Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racer

Options
  • 24-02-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a boy racer type in his modded Peugeot(?) at the weekend.

Metallic orange, spoiler and trim, tinted windows..... unfortunately as he went of the speed ramp he took the galvanising off his exhaust. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Thats amusing, but the most common car I see scraping their car off ramps is the Skoda Octavia, usually being driven by middle - aged men. They go over too quickly and scrape the underside of the front bumper. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

you saw a boy racer?

perhaps it was a car modifier, my general rule of thumb if you can see it, it is probably a car modifer, if all you hear is an exhaust note doppler shifted it is probably a boy racer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You seem unsure as to the make of car - if you couldn't tell what it was then it was definitely a car modifier and not a boy racer. Are you sure he scraped the galvanising and not the chroming? Or maybe it was a full stainless system and he just scraped it?

Was his car really painted orgage? Or did you mean metallic orgasm?

'c

metallic orgasm?

:D would that not be pink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

edmund - behave !!! ;) i don't fancy going to the nest again.... *chuckles*

• Advertisement

no, calmed down today, before i get up on my high horse about 'boy racers' being the root of all evil, to me reads like 'insert politically incorrect term' being solely responsibile for ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I had the pleasure of an integra tyre-r ride recently [with lowered coil-over thingies to make the car go round corners faster], only he couldn't go much above 20 around town and 40mph on an open road as the thing would literally fall apart with rattles & crashing noises etc...

looked well wkd though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

u saw a boy racer fare play maybe 1 day u can tell your grandkids, actually most of the well done cars are proper car modifiers and the ones on the badly modded ones are the boy racers with their blue washer jets fake bonnet vents and stupid tiny engines that they rev the bollox out of

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

528i wrote:
    I had the pleasure of an integra tyre-r ride recently [with lowered coil-over thingies to make the car go round corners faster], only he couldn't go much above 20 around town and 40mph on an open road as the thing would literally fall apart with rattles & crashing noises etc...

Hey man it’s a Honda your car would fall apart well before this car, also the Type R has harder springs, shocks because it is specifically designed as a performance car, the same reason it has lightened windscreen, less soundproofing, revs up to 8500rpm, Recaro seats, bigger discs, etc. If you don’t understand it don’t comment on it. And as for only able to do 40 mph that’s strange because it has a max speed of 135+, and it would piss all over your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Not another...my dads bigger than your dad motors thread. Hey Automan....if its the 528i I know then its an m5 he has. Im a jap sort of guy myself, but a poxy 1.8 integra would be left gasping.....just dont go there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

528i wrote:

its noisy cos its a light car, your seriously saying, a japanese RACING car couldnt go above 40mph ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

How I interperet 528is statement is that to go over 40 you would need to be wearing a helmet due to the road and wind noise. There is most likely some hyperbole here but if you think about it it makes sense, a racing car, very little sound proofing

Kersh wrote:
    Not another...my dads bigger than your dad motors thread. Hey Automan....if its the 528i I know then its an m5 he has. Im a jap sort of guy myself, but a poxy 1.8 integra would be left gasping.....just dont go there.

BMW M5 = 5 litre V8 so a 528i (2.8litre) is not an M5.

Your not seriously telling me that a 528i will beat an Integra Type-r around a track are you?

BMW 528i
    0-60mph (sec) 7.5
    Max speed (mph) 147

Honda Integra Type-R
    0-60mph 6.7
    Max speed 140

528i is a guy, right. he posts on other forums, right. He HAD a 528i at the time, everyone got to know him as that........he now has an M5...get it...an M5. i dont need crap car stats, a car is only as good as the driver, esp on 0-60 times.

"if its the 528i I know "

So "the" actually means a person and not a car, the car I was referring to (528i) and obviously not the M5 as any sane person would know that a Type-R could not beat an M5 but would beat a 528i.

Ah yes, I see how you read that, my mistake, just to clarify the poster '528i', afaik, he owns an M5.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was dark and I was too busy trying to work out the car colour (difficult under yellow sodium lamps) to actually notice the make.

I don't know if he was a racer or a modder, but I suspect modders would actually spend money on their suspension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

oops, I wasn't dissin' the Teg-R there boys.. merely stating the impracticality of this particular 'mod',.. (and how this suddenly turned into a race I don't know).. the lowered coilover suspension setup was/is just ridiculous for irish roads, and you see this boyracing mod all the time., slammin' I think its called (fine for a billiard smooth road surface), same goes for most those aftermarket 19" rims with rubber-band tyres.. they actually ruin a cars handling rather than this commonly perceived performance advantage that brainless maxers would have you believe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fiesta here at home with so much sh*t on it it takes years for him to reach 40mph, and since it is only a 1.1 then he barely makes it about 40mph anyway!!!

Remember in Limerick there was a lad in a black Mazda 323 saloon, with big wides wheels (about 3 inches outside the wheel arch) on the back and little wheelbarrow wheels on the front, gave us a good laugh

actually most maxers as u call them know that bigger rims are not the best for the car for a number of reasons such as it makes acceleration slower but then if u actually look theres a trade off between looks and not affecting acceleration too much, most proper modders will go from 14s or 15s to 17s but its only the pikey knacers that will go above this............unless the car is just a show car and garaged the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

'Best one' i ever saw, i pulled up behind a modified civic at a set of traffic lights, with a fairly obvious dual exhaust system. The funny thing was, there was smoke pouring out of one side and nothing coming out of the other....on closer inspection , it appeared the guy has just bolted an exhaust box to one side of the rear, which was in no way connected to the rest of the exhaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

When is the last time you saw a heavily modded car stuck in a ditch? Reason being, most lads who do up a car treat it like gold....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Boggle wrote:
    When is the last time you saw a heavily modded car stuck in a ditch? Reason being, most lads who do up a car treat it like gold....

It's true.

very true would u just burn 10-15k. its the nackers who put them in ditches with their "modified" cars that all have the same wheels and bodykit. They must get a special offer or somthing at "nackers r us"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

very hard to be original nowadays thats the reason there are so many weird sometimes stupid looking motors!!!
    but if they are not breaking the law and acting the tit in housing estates , they deserve respect like all other road users ,including skoda and bmw drivers :D

Advertisement