Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear lights on Euro spec jeeps.

Options
  • 24-02-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know why European spec jeeps have the rear lights down in the bumper?
    My 97 Toyota 'cruiser has the rear lights in the bumper and the lights on the vehicle body themselves are only used for Fog and rev lights.
    The jap import models have the body mounted lights working as normal.
    anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I don't know but I find it annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Dont know why that is, but you van easily get the others working as normal if you wanted too.
    My neighbour wired up the body lights on his on a `99 model. And he set up my uncles `98 yoke aswell. They look well, when there done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i prefer lights on the car, makes sense as i can see many builders towing trailers with no lights and you have no hope to see them on the bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IIRC the important (tail, stop, indicator) lights are put in the bumper so that they are visible if the jeep is parked with the tailgate open. If the light clusters were at the side they might be obscured by the spare wheel. This regulation does not exist in all markets hence the reason why you see jeeps fitted with "dummy" light clusters in the wings. It would be impractical to have a different wing design for different markets, it's a lot easier to just stick some extra lights in the bumper and leave the original clusters in the wings as dummies (or just utilise them for reversing/fog lights)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I see where it may be an issue regarding the parked with door open but surely the lights are more visible up high?
    Ratchet you are right when you say that most builders tow trailers that make the lights invisible.
    Rander00 I was actually thinking of doing just that , trouble is the indicators will be red not orange.
    I would then have to source a pair of red/white/amber rear lenses -probably not cheap.
    Unless I just use the lights and not the indicators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The original Disco came with both, in the bumper and on the wings, well, some models did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If they are pulling trailers are they not obliged by law to have lights on the trailer? So it wouldn't matter if the lights on the back of the vehicle could be seen or not.

Advertisement