Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daewoo opinions

Options
  • 24-02-2005 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭

I'm looking for a decent first car within a certain budget. What are peoples opinions/experences with the Daewoo Lanos, I can see a few that seem to be a really good deal (1.4L 2000 for 4000 Euro). My brother says as a rule they're not well built cars, just wanted a second opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you just want a to b transport then they are ok but do not expect much more. Build quality can be ok, handling and ride is terrrible. They are very light on the road and the interiors are flimsy. Also they are not very desirable so expect to drive it into the ground as most garages will not take it off you as a trade-in.

For €4k you could get yourself a much better car, e.g a Fiesta or Polo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

second opinion? they're fcuken ugly too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The cluch goes on them too at around 55-60k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

The cluch goes on them too at around 55-60k

Yep certainly does, never buy new , used can be a good buy if well maintained (unlikely considering used values etc) assuming new clutch, timing belt etc and cheap go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

A Ford Ka might be a better choice. I like the design although some say they look like a teapot.

Here's one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ahh, the Ka is a total chick car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think the ka is one of the ugliest cars ever. The rear wheels are too far back, it looks like they could flip out from under the car at any time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a hired ka for 24 hours shortly after they came out and I treated it like absolute dirt. Took all the abuse I could offer it and performed really well! Still I wouldn't ever consider buying one as Id be scared my willy would fall off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Father has a 2000 Lanos, which he bought with the express intention of running it into the ground. He does about 12000 pa and it takes 1 service per year (should be 2 oil changes but I've given up trying to argue that), which generally costs around €150/180.

I hate it with a passion - its tinny, light, cramped, etc. - but he finds it grand, never let him down, reasonable on fuel, gets Radio 1, cheap to tax and insure. In that context, its difficult to argue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

try get a cheap 1.4 Corolla. Is 4k your max budget???? Are you buying on finance or cash????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Don't Daewoo use Vauxhall parts under the hood ?
    You can read what other owners say about their Lanos here:
    http://www.carsurvey.org/modelyear_Daewoo_Lanos_2000.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Crap and hideous cars and aren't they called Chevrolet or something now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    performed really well! Still I wouldn't ever consider buying one as Id be scared my willy would fall off!

LOL it's as girly a car as you can get, but still based on the well balanced Fiesta! I'd second bazz26, get a '99 Fiesta or a '98 micra for your money. Both would be very easy to resell at any time
    Willem D wrote:
    aren't they called Chevrolet or something now.

They are. Imagine owning a '05 Chevy Matiz ;)

Advertisement