Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If the pope dies??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

A Pope with a tracheotomy? Talk about being holier than thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Why all this Pope Dougal nonsense?! Pope Hackett would be far more supreme! All hail!
    In fairness now, think Pope Ted Crilly is what we want... A pope that isn't seriously thick, isn't a major alco, and is sexually frustrated. "Pope Ted's thoughts - If I could Marry xyz I could make love to her, I don't have to marry her for this... consults vatican lawyers - priests get to marry!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The dithering old fool should resign and be put out to pasture. I reckon he'll be dead within 2 years anyways.

And on the question of a day off, we wouldn't get a day off if the Dalai Lama died in the morning. Why would the Pope be any different?

He's a stupid git, anyways, the Pope.

As a pontiff, and me as a Catholic - I've always found he has enchanced my sex life...all g/fs i've ever had were sinfull - (not married -all catholic or c of e) - much more errotic than married to them sinless - ooaarhhh! Just hope he has enhanced gay relationships just as much!:D

...and me as a Catholic - I was tempted to stub out a camel on my forehead on ash-wednesday but came to conclusion - I only want a secular woman- of any religion! Religion sux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

embee wrote:
    The dithering old fool should resign and be put out to pasture. I reckon he'll be dead within 2 years anyways.

And on the question of a day off, we wouldn't get a day off if the Dalai Lama died in the morning. Why would the Pope be any different?

He's a stupid git, anyways, the Pope.

You're quite clearly an idiot, so I'm probably wasting my time here. The reason the death of the Pope is different to the death of the Dalai Lama, is because the majority of people in this country are Catholics. As I said earlier in this thread, the Catholic Church and the Pope are easy targets for piss-taking. For some bizzare reason, it's completely acceptable to criticize Catholicism, but not any other religion (many of which are far more strict and oppressive).

If we can have a 'National Day of Mourning' for the deaths of a few thousand Americans, surely Catholics should be allowed to similarly mourn the death of their spiritual leader.

Ray777 wrote:
    You're quite clearly an idiot, so I'm probably wasting my time here. The reason the death of the Pope is different to the death of the Dalai Lama, is because the majority of people in this country are Catholics. As I said earlier in this thread, the Catholic Church and the Pope are easy targets for piss-taking. For some bizzare reason, it's completely acceptable to criticize Catholicism, but not any other religion (many of which are far more strict and oppressive).

If we can have a 'National Day of Mourning' for the deaths of a few thousand Americans, surely Catholics should be allowed to similarly mourn the death of their spiritual leader.

Oh, come now. Didn't Jesus say somewhere in the Bible "Love one another as I have loved you?"

The majority of people in Ireland are Catholics, yes. We aren't all, though. Personally speaking, I don't give a damn if he dies tomorrow or in two years time. He's a figurehead of an institution thats long since passed its sell by date. I won't shed a tear when he dies. I won't even care. In actual fact, Yasser Arafat dying a few months back affected me moreso than the Popes death will. That doesn't make me an idiot at all. The Popes death isn't going to change the face of international relations and bring peace and/or war to the planet. He'll die, everyone who cares will be sad, then they'll just elect a new Pope. I think the Pope should resign. He won't though, but then... I don't care.

Catholicism is widely criticised and ridiculed in Ireland because of the churches pretty chequered history with Irelands citizens. The Church has done itself no favours in that regard, and I personally am pretty sickened by the Church over some of the more unsavoury things that have happened on this island in the name of religion.

The deaths of a "few thousand" Americans on September 11th genuinely upset me. The death of over 100,00 people dying last Christmas when the tsunami struck upset me. The death of an elderly man who does nothing particularly significant or doesnt change the world in anyway (and yet is heaped with praise and admiration) won't. No doubt I'll go to Hell for saying all this.

Its just as well I don't believe in Hell, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

embee wrote:
    The death of an elderly man who does nothing particularly significant or doesnt change the world in anyway (and yet is heaped with praise and admiration) won't.

I wouldnt say he "doesnt change the world", as the head for the worlds largest organised religion, his words do count for a lot of people. He might not change the world for you or others that are not practicising catholics, but still it affects a lot of people who do stick with the religion or are still loosely aligned to its beliefs. One look at our little country and its stated views on certain ethical and moral topics, such as abortion, divorce etc, shows that the Roman catholic ethos and psyche is still ingrained in our society, and will be for a few more decades to come, as we move steadily more secular.
    embee wrote:
    No doubt I'll go to Hell for saying all this.

Its just as well I don't believe in Hell, isn't it?

