Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

o1 VW Golf 1.4S

Options
  • 24-02-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

hey there,

just wondering if somebody could advise me on buying a vw golf 1.4s in Ireland. I'm thinking of buying it in the UK, i have a deposit on one. full VW dealer warranty, service history.

alloys, electric sunroof, cd changer, 3dr, silver, 40k on clock.

What would be an approximate main dealer price in Ireland? It's 4 years old exactly. 2001 reg(March).

Any ideas, or any tips, faults, please advise,

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TheLedge wrote:
    What would be an approximate main dealer price in Ireland?

About €11k - €12k. Very expensive for a 4 year old car if you compare it with a brand new Octavia (same car) which is about €17k new for a cash buyer without p/ex

Don't forget the VRT either due on bringing in the UK reg car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy a spare pair of underpants too for overtaking in that 1.4 Golf as they only have 75bhp. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote:
    Buy a spare pair of underpants too for overtaking in that 1.4 Golf as they only have 75bhp. :eek:

absolutely - they are about as fast as a speeding glacier. If insurance, tax etc isn't an option, you may want to consider something a tad nippier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Yup 1.4 Petrol is definatley VW's worst engine
    The Golf is just too heavy for 1.4 nad 75bhp
    The 1.6 in this Golf makes all the difference

By the way, is the Golf to be used over here - i.e. will you have to go through the registration process etc?

If so, this seems like quite a lot of trouble and expense for a car that should be very easy to source in Ireland?

• Advertisement

egan007 wrote:

Eh? What do you base that on? The engine is fine. Granted it makes the Golf a tad slow and not recommended if you like your overtaking on national roads. Grant for all other purposes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

well, i'm paying 9400E for it, and i know i can sell it easy back home in a year. the tax and insurance are cheap enough, and a 1.6 is a fair bit more expensive.. i've been driving a 1.6 focus but i'd be happy with the 1.4 being honest.

thanks for the replies all the same.

by the way i live in manchester at the moment!!

by the way i live in manchester at the moment!!

Ah, that makes sense. I have friends over in the UK who said that for some reason Golfs do sell for a lot of money over in the UK, compared to the prices over here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

unkel wrote:
    Eh? What do you base that on? The engine is fine. Granted it makes the Golf a tad slow and not recommended if you like your overtaking on national roads.

Er...you answered your own question

Q- What do you base that on?
    A- it makes the Golf a tad slow and not recommended if you like your overtaking on national roads.

I never said it's unreliable - aucontraire it's very reliable, VW could of pushed this engine to 80+ bhp - but they did not - hence the reliability.
    unkel wrote:
    Grant for all other purposes?
    What other purpose apart from driving?

egan007 wrote:
    egan007 wrote:
    it's very reliable?

Car is fine, engine is fine, the combination is fine...
    egan007 wrote:
    What other purpose apart from driving?

...as long as you either don't do a lot of driving on national roads (non motorway) or you don't mind sitting behind a train of 5 cars for a few miles @80 km/h. Would suit a lot of people just fine, wouldn't it?

Hasten to admit it would not suit me ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement