of them altogether actually so that the car *is* colour coded...

In your estimations, on the super-cheap, how much should I expect to spend? (taking into account that I'm not serious about this car looking really that brilliant)

nice one,
    B

Also, thanks eoin_s for the info & link, I should have said that I wasn't too serious about spending alot on it... guess its a good starting point to when I can shell out for a car worth really putting together as a good streetcar...

bren

Brenner wrote:

In your estimations, on the super-cheap, how much should I expect to spend? (taking into account that I'm not serious about this car looking really that brilliant)

nice one,
    B

Buy a second hand set of rims for your car.. that's all you need. I reckon you'd pick up a cheap/half decent set for €250. you dont really need all that splitter stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

cruise-irl.com <- loads of err,, like minded individuals who like to blow all their dough on silliness that makes their cars stand out to the cops & look ridiculous to everyone else..

its a fiesta- live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

what year fiesta have you got??

• Advertisement

528i wrote:
    its a fiesta- live with it.

I've never done something like this, so I'm just getting a buzz out of knowing what I can do...

€250 sounds cool enough for a decent set of wheels, its probaly right to stop there, but hey, cars kill cats not curiosity and I'm just curious.

Cheers
    Bren

P.S. Its an auld 1995'er (what MK would make that - old body)

Brenner wrote:
    I've never done something like this, so I'm just getting a buzz out of knowing what I can do...

€250 sounds cool enough for a decent set of wheels, its probaly right to stop there, but hey, cars kill cats not curiosity and I'm just curious.

Cheers
    Bren

P.S. Its an auld 1995'er (what MK would make that - old body)

Think its MK4

Few pics for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

If you can put aside a grand, you can make the car pretty nice.

THREE SPOKES!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Please don't! I'll give you my wheels rather than that.

Wheels, skirts, front and rear bumpers and you'll be alright.

PLEASE DO NOT get things like light up bits, stickers and mirrors - the last thing we need is another one of 'those' fiestas.

Pick up a copy of Flush Bus and give it a read - its only a fiver or thereabouts and might be of intrest to you.

Other than that, stop a guy or girl in a maxed up car. We are all pretty friendly and love to waffle about our cars for hours. (see my various other posts on the subject!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Cheers for the Referral 528 ;)

And it's actually www.cruiseirl.com ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Steve C

How's your Fiesta doing Junior? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i wish i could kill people.. really i do. you're all going on the list

oops, sorry about that junior.. haven't been myself lately, see o'brien kicked me- said I was bad for hits & and the sense of community and morale or something..
    can I be in your gang now smiley_hehehmn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Ahhhh poor likkle 528i feeling all lonely ???

Just go try and piss on someone's parade on IPC.com and see what happens

theres not enough people to get annoyed over there.. and its pointless now since wee barry's calmed down.. what about the mad-maxxers on www.cruiseirl.com, if i said something nasty about neon lights & flip paint skemez , would they go cracked ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

typical bmw driver
    a wanker :rolleyes:

oi, show some respect you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here is a site that shows you how NOT to do it

Ah Barryboys never fails to make me laugh....

sotw210205-1.jpg

Agh! MY eyes......:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

dogz wrote:
    typical bmw driver
    a wanker :rolleyes:

LMFAO!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I am starting to wonder if now is the time to add a Modified Cars sub forum to the Motors forum? The Classics sub forum is working well and there are plenty of people wanting to discuss the How/Where/How Much of car modding that the Motors main forum doesn't always cater for. And then the Motors main forum could concentrate on Audis, BMW's and diesels....

'c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am starting to wonder if now is the time to add a Modified Cars sub forum to the Motors forum?
    I agree.

They could colour it lime green, and include fit-inducing flashing images.
    (Runs best on Tinted Windows 95...)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

I am starting to wonder if now is the time to add a Modified Cars sub forum to the Motors forum? The Classics sub forum is working well and there are plenty of people wanting to discuss the How/Where/How Much of car modding that the Motors main forum doesn't always cater for. And then the Motors main forum could concentrate on Audis, BMW's and diesels....

'c

I'm all for it!
    Somewhere we can talk and not get flamed or trolled gets Gav's thumbs up! :)

:cool:

I agree.

They could colour it lime green, and include fit-inducing flashing images.
    (Runs best on Tinted Windows 95...)

:D
    Atheist, what do you drive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

AlienGav,

Were you in Howth over the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

As well as cruiseirl, racershaven.com is a great resource too.

Advertisement