Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL News : City players speak out

• 24-02-2005 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like there is alot of disharmony within Cork City FC at the moment
    24/02/2005 - 9:49:57 AM

Cork City’s players are in a major standoff with the club’s board over the standard of training facilities.

City’s players are unhappy with the standard of facilities at the club’s rented accommodation at Deerpark school in Cork, where the club is forced to train on a GAA pitch, and the players have voiced their concerns to management.

Striker John O’Flynn, speaking on behalf of the squad, said: “We wanted proper facilities, proper equipment, and it has not materialised. The problems are easily rectified. Stuff like the standard of the pitch, the balls and equipment are not up to scratch.”

The players have told manager Pat Dolan and club chairman Brian Lennox of the problems and the club has insisted it will do everything in its power to improve matters.
    breakingnews.ie

"last saturday i was never so embarrassed to be a city player"

"those dressing rooms havent been touched since city stopped playing there"

" as for trainig kits,we got 2 sets of gear since we came back,but we are training twice a day"

"last year we had six sets of everything"

"the club have said they want 3-2-1 in terms of placings...but they we are ttreated we'd be lucky if it goes 2-3-4- or 5,because thats the way its going

George O Callaghan in todays Evening Echo.

Stephen O Flynn and Joe Gamble both had little moans in the Star and Sun respectively today.

Dolan is staying very quiet, but there is no doubting who put the players up to this. He doesnt like the chairman, simply because Lennox wont release the type of funds Dolan wants. (Dolan seems to reckon CCFC can be as big as Man Utd. idiot).

Lennox rebutted in todays Echo with the folowing

"i cant really understand the players attitudes when we have rochestown pk,stiofan niofa,deerpark,mardyke and venues like garryduff,the farm and bishopstown at our disposal"

"we even have a specailist coach in working with centre-forwards"

if you ask me the players dont know how lucky they are to be making a decent living out of football, i wish they would just get on with the job in hand and try to win some silverware this season"

"everything they say about the club i take personally and i wish they would do what they do best,let their feet do the talking"

Interesting times ahead :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

me ponders should I put a bet on Shelbourne to win league with 5 or more game left :confused: ............not good news for the league .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gimmick Dolan wouldnt be far wrong with his idea of how big Cork could be, like eveyone outside of Cork hates you, you hate them. Its a big town and given something to cheer about 9league title and CL qualifiers) 11k a week wouldnt be good enough and a bigger stadium would be needed.

But with an attitude like that from the board i dont blame the players they have every right to demand better quality in training.
    if you ask me the players dont know how lucky they are to be making a decent living out of football, i wish they would just get on with the job in hand and try to win some silverware this season

FFS if they making a decent living they should be using the best facilities available.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Cork could be, like eveyone outside of Cork hates you, you hate them.

I don't hate Cork , I love to see Munster sides doing well .

Big Ears wrote:
    I don't hate Cork , I love to see Munster sides doing well .

^ Shels fan ie tree hugging feel the love hippy :D

Its the mentality, trust me go to Cork with Shels as an away fan and you will know exactly why everyone hates them and they hate us. Most of Cork view themselves as the captial etc hate Dublin and stuff. Dolan knows that can be used IF they have a successful team.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Most of Cork view themselves as the captial etc hate Dublin and stuff.

Oh I no that alright .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

KDJAC. Lennoxs comments are in response to some very snide comments made by players about him, and purse strings. Whats these fools dont rememeber is their careers were going nowhere until he came to save them.

Dolan on the other hand, is a sly underhanded individual who is trying to undermine his chairman at every oppurtunity. There will, however, be only one winner, and thats Lennox, as everytime a Cork man in Cork will have the majority of support over an outsider like Dolan.

Another thing that people are forgetting is that a little under 3 years ago Lennox bailed City out. City were on a fast track to oblivion. Lennox stepped in, cleared the debts with his own money. Now he is trying to recoup some money before making a major investment in professional training facilities and/or buy new players.

Dolan can go, and go now, before he destroys our Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As a Corkman once said:
    Fail to prepare. Prepare to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

C.C.F.C -> a club in decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Gimmick, I was under the impression that Dolan was loved in Cork? Would your view be the standard for Cork supporters?

Hard to gauge really. I know that a lot of the yoinger fans thinks Dolan is the bees knees, but thats simply as they dont realise the work Brian Lennox has done in the last few years. The Internet fans are split, but internet fans generally are tools.

I would say that the majority are still quite suspicious of Dolan and his motives. Cork people dont like moaners, they certainly dont like moaners who are also 'outsiders'. Ever since he took over, he has complained, had an opinion on too much.

Those who were on the fence when it came to him, like myself, have fallen on the side of him being a bad influence in the club. I dont expect him to be manager come May. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If Dolan goes, who comes in? There's no obvious replacement. Apart from The Rod, of course :D

Easy. Stuart Ashton. The U21 manager. He has actually managed to win a few trophies!

Todays Star has a piece about top players going if Dolan is sacked.

heh never a dull moment in EL.

kdjac

That was Stephen O Flynn. Hardly a top player.

And if they do go - cheerio. CCFC will not be held to ransom by a few jumped up little w@nkers. Do City want players who go to the press with their grievances before airing them first privately? Do they fúck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What do you mean jumped up little w@nkers? All they were asking for was proper training pitch. Fair play to the players for not putting up with average facilities. If the players 10 years ago had taken similar steps, maybe we would have proper facilities by now.

Take a look at the hurlers 2 years ago. They went on strike because Frank Murphy was being a bollix and they are now treated much better and have delivered in the past 2 years.

Im glad that our players dont have the "sure, its only the League of ireland" attitude. They care. it shows the progression under the Lennox/Dolan era.

Advertisement