One handcart on its way to Ardee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

bada_bing wrote:
    oh for the love of god!! i can't understand what the big fuss is about the pope and his impending demise! for christ's sake he's just a figurehead, a puppet, an elected offical representative just like Mary McAleese is for Ireland and no-one gives a toss about her at all. in my opinion he's no more special than any other old crank out there.
    2 words: Papal infallibility

The pope is more like a dictator than our president. He does hold supreme power in the church

Personally, I have been wishing for a very long time that the current pope were to go as soon as possible. He's far too old to hold the kind of power that the head of the catholic church has. I don't want him to die, just to be replaced. Unfortunatly, the position of pope is for life, so he's only getting out of their by death (afaik)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mightymoose

if (when) he does die i would say the world will mourn for 2-5 days and then wait for a while before getting a new pope. he is a great guy though and i would hate to see him go x_x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Just because dictators have been known to abuse power does not mean that abuse of power is inherently a part of a dictatorship. Boards is a dictatorship, but it's a benevolent one. The point I was making is that the pope is not just a figurehead, he holds the supreme power within the church.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you're right about the last infallible statemnt being in 1950. I was using papal infallibility as an example that the pope is more than a figurehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ACTUALLY, I think we all here should get a petition,......... AZEZIL FOR POPE!:D
    Do i get to touch alter boys?

Don't i do that now anyway?

Does my bum look big in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

I personally feel that the current Pope is extremely out of touch with the modern world, on issues especially like homosexuality.

I wish him well, but if he lives he should abdicate. His successor ought to be someone with more liberal views.

While personally I consider myself a secularist and possibly an atheist, I recognise that bigots often use religion to justify their position i.e. homophobia, so the sooner a more liberal persons comes to that office the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Embee, Arafat was a complete scumbag. I've never heard of the Pope kidnapping and murdering 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic games (Munich 1972). Then in 1973, he ordered his operatives in the Khartoum, Sudan office of Fatah to abduct and murder US Ambassador Cleo Noel and two other diplomats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

azezil wrote:

1- Most popes throughout history have unquestionable homo-erotic leanings, so I dont see why not ;)

2- Probably.

3- Again, probably! :p

/me runs hides and giggles insanely.

azezil wrote:

1. Yes, but you also have to touch alter girls up in the same way (just consider this meditation on crucifiction - and yer away ;) ).

2. Yes but you're thinking of "altered" boys methinks :rolleyes:

3. Yes, but if you were a woman - honestly not big enough tbh!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If the pope dies, will he come back in Pope 2?

As regards Arafat, yeah, he was a scumbag. Yeah, he was a terrorist. But I still understand the plight of Palestinian people. And I felt that, at the time he died, it could so easily have knocked the Israel/Palestine conflict back decades, so I was more affected by his death than I would be the death of a benign, cute old bloke at the helm of what is (in my opinion) a pointless institution.

Irrespective, I don't think a national day of mourning is necessary whenever to Pope does die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well you lot better this pope lasts as long as possible, we only have two two left after tis one before the rapture and the end of the world and all the bad things that are supposed to happen.

well thats according to some priest called malachy anyways

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

The Pope Ted Crilly is a good idea- if Dermot Morgan wasn't dead! RIP

No one else could be FATHER TED. If he was still alive he would be a great Pope. He could kick Bishop Brennan up the arse anytime he wanted!

If we had a pope Hackett pubs would be open 24/7- great!

Nah Pope Dougal Maguire sounds good to me! An Irish football shirt wearin pope.........cool! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Is there any bookies taking bets on how many days left he has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Healio wrote:
    POPE IDOL

lord have mercy on my soul

This what you had in mind?

http://members.boards.ie/drdre/pope.jpg

*one way ticket to hell please :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

*one way ticket to hell please :(

Last one there is a rotten egg !!!

it will be a surprise if he lasts to the end of the year though,

of course they have been saying that since time immamorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

I wish the Pope well in his recovery although sadly his underlying problem of Parkinson's disease is likely going to kill him.

However, regardless of whether he lives or dies, I call on him to abdicate. He holds views on social and moral issues - especially sexual issues - that I personally find utterly unacceptable.

While I am personally bordering on atheism at the moment - and DEEPLY sceptical about the factual basis of religion - and organised religion in general - which I see as having caused centuries of war, persecutions and divisions, - as well as teaching that fun=bad and that no fun=good, I do recognise that religion does influence social attitudes to gays and women in some countries to some extent, especially the former. Hence, I hope that the Pope is replaced by a liberal.

Sadly, his stacking of the college of cardinals ensures this will likely have no hope in hell (no pun intended :p ) of happening.

..as well as teaching that fun=bad and that no fun=good, I do recognise that religion does influence social attitudes to gays and women in some countries to some extent, especially the former. Hence, I hope that the Pope is replaced by a liberal.

Sadly, his stacking of the college of cardinals ensures this will likely have no hope in hell (no pun intended :p ) of happening.

I do agree with the pope on the principal of the sanctity of marriage; makes sense ; howeverl; - the idea that every couple will be buried in the same grave is delusional if not fascist!

I've no wish for his death - just abdication. Jesus H Christ pope John 23rd was the pope that probably inspired bono the most! We need another one of them please.

Even if he's Italian - but is cool - is cool...

Really would like to see Catholic church redefine itself - 75 pope should have greener pastrure- I'd imagine there are several hundred private companies where the ceo is 84, that said I'd imagine publicly listed companies where the ceo is 84 is zero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I heard Frankie Munez is in the running to be the next Pope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

In requiem i did infact get a day off for the pope..

let him rest in peace in heaven..

Advertisement