Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Modding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

NO no dont weigh your car down with splitters and subs like the max power mob.Alloys yes always look good.What i would suggest is harder springs lower if u like, a strut tower brace front and rear(search ebay).This will get rid of body roll corners.Next a nice exhaust not a cheap weld on boy racer job a nice stainless job that is only noisy when u booting it.My rule is if it dosnt make the car handle better or go faster dont bother.
    Lastly and this is my favorite go to the scrap yard and see if u can get up spec bits like sports seats from a 1.6 fiesta or interior bits from a sportier model.Have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Well said. In ireland(well down south at least) modding seems to be just adding on silly bits. Eveywhere else it's chipping the engine, playing with springs, turbos etc. It's strange that people pay lots of money just to change the look of some very basic motors ????

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

There is an concept called 'sprung weight' essentially the mass of what is hanging off the suspension. The lower this is the better the acceleration.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel13.shtml

empicerally about sprung = 1.7 x unsprung e.g. if you add 10Kgs to a corner (wider tyres+ nasty alloys) 10x4x1.7=68Kgs, like carrying the average passanger about all the time.

wonder how true this is?...

mcguiver wrote:
    Well said. In ireland(well down south at least) modding seems to be just adding on silly bits. Eveywhere else it's chipping the engine, playing with springs, turbos etc. It's strange that people pay lots of money just to change the look of some very basic motors ????
    There will always be people who like to mess with cars.The Max Power thing will come and go.There are loads of well modded cars in Ireland.

HE HE if like me u are lazy just by a modded car off the boat from japan.I got my Integra Type R with 3k+ worth of goddies on it.Car dealers dont have a clue how much mods are worth hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Unless declared to your insurance company, those "3k+ worth of goddies [sic]" could render your cover null & void, which unfortunately given the nature of these things won't arise until the day you need it most.

ps. rather than a proposed mad max 'special' sub section, how about a designated vip area for bmw [and other distinguished marque's] instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

528i wrote:
    rather than a proposed mad max 'special' sub section, how about a designated vip area for bmw [and other distinguished marque's] instead ?
    Well like my Uncle Peter says, 'A BMW is a poor mans Merc' and in my book it doesn't start to get distinguished unless it cost over €250,000 so you wouldn't be allowed into it. Oh where is MotorNet when you need it to suck back its bottom-feeders......

'c

I don't think there's sufficient demand yet for a €250k sub-section on motors.. yet, so maybe 'your book' and 'your uncle peter' should go and have a lie down for themselves..smiley_hehehmn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

i think ill stick with cruiseirl and racershaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭twin cam girl

R.S turbo kit all the way try the demon tweeks catalog....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

R.S turbo kit all the way try the demon tweeks catalog....
    Hey, Twin cam - we missed you here on Boards.My-diesel-sauerkrautwagen-is-better-than-your-diesel-sauerkrautwagen.ie

Demon tweeks have a good online catalog but there are BILLIONS of places in the UK doing stuff on the 'net and lots up North too (Check out PerformanceAlloys.com - tell Michael I sent ya)

Ebay also have tons of stuff - I have bought exhausts, throttle bodies, dashboards and accessories with no difficulties there - take a look.

'c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

AlisonB wrote:
    Atheist, what do you drive..
    Heh.

A 33yr old Fiat Spider. Modding's definitely not my thang... ;)

My car looks completly standard had to dig to find the mods(Mugen twin loop ,R-spec RSM,Spoon manifold,1k+ ice. I mentioned the mods to my insurance and they said as long as it isn't turbo charged its ok.Im covered :)

BMW is a mass market brand. They were 10th in the UK last year .The 1 series is just greed.Same rules apply for X5 and X3.Now they make some nice cars M3,M5,M6, 535d but they are not seen as distinguished brand anymore.528 boy is up his own ass like most BWM owners. He has an overpriced barge and seems to want to tell anyone who will listen lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

I dunno I wouldn't call an M5 an over priced barge ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JB123 wrote:
    528 boy is up his own ass like most BWM owners. He has an overpriced barge and seems to want to tell anyone who will listen lol.

Whatever the merits of BMW owners 528i is NOT up his own ass, you however are.

No abuse of fellow boards users. Or its a ban.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Orla1

Wateva u do to the car just make sure it stays on the car!!! A guy I kno put neon's n some other acc's on his car and caused a huge accident when the neon's fell off while driving!!! lol... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

528i wrote:
    ps. rather than a proposed mad max 'special' sub section, how about a designated vip area for bmw [and other distinguished marque's] instead ?

Oooh yeah - like Maybach buyers. Or Porsche Cayenne owners. or other marketing victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

About BMW
    JB123 wrote:
    Now they make some nice cars M3,M5,M6
    JB123 wrote:
    528 boy is up his own ass like most BWM [sic] owners. He has an overpriced barge and seems to want to tell anyone who will listen lol.

You haven't the faintest now, have you :rolleyes:

Your homework for today: try and find out using your interweb search skills what motor the dude you are insulting is currently driving. You'll find it is you that is the boy...

unkel wrote:
    About BMW

You haven't the faintest now, have you :rolleyes:

Your homework for today: try and find out using your interweb search skills what motor the dude you are insulting is currently driving. You'll find it is you that is the boy...
    Oh dear another punto driver gets upset

easily mistaken for a 7-series :D you should show alittle more respect towards your motoring superiors young man ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe we should have a boards track day and sort the men out from the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

don't forget the girls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Count me in. Now then, Impreza or MX5...mmm... :D

so, who's going to take it upon themselves to arrange this ?

Don't have time whatsoever, but provided it's arranged at a week-end... and the Tallaght VRO eventually decide to give me a reg (it's only been 6 weeks now :( ) for the Maz' sometimes this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

AlisonB wrote:
    so, who's going to take it upon themselves to arrange this ?

Are you guys serious?? :) A boards track day would be deadly! :D I doubt it would ever happen tho :mad:

Feck it - sure a bit of crack and in fairness.. i think the lap times for everyone would be the start of a great thread. :D plenty of slagging... no doubt there would be a few spins aswell ;) ... Only other alternative something simple like a grand prix in Kart city. (It's affordable - and those who don't have wheels can join in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

AlisonB wrote:
    Only other alternative something simple like a grand prix in Kart city. (It's affordable - and those who don't have wheels can join in).

HAHA! BRILLIANT TED ! :D

This gets my approval! :)

:cool:

Karting as a (IMHO very) viable alternative to a Boards.ir motor forum showdown - why is always the fair sex that comes up with such gems? You made us look bad, there AlisonB (though perhaps that merely echoes what your sig' pre-supposes ;):D ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Well there is a Mondello Trackday on Paddy's day - only for the fact I've to officate at a wedding the day before I'd be there in the Bananana ...

Advertisement