Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omlettes

• 24-02-2005 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im getting sick of having the same food all the time so im gonna try an omlette tomorrow. Im not the best of cooks at all so im looking for ideas of a really low fat healthy omlette, or other quick yummy low fat weight watcher friendly foods! Havent made an omlette before so i need exact instructions and measures etc. Any ideas what to put in it?
    Im sick of frozen meals, chicken, veg and baked potato. I need some new meals a.s.a.p! Any ideas are appreciated :)
    p.s. Im pretty sure i spelt omlette wrong so sorry in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The classic french omelette
    Ingredients: (serves 1)
    3 eggs
    3 teaspoons water
    Half tbsp. fresh herbs, chopped
    Salt and pepper
    A little oil

Filling:
    25g (1oz) bacon, diced
    25g (1oz) oyster or button mushrooms, chopped
    15g (Half oz) Farmhouse Cheese

To cook:
    Step 1: Prepare the filling: Toss the bacon in a hot pan with a little oil. Add the mushrooms, cook for 1-2 minutes and set aside with the cheese.

Step 2: A non-stick omelette pan is essential. Beat the eggs, water, herbs and seasoning together. Heat the pan well, add a little oil, pour the egg mixture. Work quickly, drawing the egg to the centre of the pan as it begins to set. This allows the uncooked mixture to reach the base of the pan. Continue until you have the omelette cooked to your liking.

Step 3: Place the filling along the centre of the omelette. Starting at the handle, fold over the omelette one third. Slide the omelette down the pan.

Step 4: With your hand under the handle, tip the omelette onto a warm plate, making the third fold. Sprinkle with finely grated regato cheese (optional) and serve with a mixed salad.

found here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Thanx for that. think i'll try it tomorrow night. One more thing, what would go nice with an omlette, something really filling and low fat? Please dont say baked potato, i cant eat another one for ages, so sick of them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Bowl of rice? Polenta? Spaghetti with tomato sauce? Or you could put breadcrumbs in the omelette to make it more filling.

yeah maybe some rice...mmm. Looking forward to tomorrows dinner already, thanx :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some asparagus, wrapped in bacon. Ehm, low-fat bacon, of course.

• Advertisement

Maybe those low fat turkey rashers instead of bacon? I havta admit Ive never had asparagus before. Whats it like? and how would i cook it? Does it taste similar to any other veg? Brocolli perhaps? Im a bit of a brocolli junkie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i always put loads of stuff in omlettes and just eat it without anything els on the side.

3-4 eggs and some onion, mushrooms, bacon/ham, cheese & tomato should fill you up.

don't worry about what you put in too much, as long as you cook it over a medium-low heat and finish it off under the grill when the bottom is starting to brown off, you'll be fine.

bit of salt and pepper in there too, makes all the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The next step up from an omelette is a frittata. That's like a super-thick omelette, and it's an all-in-one meal so you really don't need anything on the side.

Google "frittata" for a number of decent recipes; I find that they're great to make if I have cooked potatoes from last night hanging around.

I take two eggs (per person) and beat them in a bowl with some pepper. I don't add any salt because I used bacon.

I fry some chopped and defatted bacon, finely chopped onion and mushrooms in a small amount of butter, then add chopped cooked potatoes, then add whatever other veggies you fancy - even a handful of spinach and let it cook until wilted down.

Once I'm sure that the ingredients in the pan are all either cooked - or piping hot, in the case of the potatoes - I add a handful of chopped parsley and then turn the heat down to about mid-level, and pour the beaten eggs over the lot.

Your pan will probably be quite full. Turning the heat down means that the frittata has a chance to cook through without burning on the bottom. If the top won't set, cheat and put the pan under a medium grill.

Once it's cooked (it will have "set" in the pan and won't be wobbly all over the place), slide onto a plate and cut into wedges. It's perfect on its own, or with salad. If you're any good at chopping veggies quickly, this should take less than 30 mins from start to finish. 10 mins prep, 10 mins cooking ingredients in the pan, and 10 minutes for the eggs to set.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

since you asked about asparagus, here's a quick suggestion:

break off the woody parts at the bottom of the asparagus (you only have to do this with whole asparagus don't bother if you just have the asparagus tips) put in an overproof dish with olive oil, crushed garlic, sea salt, coarsely ground pepper and fresh basil leaves.
    Toss ingrediants around together to get the oil over everything. Put in a hot oven for 20 mins. Toss half way through cooking to ensure all the asapragus gets cooked nicely.
    eat with fresh baguette or ciabatta to soak up the left over oil. Delicious and quite a healthy option.

The other unhealthy way to eay asparagus is steamed for 10mins or so and dipped in melted butter mmmmmmm....

asparagus doesn't taste anything like brocolli but it does have a very nice light taste that is enhanced by the garlic and basil or by the melted butter.

Ps I've always found myself quite full after eating just an omelette on it's own usually a 2 or 3 egg one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

The next step up from an omelette is a frittata. That's like a super-thick omelette, and it's an all-in-one meal so you really don't need anything on the side.

Google "frittata" for a number of decent recipes; I find that they're great to make if I have cooked potatoes from last night hanging around.

Havent made this Frittata yet , but it looks really good
    http://www.bordbia.ie/go/Consumers/Recipes/breakfasts/frittata.html

There is loads of recipes here as well
    http://www.bordbia.ie/Consumers/Recipes

enjoy . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement