Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orca safari

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Dunno about orca safari's, I'd like to do one but Lofoten has world class rock climbing and is far enough north to get 24 hours of sunlight.

However I would like to go see the whales, let us know what you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I have seen a TV program documenting this trip. I have no idea if its the same group as your thinking about going to. (Don't ask me the name of the program or the channel, sorry!)

I remember the accounts of the divers that were in the water, they were TERRIFIED of the Orca's for about 3/5minutes and then they realised that if the Orca's were hungry then the divers wouldn't be able to do much about it. But the point is that the dive boat waits till the orca's are finished feeding to drop the divers.

Anyway, the divers were well impressed. The underwater footage was really very good, showed the Orca's zoooming in and around the divers. Like the orca's were taking the piss out of them for being so slow and cumbersome in the water, show off's they were. There was a pod of Orca's, maybe 10 strong.

The divers onboard for that program all had a great time and reccomended it to others.

If you do a google you might pull something back, sorry i could be of more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paddywhack

I have seen some similar programs and hence the wish to go on the trip. The clearness of the water is fantastic, and the blue-ness was unbelievable.

Unfortunately the money situation means this might be a trip for next year :(

Nice that they wait for the Orca to finish feeding!!!!, how do they know they are all finished. I mean I was always late for dinner, what about that lazy Orca who comes along late. Oohh dinners all gone, but whats this???!!!!!, big, slow moving, dinner, perfect for a lazy Orca like me.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Dunno about orca safari's, I'd like to do one but Lofoten has world class rock climbing and is far enough north to get 24 hours of sunlight.

However I would like to go see the whales, let us know what you decide.

They also have legal base jumping in south Norway, Lysefjord.
    See this site for footage
    http://www.objectjump.com/videos.html

(Way off the thread, and the forum itself by hey what can you do :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

paddywhack wrote:
    Unfortunately the money situation means this might be a trip for next year :(

Well you are to late now anyway, the season are from November to the end of January, it is possible now and later also but it would not be great to travel home and have not seen one.
    paddywhack wrote:
    Nice that they wait for the Orca to finish feeding!!!!, how do they know they are all finished. I mean I was always late for dinner, what about that lazy Orca who comes along late. Oohh dinners all gone, but whats this???!!!!!, big, slow moving, dinner, perfect for a lazy Orca like me.

You should only dive when they have eaten, then they are playful and curious :)

http://www.tysfjord-turistsenter.no/safari/english/
    http://www.tysfjord-turistsenter.no/safari/english/Guidelines/guidelines.html

and leave ur kayak home :eek:
    http://www.staven.no/regis_fait_du_kayak1.mpeg

In november there will be possible to join a local club that arrange a safari from thursday to sunday every year. The price will be around 1/3 of what the "tourist" places take. I will come back with more info later so we can have a board Orca trip :) we will also get some dives done (bottle and weightbelt will be arranged).

Jan

• Advertisement

Yes that looks and sounds fantastic. November?!?!?!? The piggy bank will be getting a dusting off and see how quick I can fill him up. So I will know if it is possible to go in November nearer to the time. I might have to sell the company car, although they got a bit put out last time :)

The links don't do diving and seem to advise against fins, is there a reason for this?

Thanks for the info and I look forward to hearing more. Would there be others interested in such a trip for a long weekend? Where do we get the excited Japanese guy to shout from the boat??? (See kayak video)

Have you done one of these trips yourself Jan? Tells us more.

Advertisement